Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

RMM supercharger Blow off valve & Pulley

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-03, 09:11 AM
jcramair1
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RMM supercharger Blow off valve & Pulley

I recently installed the RMM Supercharger on my car and I remember sometime ago someone talking about having a Blow-Off valve that they got from Area 51 and a smaller pulley for more boost from Vortech.

I cannot find a telephone number for Area 51, also does anyone have recommendations for aftermarket an aftermarket boost gauge.
Old 04-21-03, 10:22 AM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Just wondering...I could be wrong...

Aren't blow off valves for turbo applications? And it's usually to keep the turbos spooled up during shifting? What good would it do for a SC when it's not the exhaust that is driving the turbine but the belt and intake air? I am a little confused. Can someone clarify this for me? Thanks!

Brent
Old 04-21-03, 01:07 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think Area51 and most other S/C kits for the GS are those hybrid turbo/supercharge units, which can use a BOV. It's not one of those root design superchargers which are 100% mechanical. So I think if it's one of those hybrid types then it can use a BOV.
Old 04-21-03, 01:35 PM
JL4785
Pole Position

area 51 actually closed down not to long ago...
Old 04-21-03, 01:50 PM
jcramair1
Lead Lap

Originally posted by JL4785
area 51 actually closed down not to long ago...
Why did they close down, seem to be a pretty good operation from what I heard on these boards.
Old 04-21-03, 02:10 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mr. Johnsons' SRT Stage 4/5 SC has a BOV. Shoot him a PM.
Old 04-21-03, 02:11 PM
JL4785
Pole Position

Originally posted by jcramair1
Why did they close down, seem to be a pretty good operation from what I heard on these boards.
Not too sure on all the details on why they closed down... I heard it wasn't pretty... However, they were a great shop... Very dependable... its just too bad they had to close shop...
Old 04-21-03, 06:45 PM
LexBubble
Rookie

I am not the smartest guy on the block but I believe that the purpose of the Blow Off Valve on a supercharged engine is due to compressor surge, basically meaning that the throttle is closed but the supercharger is still creating boost since it is spinning via the crank. When you are slowing down or shifting just like with a turbo, you need to have a place for the boost to go when it is excessively high and with a blow off valve, the air is released out of the supercharger system. If not, under high boost situations, the pressurized air would be forced back into the supercharger which might cause damage to the unit intself. Don't quote me nut I am pretty sure that is what would happen.
Old 04-21-03, 09:12 PM
kodai
Driver

Why a Blow-off Valve (BOV), is needed?

--To eliminate compressor surge when changing gears. Excessive backpressure is created when the throttle is closed during gear changes or deceleration, causing turbo cavitation. This is detrimental to the life of your turbocharger; however fitting a BOV will substantially improve this problem.

--By installing a BOV you will significantly reduce turbo spool up time. You will notice a substantial improvement in response from your turbo between gearshifts. Boost will come on earlier giving an increase in torque at lower RPM.
Old 04-28-03, 05:31 PM
roenick7
Driver

That was me. I have almost every pulley for that S/C what boost are you running and what do you want? I have tried ALL the pully sizes made.

silverman_gary@hotmail.com

email me I will give you my number and we can talk shop.