Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

just installed the Supra differential LSD, DIY post on my site

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-03, 08:14 AM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking just installed the Supra differential LSD, DIY post on my site

I like, i like, LSD should be a factory option, the VSC is just scrap

Last edited by BananaGS; 04-22-03 at 02:24 PM.
Old 04-22-03, 08:28 AM
skier1
Driver School Candidate

he he he. Pretty good mod huh!

Nice write up on your webpage BananaGS! Lot's of good info there. I haven't noticed much of a gas mileage difference, but I do hit the rev limiter in first gear. Someday, I will do what you suggest. Go to 18's or 19's and that problem should go away.

Thanks for the mention of me in your note <blush>

hahahahah

Last edited by skier1; 04-22-03 at 08:35 AM.
Old 04-22-03, 09:40 AM
jeffandi
Driver

Just got mine installed last week. I think I'll need a neck brace soon. Every time I touch the gas, my head snaps back

Jeff
Old 04-22-03, 02:10 PM
fireballs gs400
Lexus Champion

Question interested in one

anyone know where i can find one used perhaps. Banana, didn't you say you knew a fella who had some available maybe....
Old 04-22-03, 02:22 PM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

-try to look around the supraforums.com
I know a guy who work/owns MPVmotorsport, he had 3 diff last months, I got one, the rest are sold now. Maybe he will have it again, since his shop does a lot of 6sp conversion.

His name is Ben, OBIWAN84@aol.com
send him a mail or just call junkyards

on another note: it was raining today, I took a quick turn (90degree turn) where I alway slip, this time, the car just stick the curve, no slipping
accelerate from complete stop in wet road is also improved (not just with the higher gear) but I don't break traction anymore

Anh

Last edited by BananaGS; 04-22-03 at 02:43 PM.
Old 04-22-03, 07:19 PM
GreddyEddy
Rookie

The pics you posted of your differential is NOT a LSD.
I see 2 spider gears and 2 side gears (definetly an open diff.)
I hope it was a picture of your stock diff.
In 97 and 98 LSD was an option.
Torsen differentials have 2 worm gears and 4 worm wheels.
I was worried when i got mine because you cannot test it from the outside.
Could not return it if i opened it up.
So took off the fill or drain plug and peeked inside and saw the worm wheels.
Sorry about the bad news .
This is a picture of a torsen diff.
http://mkiv.supras.org.nz/images/articles/torsen4.gif
or read the whole article on it
http://mkiv.supras.org.nz
click articles and look for torsen differential.
Old 04-22-03, 10:58 PM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

Greddy, but that does not explain my gain traction, maybe I need to push the limit a bit harder, i had the car slide half way already, and the VSC still havent kick in, it normally did. I will test some more. I do know that the gear is 3.76 for sure, i measured it. I never seen the inside of the supra LSD gear so i am not sure, but the guy who sold me the gear, he is like "steve gantz" here on the supra forum, i believed him if he said that is this an LSD unit, but he is not sure what year for sure.

I will double check again, since this look like the open diff. Thank you for pointing it out.
I should get my money back for this hee hee

Anh

Originally posted by GreddyEddy
The pics you posted of your differential is NOT a LSD.
I see 2 spider gears and 2 side gears (definetly an open diff.)
I hope it was a picture of your stock diff.
In 97 and 98 LSD was an option.
Torsen differentials have 2 worm gears and 4 worm wheels.
I was worried when i got mine because you cannot test it from the outside.
Could not return it if i opened it up.
So took off the fill or drain plug and peeked inside and saw the worm wheels.
Sorry about the bad news .
This is a picture of a torsen diff.
http://mkiv.supras.org.nz/images/articles/torsen4.gif
or read the whole article on it
http://mkiv.supras.org.nz
click articles and look for torsen differential.

Last edited by BananaGS; 04-22-03 at 11:09 PM.
Old 04-23-03, 03:37 PM
JZS14SEVEN
Driver

Default test for a Torsen?

RWD car gotta drive the car to see if it is a Torsen diff...
know how the test goes?
Old 04-23-03, 04:12 PM
JacobT

Originally posted by BananaGS
Greddy, but that does not explain my gain traction, maybe I need to push the limit a bit harder, i had the car slide half way already, and the VSC still havent kick in, it normally did. I will test some more. I do know that the gear is 3.76 for sure, i measured it. I never seen the inside of the supra LSD gear so i am not sure, but the guy who sold me the gear, he is like "steve gantz" here on the supra forum, i believed him if he said that is this an LSD unit, but he is not sure what year for sure.

I will double check again, since this look like the open diff. Thank you for pointing it out.
I should get my money back for this hee hee

Anh
Anh,

The pics you posted did look like the stock open diff. for me. I thought you posted the stock one just to show how the gear looks like. I have the stock open unit in my garage if you want to compare.
Old 04-23-03, 05:50 PM
GreddyEddy
Rookie

It is kinda strange that you have added traction tho?
But this is the picture your posted on 3-16-03
Notice the worm wheel to the left of the T in TRD that you have circled.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=77438
Old 04-25-03, 09:22 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Been there, done that.

I bought a Supra TT 3.77 gear differential from a 97 automatic (everyone calls them 3.76 but they are actually a 3.769 ratio and that my friends is a 3.77). The guy was POSTIVE it was a Torsen LSD and in fact had been to the dragstrip and it had spun both tires. He also was CERTAIN his car was sold with the LSD option (LSD was an OPTION on 97-98 automatic Supra TTs). Well, I had to change rear covers to make it fit my LS400 and GUESS WHAT!!! It was an OPEN differential, just like the one you show. I argued for days with the seller with him SWEARING it was a LSD. Finally, he believed me and took it back. Another MKVI.com member was selling his 98 diff with essentially the same story. He even had an SC400 and said the traction was night and day and he was CERTAIN it was an LSD. I explained the above and convinced him to open his for inspection and sure enough... NOT and LSD!!!

This situation is both confusing and maddening. Nevertheless, it appears that Toyota/Lexus differentials can wear in the thrust bushing area of the spider gears causing friction. This friction binds the spider gears and has the effect of emulating a limited slip. I have observed this on several higher mileage LS400s and SC400s that NEVER were available with a mechanical LSD.

So, Banana, what you have is a 3.77 geared open diff Supra differential and most likely a worn/sticky spider gear assembly. This will definitely give you better acceleration and SOME LSD properties. Understand that even an open differential supplies torque to BOTH tires UNLESS one tire looses traction. Then and only then does the LSD make a difference. This is needed for hard acceleration both from a standstill and through corners where weight shift causes one tire to have much less traction. If you are enjoying the gearing... great, have fun. If you demanded an LSD... sorry, you don't have one. Your options are removing and returning this diff or installing a TRD clutch types LSD pack. Sorry for the bad news.

Everyone, word to the wise, BEFORE buying a used Supra TT LSD for your car have the seller remove the rear cover and send pictures to confirm it as a true LSD. This should only be necessary on 97-98 Supras as the 93-96 cars should ALL be LSD.
Old 04-25-03, 01:14 PM
tomtnc
Pole Position

Originally posted by jbrady

Everyone, word to the wise, BEFORE buying a used Supra TT LSD for your car have the seller remove the rear cover and send pictures to confirm it as a true LSD. This should only be necessary on 97-98 Supras as the 93-96 cars should ALL be LSD.
Well said. I'll add some more info that will hopefully prevent this from happening to others in the future.

I'm in the market for a used Supra TT diff. I've turned down two sellers that were not willing to take off the diff cover and confirm ratio and LSD. One seller, a Supra tuner, said he "didn't have time" (what a joke). The other guy didn't seem like he could manage to remove the eight bolts that held on the cover (what a joke).

Protect yourself. Don't buy a used Supra diff unless:

1. the seller removes the diff cover for ratio and LSD confirmation. This is an easy task - approximately 8 bolts and it's off.
2. the seller counts the number of teeth on the ring and pinion gears to confirm 3.769 ratio. There should be 13 teeth on the pinion and 49 on ring gear for the 3.769 ratio. Supra TT LSD diff for all manual trans models was 3.133 ratio; 15 teeth on the pinion and 47 teeth on the ring gear.
3. the seller sends pictures of differential carrier to confirm Torsen LSD.

T
Old 04-25-03, 08:24 PM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

the 3.77 gearing still GREAT, I get better traction and great acceleration now. I am trying to get the seller to drop the price instead of removing it, I don't think I can drive w/o the 3.77 gear any more, the car is a different beast now, definitely better and SRT intake

Last edited by BananaGS; 04-25-03 at 08:28 PM.
Old 04-29-03, 11:11 AM
fireballs gs400
Lexus Champion

Default very confused

what should i get then? i am sooo confused. lol but really, i dont know what i should go look for, i want the best possible part i guess, i don't go over 132 mph much, and well i want some 0-132 power.
Old 05-06-03, 10:54 PM
lexoman
Rookie

Default lsd ? how can i test

i purchaced a 99 gs400 last oct 2002 with some mods rmm full kit,front strut brace,lower front
brace,do gs 400 come with trd shocks? rmm intake,rmm exhaust,how can i tell if i have lsd. can i tell by power braking if i have a lsd? please help.

Quick Reply: just installed the Supra differential LSD, DIY post on my site