Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

K&N Intake - WOW

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-03, 07:49 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

Drew - one comment on the K&N intake from my experience. After disconnecting the battery terminal the factory ECU is reset of course. I found it took some driving (100mi. maybe?) for the ECU to adjust to the intake and give a good response so I'm just suggesting you not base your judgement only on a couple of miles of driving. Also, maybe I just got used to it but the intake now sounds quieter to me than when I first put it on, but that's fine. At WOT over 4000rpm I thought it was real loud when I first put it on. Now to me it doesn't sound as loud, it just sounds AWESOME.
Old 06-21-03, 08:21 AM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

BIt, thanks for the headup.
I wont pass judgement till after our meet which is sunday 6/29. We are heading up somewhere in upstate NY, so I will log in the 100 miles during this trip. Plus about 100 miles during my work commute next week.

Bit, do you also have a aftermarket exhaust? Also, under normal driving do you see an improvement is gas mileage?

In anticipation of the louder noise, I order the SRT cover designed by Kajubenko. I personally crave the noise after 4k RPM's as it is a good noise and not the drone sound of the aftermarket exhausts. I just want to limit to some degree the noise that transmits into the cabin.

I know this unit is designed for the SRT intake, but I think I can easily customize and adapt it to the K&N intake.

Noise that radiates inside the cabin at lower RPM's and during everyday driving is what my wife and I hate. This was one of the main reasons I got rid of the exhaust. The other reason, is I felt the car was sluggish do to a loss of backpressure on takeoff's. Keep in mind, I also did not have any aftermarket intake which could of made a difference and compensated for the loss of back pressure.
Old 06-21-03, 11:15 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

Well ya can ignore what I said... Last night I had to disconnect my battery to put on the teckkits.com grounding wire kit I just got (really nicely made kit! will post comments in another thread soon)... so today I go for a ride in my car... beautiful clear day, low humidity... my car goes like snot out of a rhino sneezing!

Originally posted by DrewGS4
Bit, do you also have a aftermarket exhaust? Also, under normal driving do you see an improvement is gas mileage?
Yes I have an L-Tuned exhaust, but the only way I could see an improvement in gas mileage is if I didn't have lead feet. I also have the PI Torque Converter so my mileage isn't great. I enjoy tromping the gas, but my car is basically too fast for the surface streets around where I live.

In anticipation of the louder noise, I order the SRT cover designed by Kajubenko. I personally crave the noise after 4k RPM's as it is a good noise and not the drone sound of the aftermarket exhausts. I just want to limit to some degree the noise that transmits into the cabin.

I know this unit is designed for the SRT intake, but I think I can easily customize and adapt it to the K&N intake.
OK, could be a fair bit of customizing. The heat shield supplied with the K&N is really nice quality. And I think the K&N intake is less noisy than the SRT anyway (and no whistling!) so I'm not sure you'll need or want the box.

Noise that radiates inside the cabin at lower RPM's and during everyday driving is what my wife and I hate. This was one of the main reasons I got rid of the exhaust. The other reason, is I felt the car was sluggish do to a loss of backpressure on takeoff's. Keep in mind, I also did not have any aftermarket intake which could of made a difference and compensated for the loss of back pressure.
My L-Tuned exhaust certainly didn't make my car sluggish - if anything I think it made it quicker. But I understand disliking the noise at low rpms. I sound proofed the trunk and under the back seat and got the PI TC which keeps rpms a big higher, both of which lessened the exhaust noise.

Anyway, good luck with everything! Will be interested to see your comments.