Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Engine Ticking

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-03, 05:09 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Ticking

When my 2003 GS430 is cold, and it is cold outside, I have engine knock from the right side of the engine. Almost like bad gas but
1. Have tried Amoco Ultimate, Shell Premium, and Mobil Premium all the same result
2. Only occurs when engine is cold and outside temp is below say 50.

Dealer was able to reproduce it and of course they say bad gas. Drove another 2003 that did not have the issue. Drove a friends 2000 and noticed it slightly - even when his car was warm. Dealer claims there is no adjustment, added a fuel additive and of course, the issue still exists.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Doug
Old 04-29-03, 07:36 PM
Navaz
Pole Position

You mean that sound is not normal. I thought it was since my old 92 LS 400 (RIP), did it My GS does and so does my SC 400.
Old 04-30-03, 05:55 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

The first dealer claimed it was the fuel injectors. Lexus does use the big ones and they do make noise. But this goes away when the car warms up and only seems to come from the right side of the engine. Plus, like I said, the other 2003 GS430 I drove did not have that issue.

How loud is it on your GS and SC?
Old 04-30-03, 06:02 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When others have talked of 'clicking', their resolution came form adjusting the lifters (by the dealer). I have no internal mechanical knowledge really, just passing along read experiences.

I have to ask - Have you tried a Search on 'clikcing' or 'tapping'?
Old 04-30-03, 11:04 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Thanks Dex
I believe the lifters are hydraulic and therefore there is no adjustment. I'll give the search a try however.
Old 05-04-03, 10:39 PM
elclassico
Lead Lap

Default i think its normal

!
Old 05-05-03, 12:24 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

First off, there is no way this can be considered normal. For several reasons
1. This is a Lexus right? Known for being ultra quiet right? Everybody on the board points to the fact that this car is so quiet. The fact that you can hear this noise "just because the car is so quiet" is total bunk.
2. The other 2003 GS430 I drove did NOT exhibit this noise.

Personally, I think it might be the engine cover resonating because of the fuel injectors (which are known to be noisy). I did a search (thanks Dex) and I read about RX300 owners having this problem and being told by their dealers that it is an injector issue. I know my wife's RX300 however does NOT have this noise.
Old 05-05-03, 12:36 PM
elclassico
Lead Lap

Default then its not normal

talk to all the mech you want, i never heard of a mechanic turning down business. all the lexs ive had experince with make that noise at warm up only. ya its a lex, but its still a car, its not a hover craft, its normal to make some noise. oh my lex made a tick, time to take it to the dealer. they love people like that. not personal. just saying, to me its normal, never even thought twice about it! good luck!
Old 05-05-03, 02:16 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

I would be surprised if the amount of noise my car is making is normal. Like I said, it is a 2003 and the other 2003 I drove did not make this noise, nor does my wife's RX300.

My friends 2000 GS400 had a hint of it - hint. I can deal with that. This is an engine knock/bad gas kind of ping. Far, far worse when the weather is cold and only from the right side of the engine The kind of noise where your passenger looks at you and says "What's that?". I would love telling them, "That's my $54K Lexus and they all do that".

BTW, the ES300 loaner I had did not make this noise at all.

Basically, if my steering is going to be this loose and the handling this bad ("remember sir, this is a Lexus luxury car and is not tuned like a BMW" - actually quote from dealer), then the engine should not have a ticking noise. Pretty simple.
Old 05-05-03, 07:10 PM
elclassico
Lead Lap

Arrow ya that does sound a bid abnormal

sounds like your not too happy with your lex, why dont you trade it in for a "bmtrouble you". good luck!
Old 05-05-03, 07:25 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Originally posted by doug_999
Basically, if my steering is going to be this loose and the handling this bad ("remember sir, this is a Lexus luxury car and is not tuned like a BMW" - actually quote from dealer), then the engine should not have a ticking noise. Pretty simple.
Doug - face it, you hate the GS. You've complained about it since the day you bought it. You should sell it and move on.
Old 05-06-03, 06:30 AM
ChrisK
Lead Lap

Doug,

Chicago Lexus Club met twice this year already. Why don't you meet with us so we can go through all the problems you are having and you can compare your car with others.
I have a friend who drives 00 540i Sport, also the other one had 97 540i non-Sport and now has 99 740i. 97 540i non-Sport was literally a piece of junk, he hated it, everybody who drove it hated it, and so he got 740i. Let me tell you that 740i is much better car, even then it comes to handling, than that 97 540i was. On the other hand 00 540i Sport is very nice car and I enjoy driving it. When you drive it fast, it feels fast, you know how fast you are going and it is stable. On the other hand when I drive my 00 GS400, it is fast but you don't feel how fast it is, and that is the way I like it. On time I drove 00 911 6-speed and I always caught myself surprised how fast I was going. When I was doing over 70mph at the end of the second gear, in no time, I was very surprised. In this regard GS4xx feels sportier than 540i to me.

Last edited by ChrisK; 05-06-03 at 06:31 AM.
Old 05-06-03, 02:06 PM
RI-GS4
Driver

Default Lifters -

The reason that you are getting a clicking noise is because you have hydraulic lifters. When your car is cold they would normally make this noise and when your car warms up the noise will go away. When I first bought my car I noticed it the same noise and my mech. told me that this was the reason why. He made me test it so he can prove his point. He told me in the morning when I first turn on the car and starts to make the ticking noise run the car up to 70mph and back down, this will obviously warm up the car and the noise will go away. Hopefully this helps

Last edited by RI-GS4; 05-06-03 at 02:13 PM.
Old 05-08-03, 05:49 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by elclassico
sounds like your not too happy with your lex, why dont you trade it in for a "bmtrouble you". good luck!
It is you're - as in you're using bad grammar

Originally posted by bitkahuna
Doug - face it, you hate the GS. You've complained about it since the day you bought it. You should sell it and move on.
Actually I hate the car only because of what it is represented as and the fact that it isn't. I really thought the car was a competitor to the 540 - it's not. Not even in the same ballpark. Yea, I know it is a lot cheaper, but still, I didn't think I was downgrading this much.

Anyway, my point to elclassico is that if this really is normal, why doesn't it happen on all Lexus'? Why did the other 2003 GS I drove not exhibit this? (Don’t worry; the mechanic riding with was stumped as well).

Finally, my basic point is that if the car is going to ride like a luxury car and handle like one, it should be quiet like one. Why is this asking so much?

Last edited by doug_999; 05-09-03 at 04:57 AM.
Old 05-08-03, 05:52 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by ChrisK
Doug,

Chicago Lexus Club met twice this year already. Why don't you meet with us so we can go through all the problems you are having and you can compare your car with others.
I'm in Chris. Let me know when and where the next meet is.

Quick Reply: Engine Ticking