Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Intake mod results

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-22 | 12:09 PM
00goobs
Intermediate

I think D3 Performance tuner uses BitEdit for tuning. The software looks the same.

Do you have a way to log cam angles? I would like to know what they are vs. RPM.....
Old 04-06-22 | 12:18 PM
DickH
Intermediate

I tried contacting d3 and they said they don't do 07, I don't know what they use. I don't know how to log cam angles, I'd love to log them. Best I can do is edit the cam tables and hope that's what the car does.
Old 04-06-22 | 03:03 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

D3 does use BitEdit. Both the Dyno Tuner and the Software loader told me they do.
Old 04-06-22 | 03:07 PM
DickH
Intermediate

BitEdit seems ok, but also seems to be lacking for making custom tunes with. Either that or there are hidden features I don't know about. One thing I'd really like to do is extend some of the tables to cover a higher rpm range. I think I have a table or two that ends at 6000rpm.
Old 04-06-22 | 05:44 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Likely some hidden, its has a million Tables to use from the one I saw.

I posted this before some where, but have you seen this before?
https://wilhelmraceworks.com/blog/2gr-power-gains
The following users liked this post:
MrHarris (04-13-22)
Old 04-06-22 | 10:35 PM
00goobs
Intermediate

HP Tuners works with a few V6 Tacomas. 05-15 1GRFE.... Promising as I am sure their software and maps make direct effects on the other cars I've used them in.

Thanks for your work. I feel like the best thing we can do for DIY tuning is log MAF #s....
Old 04-09-22 | 07:55 PM
DickH
Intermediate

I only log my maf as it's the easiest way for me to see improvements. Bummer that my numbers are less relevant when comparing with others now that I've messed with my maf scaling. Speaking of, I am on my third revision for my maf scaling dialed it all back 2% and so far fuel trims seem about right. I don't think I'll chase it any further as the car runs fine and there won't be anything to gain. Did a couple WOT pulls and peaked at 267g/s which is about what I would have expected previously. I think I'll get a few good logs with the car as is then try the larger throttle body again. After that I think I will tackle the intake manifold to see what I can get out of it.
MrHarris (04-13-22)
Old 04-13-22 | 01:46 PM
MrHarris
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DickH
I only log my maf as it's the easiest way for me to see improvements. Bummer that my numbers are less relevant when comparing with others now that I've messed with my maf scaling. Speaking of, I am on my third revision for my maf scaling dialed it all back 2% and so far fuel trims seem about right. I don't think I'll chase it any further as the car runs fine and there won't be anything to gain. Did a couple WOT pulls and peaked at 267g/s which is about what I would have expected previously. I think I'll get a few good logs with the car as is then try the larger throttle body again. After that I think I will tackle the intake manifold to see what I can get out of it.

let us know your findings on the larger throttle body
Old 04-23-22 | 09:27 AM
MrHarris
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
Numbers from a stock 2013 2GR-FSE.
MAF sensor g/s 225 @6,533 RPM whereby the AFR dropped to 12.0 in PWR mode. Need to repeat in normal mode.

@DickH DickH did I read that right, 220 g/s at 7.5k ? No typos?
@redspencer Redspsencer can you post up your numbers with your current mods?
@MikeFig82 mikefig I know yours is a 250, can you also post up your numbers with your current mods?

Thanks guys!

does that mean power mode is a good thing or a bad thing?
Old 05-04-22 | 08:00 AM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MrHarris
does that mean power mode is a good thing or a bad thing?
See my post​​​​​ #58 it has what I was able to see at the time. I haven't checked again since.

For now I'm back on the stock intake. I feel it gets all its low end grunt back. The after market intakes are good, but you won't notice the benefits up untill near red line rpms. Since my commute is mostly bumper to bumper. I'd rather have the low end grunt for this.

Actually last night I took out my TB screen again. I cut the grill off again then slapped it back on. My commute is about 12 miles from work to home. The car was probably adjusting I didn't notice much change. Though this morning I notice a better low end response all the way up to near redline. I'm not getting a delay when mashing on the gas. This could be just my butt dyno, but it does feel different.

The mesh gril is pretty sturdy. I somewhat bent it up trying to cut the tabs with crappy wire cutters. This morning I brought an extra TB gasket to work. I'll use better cutters to trim the grill off. This way the gasket won't deform.

Last edited by MikeFig82; 05-04-22 at 09:06 AM.
Old 05-05-22 | 07:06 AM
Ultra4
Intermediate

This is just me navel-gazing, but that screen strikes me as an air straightener. The miniscule restriction it offers allows the higher pressure/faster air going past the part of the throttle blade that's tilting inward to equalize with the slower moving slug of air taking the path that has the blade moving into/toward airflow. I'm not sure about a 2GR intake, but on the 4GR intake, whichever side of the throttle blade gets more air ends up feeding that bank of cylinders at the expense of air into the other bank of cylinders, since ~100mm after the screen, the intake splits into two distinct paths that only meet again at the ACIS flap.

I spend my mornings listening to NPR and drinking my coffee right next to the 4GR intake I cut up and the 3GR intake with broken details from my JDM engine. What started out as, "what a pile of nonesense" has morphed into, "I bet I can recreate this with brazed brass..."
MikeFig82 (05-06-22)
Old 05-05-22 | 07:48 AM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Ultra4
This is just me navel-gazing, but that screen strikes me as an air straightener. The miniscule restriction it offers allows the higher pressure/faster air going past the part of the throttle blade that's tilting inward to equalize with the slower moving slug of air taking the path that has the blade moving into/toward airflow. I'm not sure about a 2GR intake, but on the 4GR intake, whichever side of the throttle blade gets more air ends up feeding that bank of cylinders at the expense of air into the other bank of cylinders, since ~100mm after the screen, the intake splits into two distinct paths that only meet again at the ACIS flap.

I spend my mornings listening to NPR and drinking my coffee right next to the 4GR intake I cut up and the 3GR intake with broken details from my JDM engine. What started out as, "what a pile of nonesense" has morphed into, "I bet I can recreate this with brazed brass..."
Yes I agree. I have searched high and low for details. The only thing I was able confirm it's used as a spark arrestor. Though it never clearly states is it for air straightening as well. Another is I looked at many Toyota line up cars. Some TB gaskets have full grill while others are just partial. While speaking of the arrestor my car sat in the sun all day. Removing the intake pipe the carbon trap is doing its job. I could smell fuel vapors trapped mostly at the throttle body.

For now I see no adverse affects so far. I do notice a slight rumble near the firewall. For the time I was using the HPS intake pipe. Having the grill cut out the rumble was more pronounced. This time I'll leve it cut out for maybe a full OCI.

Last edited by MikeFig82; 05-05-22 at 08:08 AM.
Old 05-05-22 | 08:20 AM
Ultra4
Intermediate

Another thing that occurred to me is that it could be isolating the throttle body from the engine's vacuum signals...but the noise doodads they put on the intake tube wouldn't work if that were the case. Meh. Like I said, just navel-gazing.

Spark arrestor? OK, now I HAVE to try out the maxi-ported heads, just to see if the encroachment up the primaries is that bad
Old 05-05-22 | 09:09 AM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Ultra4
Another thing that occurred to me is that it could be isolating the throttle body from the engine's vacuum signals...but the noise doodads they put on the intake tube wouldn't work if that were the case. Meh. Like I said, just navel-gazing.

Spark arrestor? OK, now I HAVE to try out the maxi-ported heads, just to see if the encroachment up the primaries is that bad
Have a read here:

https://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=62585

https://www.justanswer.com/toyota/4m...-throttle.html

https://www.spyderchat.com/threads/s...purpose.71002/
jgscott (05-06-22)
Old 05-06-22 | 07:44 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

I did research on this too. Lacks a real def answer about it still? I also considered that it was to prevent objects from getting into the TB mani and engine. There are lots of cases of ppl who had rodents eat through the air box filter and get up in there. They like air boxes, tubes and to eat wiring. There was a few thread here on CL where ppl had this problem

. I polished and very slightly coned shaped my TB, and did my upper and lower Intake mani. I think I am going to leave that screen alone. I really cant see the wire restricting after I did the TB, and upper and lower Intake mani. I also could be wrong but seeing other cars spark arrest before. I don't really see that screen helping that situation at all. Those are my thoughts anyway.
MikeFig82 (05-06-22)

Quick Reply: Intake mod results