Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

IS200t - Boost issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-20, 01:28 AM
tnilc
Instructor

Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

My 2018 Lexus RC300 with 9K miles and I are subscribing to this thread.

Appears that I am suffering the same symptons. Thanks to Flash5 for pointing me in this direction.

I first noticed this issue some time ago when I added my invidia midpipe to my PPE catless downpipe, TTI turbo muffler delete and Injen intake. I was still running my stock axle backs so I thought the issue was related to bottle necking from the stock axle backs. It only was slightly noticeable above 3k rpms but it was pretty subtle but I attributed it to my stock axle backs.

I'll be ordering 25819-0w010 and 25760-36051 today!

BTW, did anyone else get a P0001 CEL code?

Last edited by tnilc; 02-09-20 at 01:44 AM.
Old 02-09-20, 11:30 AM
tnilc
Instructor

Some of the videos aren't available anymore but I uploaded a vid/sound clip of mine. You can hear the car struggling. Is this similar sounding to your guys issue?

https://i.imgur.com/3ORgERx.mp4
Old 02-11-20, 10:11 PM
tnilc
Instructor

Originally Posted by Flash5
Not that I know of, but the TSB actually does a decent job as the first TSB all they did was replace the actual boost regulator, but then they revised that TSB to include a bigger hose that connects to it and that seems to have fixed the issue. I had the new TSB done when I started having issues with my boost regulator,
Was the replacement hose on the outside or inside line?

I got my replacement parts today. Began installing them, took one bolt off the original vacuum regulator. The inside bolt was a pain in the *** and my lower back started to tighten up...so I disconnected the lines and the plug and reinstalled the screw and left it. Terrible I know...I ended up installing the new regulator with the lines and plug installed and zip tied it to the front. Not a lot of room to pull it forward do to the plug wire being so short.

Pretty mad at myself for leaving the old one in but my back was really getting to me. I figured this was a good alternative to at least test if this will fix my issue. I did not install the new hose yet as I don't know if it's the outside line or inside line. I hope it's the easier of the two.
Old 02-11-20, 10:44 PM
tnilc
Instructor

Ah. No. Re read the service bulletin. It’s the easy one!
Old 02-12-20, 06:47 PM
tnilc
Instructor

GREAT NEWS!

New volume control regulator and hose fixed my problem! I can now accelerate smoothly without feeling like I'm tapping the pedal.

BAD NEWS
P0001 code came up...I reset it, I feel like it comes up every few miles. Car is not my daily driver so I'm garaging it till the weekend when I can poke around. If anyone has any advice please feel free to message me. If someone can point me towards where the fuel volume regulator is, that would be great lol.

The following users liked this post:
snead (02-13-20)
Old 02-13-20, 09:49 PM
Miintt
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by tnilc
GREAT NEWS!

New volume control regulator and hose fixed my problem! I can now accelerate smoothly without feeling like I'm tapping the pedal.

BAD NEWS
P0001 code came up...I reset it, I feel like it comes up every few miles. Car is not my daily driver so I'm garaging it till the weekend when I can poke around. If anyone has any advice please feel free to message me. If someone can point me towards where the fuel volume regulator is, that would be great lol.
How difficult was it changing the hose? I'm on my 4th regulator now but I've never swapped out the hose
Old 02-13-20, 11:00 PM
tnilc
Instructor

Originally Posted by Miintt
How difficult was it changing the hose? I'm on my 4th regulator now but I've never swapped out the hose
Pretty easy.
Old 02-14-20, 05:20 PM
tnilc
Instructor

Originally Posted by tnilc
GREAT NEWS!

BAD NEWS
CEL Gone. Back to normal operating procedures
Old 04-27-20, 03:30 PM
luilly3d
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

[QUOTE=Quillo;10637997]
Originally Posted by E46CT
encouraging.. lol. i'm at about 19k and mine is still fine.. but yours seems to be the upper range where it starts to fail...

how about this.. anyone beyond 30k with the original regulator ??

Close to 80k. 2017 is
I've changed no parts on my car yet.

I do have a slight coolant issue. But it's a design flaw I HOPE. Lol am working on a fixture that is cheap and effective.
Mine started failing this weekend after a roundtrip from Tucson, AZ to Sedona AZ (around 400mi trip), glad i found this post ! I have put 37,800 miles in it. I already scheduled an appointment with my Lexus dealership rep. and shared with them this post for reference, as they told me they dont have any is200t turbo related issues recorded from other customers.
Interesting in my case i took the car this morning for a drive and everything was smooth, so i guess the issue is heat related or it just started to fail and after the engine cools it starts working as normal.

i have an injen intake and ARK Grip Catback since 27k.

Last edited by luilly3d; 04-27-20 at 03:40 PM.
Old 04-27-20, 06:18 PM
tnilc
Instructor

[QUOTE=luilly3d;10790982]
Originally Posted by Quillo

Mine started failing this weekend after a roundtrip from Tucson, AZ to Sedona AZ (around 400mi trip), glad i found this post ! I have put 37,800 miles in it. I already scheduled an appointment with my Lexus dealership rep. and shared with them this post for reference, as they told me they dont have any is200t turbo related issues recorded from other customers.
Interesting in my case i took the car this morning for a drive and everything was smooth, so i guess the issue is heat related or it just started to fail and after the engine cools it starts working as normal.

If you ever have to take it in for this issue, remove your intake. There's also a service bulletin you can show them. Even if they don't have boost leak issues recorded with their customers, they still have to fulfill the orders in a service bulletin.
Old 04-28-20, 10:11 AM
luilly3d
Driver School Candidate

[QUOTE=luilly3d;10790982]
Originally Posted by Quillo

Update:
Took it to the dealership this morning and for my surprise, after sharing this post and the Technical Serv Info Bulletin from Lexus, they ordered the part yesterday and will be changing it today. The serv tech said they need to raise temperature to certain level where they know will start failing, so they have I guess further instructions on how to replicate and diagnose the issue.

For those who are interested or want a copy of the Lexus Technical Info Bulletin, se attached.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Lexus MC-10119435-9999.pdf (224.5 KB, 616 views)
Old 04-28-20, 01:55 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

[QUOTE=luilly3d;10791581]
Originally Posted by luilly3d

Update:
Took it to the dealership this morning and for my surprise, after sharing this post and the Technical Serv Info Bulletin from Lexus, they ordered the part yesterday and will be changing it today. The serv tech said they need to raise temperature to certain level where they know will start failing, so they have I guess further instructions on how to replicate and diagnose the issue.

For those who are interested or want a copy of the Lexus Technical Info Bulletin, se attached.
This is actually the outdated one. The new one also changes the hosing.
Old 04-28-20, 02:01 PM
luilly3d
Driver School Candidate

[QUOTE=Flash5;10791740]
Originally Posted by luilly3d
This is actually the outdated one. The new one also changes the hosing.
Ohh, well that’s even better!

Update:
Got my car back already, no more weird boost sound, back to normal. Thanks everyone who has contributed in this post for the great information that makes it easier for those who, like me, discovered the issue recently.

Be safe everyone!
NBKJuice (11-01-20)
Old 04-28-20, 02:12 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

@luilly3d
Lexus TSB IS 300 .pdf
tnilc (04-28-20)
Old 04-28-20, 08:21 PM
tnilc
Instructor

Originally Posted by Flash5
You were my spirit animal guide when I was trying to figure this crap out lol. No one on the RC side knew anything about this. I find myself posting more over here than there which is still appropriate since I had a 2015 IS250 F Sport lol

Quick Reply: IS200t - Boost issue