Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Exhaust Choices...

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-03, 12:16 AM
YoNadz
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Choices...

What kind of aftermarket exhaust is everyone running?? Including header, pipes, and muffler. I want something with a deep sound that is only really loud at high RPM. Would like to get this with just a muffler if possible. Not something that is going to sound like everyone of those damn Civics that scream buy like a go kart. I want something that sounds more powerful and rich........hope everyone knows what I mean. SUGGESTIONS PLEASE!
Old 05-17-03, 11:12 PM
YoNadz
Pole Position

any suggestions?
Old 05-18-03, 10:45 AM
silverbulletIS3
Driver School Candidate

Most people get axle back exhausts (which alot are available) as opposed to the muffler only.

This car is an inline 6 so it will never sound like a rice rocket. However there are different tones available.

If you want a deep sound with minimal drone in the cabin, then you can go with the L-Tuned (Lexus brand of TRD) which will set you back around $550. Blitz is the next choice which will only run you around $380. HKS Hiper has good gains but I used to have one and the cabin drone was too much for my taste. HKS Dragger is a little better and comes straight out unlike the Hiper's angle.

Other brands you may want to research are Tanabe, Rod Millen, JIC, Greddy, all of which are axle backs.

In terms of headers, this is where it gets technical tricky since we have 3 cat converters and now you are messing with emissions. I'll have to let someone else explain that since I don't wanna mess with headers therefore haven't really researched it enough. IS300.net has all this info in their GO fast forum at the top of the page under FAQs. That site will have almost everything you need to learn about bolt-ons.

Also keep in mind that IS parts are more costly than a Honda. Plus alot of people on .NET seem to look down on going the cheap way of doing things with the IS but whatever....
Old 05-18-03, 10:53 AM
silverbulletIS3
Driver School Candidate

One more thing, beware of intakes. Our cars will lose torque with cheap ebay intakes or any open intake without an air-fuel controller. SRT has an intake with a piggyback ECU for around 5-6 hundy depending where you get it. Otherwise PLP has a good low maintenance one for $220ish. But most intakes will work fine if you have an AFC. Oh, and our cars don't have chips availabe - ECU too complex.