Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

ECUMasters DET3 Piggyback

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-17, 12:40 PM
super51fan
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ECUMasters DET3 Piggyback

I was looking around the forum for information on using a ECUMasters piggyback on their NA-T build and I couldn't find any information so I thought I would ask.

Has anyone used the ECUMasters DET3 on their GS300 NA-T build? I have heard horror stories about tuning with a piggyback because of the stock ECU. My tuner wants to give the DET3 a chance and use it because you will get a lot of features for the same price has a APEXI SAFC NEO.

I start my build soon and any input would be appreciated!
Old 01-25-17, 08:13 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by super51fan
I was looking around the forum for information on using a ECUMasters piggyback on their NA-T build and I couldn't find any information so I thought I would ask.

Has anyone used the ECUMasters DET3 on their GS300 NA-T build? I have heard horror stories about tuning with a piggyback because of the stock ECU. My tuner wants to give the DET3 a chance and use it because you will get a lot of features for the same price has a APEXI SAFC NEO.

I start my build soon and any input would be appreciated!
I have not seen anyone using one on a GS before. But the issues are not with the GS vvti ecu, it is with the tuner that is not familiar with them. Most popular piggybacks work just fine on the vvti ecu like the FIC, Mapecu2/3, E-Manage..

If I can give you 1 piece of advice on your turbo build, it is DO NOT SKIMP ON THE TUNING OR THE TUNER.

Find the local tuner you trust, that hopefully has done GS/IS vvti cars before, and buy the system that he GUARANTEES you will do everything you want it to. Don't buy what the people on a forum tell you, then take it to your tuner that isn't familiar with it. If a tuner can't make you a guarantee, find a different tuner. (even if he is great on other cars/engines/systems, this is not about his competence or offending him, it is the fact that the system and the tune is EVERYTHING to your build actually running and driving like it should, so use someone that has successfully done them before)..

Good Luck, and please don't let me deter you from using you current tuner or ECUMasters. Just saying I've seen many cars built, and just sitting because of system/tuner related drama.
Old 01-26-17, 07:46 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

I'd like to chime in on this for what its worth. Back when I was running my single turbo on my GS430, I was running an AEM FIC 8. I had larger 550cc injectors and different size maf housing and larger walbro fuel pump. I used to drive home every day from work with my laptop and my scan tool tuning that thing. I got to the point where I didn't have any engine lights and my fuel trims were almost dead on. However, one of the biggest deal breakers was that when the engine was hot it had an extended crank. to me that was it. I spent the last month or more tuning that thing just for it to sound like a crap car in a parking lot cranking for up to five seconds. tech support couldn't help and I just got tired of it. took it all out and now im running a supercharger on stock computer. runs great. also, when I took the car to houston to have it dyno tuned by someone who claimed they were familiar with the FIC, on the dyno it was tuned up great and made great power. but as soon as we put it on the ground and went for a drive, it ran like crap. load conditions were completely different. I literally pulled over on the way home and uploaded my own tune back in I had into the fic I just spent 400 having tuned. Long story short. I forgot what my point was.
The following 2 users liked this post by badblackgs:
4rcedfed (03-29-19), djr48312 (12-13-23)
Old 06-20-18, 05:15 PM
Smithyj08
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long shot but need help!!

I've got a Det3 wired into my is200, which ignition settings do I need? Is it bipolar or regular?
Old 12-13-23, 03:43 PM
djr48312
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Do you have any updates on the Det3? In another forum i was told that timing retard is 6 degrees per unit, but the advance is 1 degree per unit. They seem to be very happy with the device.