Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

***Firment Problems with Borla Exhaust***

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-03, 09:54 AM
recco1
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ***Firment Problems with Borla Exhaust***

Has anybody had any problems installing the Borla exhaust in their GS4? Any unexpected problems? I'm assuming it was designed to work with the stock mounting points. Comments greatly appreciated.
Old 05-25-03, 08:34 PM
PAULGS430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb

Hello dude. Yeah nudderGS400 has just put on the borla & has fitment problems. They are not centered. He has also removed his resonators too.

Paul
Old 05-25-03, 10:29 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,239 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Recco

Welcome to ClubLexus!

I've had the Borla on my GS for a couple of years with no problems. I didn't install them myself, but I watched they install. Went right on pretty quickly and are fairly well centered.

Dex (another member here) had some centering issues and ended up taking his to another shop for some work before they were centered (he's since put on an Apexi WS set of cans). I'll look for him to chip in here.
Old 05-26-03, 09:03 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

i rercently got the borla xhaust put in by a local shop, i watched them ans they did have a problem cus u had 2 replace the stock clamps with borlas and they did some welding job 2 get it in right. so it wasn't a perfect fit here. but any local shop should b able 2 figure it out, 4 like 50.00 bucks
Old 05-27-03, 10:07 AM
tomtnc
Pole Position

My tips were not centered. Of course, I had purchased this system used and I know the fella who I bought it from had some problems / modifications to fit on his GS4.

To fix the uncentered tips, you should have the muffler shop heat the bend in the pipe behind the muffler. While hot, place a long crowbar in one of the exhaust tips and pry in whichever direction will get the tips centered. Repeat this process if necessary.
Old 05-27-03, 04:34 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep. I got excited when they arrived, and I figured since they were just the rear sections, that they should be a diret bolt-on, with no questions asked. So I went to a local muffler shop. Mistake.

Take your time, and find a good shop to do the install. [i]Should the need arise[i] to adjust the fitment, its best to have someone competent with aftermarket exhausts doing the tweaking.

Some of those who had the Borlas first off had no problems (Dave GS4); there was a group buy, and some in that bunch had fitment issues (Me + others). I dunno.
Old 05-27-03, 09:09 PM
nudderGS400
Pole Position

Default Adjusted fit?

As Paul stated, I had mine put on by a local shop, but good guys who have done a lot of work for me in the past. They called me out to look at them and showed me that they had been tweaked before.

I can tell they were 'adjusted' right after the muffler, similar to what TomTNC said; however, one sticks out a good inch farther than the other and one is rotated slightly counterclockwise about 5 or 10 degrees.

Bought from a CL member, good reputation, not blaming him. They are used.

My dilemma is, what to do;

1. have them tweak the mufflers (could never sell them again)
2. have them tweak the custom center pipes they put on to remove the resonators (can't put my stock back on later without issues.)
3. Take em off and sell them with buyer knowing about my problem...... anyone want to buy em?

With the 2.5 inch center pipes it sounded pretty good, with the borlas on it sounds like a 5 liter mustang or a vette (according to PaulGS430). I was hoping to get the power gain by adding the SRT intake next, but it is a little loud for me to drive clients around in now and I think it will be luder with the intake.

I think I'll try the intake and sell the borlas. With the 2.5 inch center pipe I should have pened up the output breathing some!?
Old 05-28-03, 09:59 AM
tomtnc
Pole Position

Get a good muffler shop to tweak what they gotta tweak. Most of it is going to be heating up the pipe(s) and bending or twisting to fit. It's not that big of a deal - took my guy all of 5 minutes. The sound of the Borlas (and the look) rocks

I would bet the SRT intake w/stock mufflers would be louder than the stock intake with Borla exhaust. I can't imagine any clientele (unless you sell retirement home packages) that would be offended by the sound of the stock intake and Borla mufflers. I did Borlas before the SRT intake and thought the car was still fairly quiet. Adding the SRT to the Borla (my combo) took the sound to a whole different level; a.k.a. american V8 sports car with 'something done to it'.
Old 05-28-03, 10:01 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by tomtnc
a.k.a. american V8 sports car with 'something done to it'.
Something to get the domestic boys to think twice
Old 05-29-03, 02:24 PM
fever
Lead Lap

Thumbs up

Yes oh yes. In fact, I just laid waste to two Mustang GT's that had the Cobra sound to them but clearly no real work done. They were quite shocked as I put several lengths on them from 40-100. heheheheheheh.