Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

IS200t Downpipe

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-19, 11:01 PM
canibeat
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

How are you liking the OBX downpipe? I just pulled the trigger on the Circuit Syndicate Donwpipe pictured in your screenshot.

Originally Posted by Quillo

Got the obx dp. Contacted the sellers. Got all the specs, compared them to all the ones on the threads and all the ones i can find online period. Was happy with overall obx specs and bought them after the rotors. Lol i need to buy an cel eliminator for sure, but im very excited for the purchase and ofcourse the savings.
Old 06-05-19, 03:21 PM
Quillo
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by canibeat
How are you liking the OBX downpipe? I just pulled the trigger on the Circuit Syndicate Donwpipe pictured in your screenshot.
Just saw this. Sorry, i loved every performance aspect of my dp. No tune. Just a cel eliminator. I did have my cel come on but i used the smallest spacer. Ppe suggested to go bigger. I drove around for a week and the light came on and off. Ultimately I took it off. I could not fall in love with the new sound the engine/turbo made. Performance was there but lost the subtle sexy growl. Its not a v8. But nonetheless dp gives you a raspy tone. To each there own. And no and exhaust will not remove the raspy tone. The dual catalytic and the iron oem dp make the car sound like a lexus.
Old 06-06-19, 12:25 PM
Miintt
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Just saw this. Sorry, i loved every performance aspect of my dp. No tune. Just a cel eliminator. I did have my cel come on but i used the smallest spacer. Ppe suggested to go bigger. I drove around for a week and the light came on and off. Ultimately I took it off. I could not fall in love with the new sound the engine/turbo made. Performance was there but lost the subtle sexy growl. Its not a v8. But nonetheless dp gives you a raspy tone. To each there own. And no and exhaust will not remove the raspy tone. The dual catalytic and the iron oem dp make the car sound like a lexus.
I also hate the way the car sounds with the downpipe but I can’t go back now after being used to the power. Especially with the OV tune now too. Did your car also have a horrible rasp/exhaust leak sound when hitting the gas from a stop? Thats what I hate about it the most, it sounds like I have an exhaust leak but I’ve had it checked out at a shop and they tell me everything is normal
Old 06-22-19, 02:00 AM
levchik77
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi. Whats the difference in power on catless downpipe and decatless? What's better?
Old 06-22-19, 08:22 AM
tnilc
Instructor

Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Miintt
I also hate the way the car sounds with the downpipe but I can’t go back now after being used to the power. Especially with the OV tune now too. Did your car also have a horrible rasp/exhaust leak sound when hitting the gas from a stop? Thats what I hate about it the most, it sounds like I have an exhaust leak but I’ve had it checked out at a shop and they tell me everything is normal
I’ve had an Evo with a Donwpipe since 2006. Downpipes on any car more or less have that raspy tone on start up. Once cars warmed up it goes away. Now that I have a midpipe you only hear the raspiness when I step on it which is what I like.
Old 06-23-19, 06:02 PM
Miintt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tnilc
I’ve had an Evo with a Donwpipe since 2006. Downpipes on any car more or less have that raspy tone on start up. Once cars warmed up it goes away. Now that I have a midpipe you only hear the raspiness when I step on it which is what I like.
I expected raspiness when I stepped on it but the thing I noticed with my car is that it has that sound during cold start bu lt also in low rpm before boost starts building. Once im actually going fast it seems like that sound goes away.

I should probably take a video and upload it here to see if anyone else experiences the same noise
Old 06-26-19, 11:41 PM
tnilc
Instructor

Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

If it matters to anyone, I've had my PPE catless downpipe for about a year now with my O2 adapters and haven't had any issues with my CEL. I went through a few different O2 adapters and settled on a combo of a right angle adapter with an extender.
The following users liked this post:
Meraki Autoworks (06-27-19)
Old 07-15-19, 01:28 PM
NEEDB00ST
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Do you have a stock exhaust or aftermarket?

Can anyone tell me if downpipe with a stock exhaust is raspy?
Old 07-15-19, 02:13 PM
Quillo
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Miintt
I expected raspiness when I stepped on it but the thing I noticed with my car is that it has that sound during cold start bu lt also in low rpm before boost starts building. Once im actually going fast it seems like that sound goes away.

I should probably take a video and upload it here to see if anyone else experiences the same noise

Sorry for late response.
The raspiness will always be there lol.
I took my dp off after a week. Cold start ups, turning on the ac. Even after driving all day the rasp never went away.
I have stock exhaust and the rasp was only by the turbo, driver fender. The actual exhaust sounded a tiny bit more aggressive. No smells of fuel unlike other that mentioned that they had that happen to them.
In all i had no tune and notice a night and day performance increase. I just couldnt fall for that rasp. And we have no manifolds an evo does so its a different situation all together from what the other user mentioned about his rasp experience.
Old 07-15-19, 02:17 PM
Quillo
10th Gear

Originally Posted by NEEDB00ST
Do you have a stock exhaust or aftermarket?

Can anyone tell me if downpipe with a stock exhaust is raspy?

Yes the raspiness is emitting from the turbo so you only hear it outside the car by the driver fender. I have stock exhaust and noticed a tiny little growl at the rear bumper on idle
Any dp you buy thats aftermarket fro. Whom ever will give you rasp.
I spoke to all the bigg hitters that caters to lexus and all say the same thing. Its not a v8. Its hard to make a 4banger sound sexy.
Ppe headers gives rasp.
Tti gives rasp.
All the above gives rasp.
Stock dp has 2 cats and its cast iron. Super thick walls.
After market is really thin stainless with no cats. So theres a gain in performance but a loss in that lexus sound.
Old 07-15-19, 02:24 PM
NEEDB00ST
Driver School Candidate

Shame...

What about the catted-downpipe options ? Do those cause rasp as well?
Old 07-15-19, 02:29 PM
Quillo
10th Gear

Shame...

What about the catted-downpipe options ? Do those cause rasp as well?

When I asked ppe they said itll be less rasp then catless. But you can expect more rasp then stock. Remember stock has 2 cats. And ppe is putting in one highflow cat.

Imagine it, all that air squeezing through1 cat and then fumbling against the other and then being pushed out.. plus thicker walls for the oem dp. Equals lexus grrrrrr lol

Aftermarket, well i guess we know the results lol
Old 07-15-19, 03:58 PM
NEEDB00ST
Driver School Candidate

When I asked ppe they said itll be less rasp then catless. But you can expect more rasp then stock. Remember stock has 2 cats. And ppe is putting in one highflow cat.

Imagine it, all that air squeezing through1 cat and then fumbling against the other and then being pushed out.. plus thicker walls for the oem dp. Equals lexus grrrrrr lol

Aftermarket, well i guess we know the results lol

Makes sense. Thanks for the insight - I was getting ready to pull the trigger on a dp thinking it would be fine with stock exhaust. The last thing I want is for my 48k Lexus to sound like a ricer... Guess I'll have to try the catted dp and hope for the best
Old 07-15-19, 04:19 PM
Quillo
10th Gear

Makes sense. Thanks for the insight - I was getting ready to pull the trigger on a dp thinking it would be fine with stock exhaust. The last thing I want is for my 48k Lexus to sound like a ricer... Guess I'll have to try the catted dp and hope for the best
Yeah i took the aftermarket one off. Rather get an exhaust system, straight pipe, and just leave the rest as is. As far as motor work, replacing the turbo piping and bov and removing the turbo muffler will make enough sexy sounds to keep you amd any is200t owner happy. Turbosmart has a really good bov that bolts up and plugs right in. No cheap spacer for the sound we want. Lol
Old 07-15-19, 06:07 PM
Miintt
Pole Position

Sorry for late response.
The raspiness will always be there lol.
I took my dp off after a week. Cold start ups, turning on the ac. Even after driving all day the rasp never went away.
I have stock exhaust and the rasp was only by the turbo, driver fender. The actual exhaust sounded a tiny bit more aggressive. No smells of fuel unlike other that mentioned that they had that happen to them.
In all i had no tune and notice a night and day performance increase. I just couldnt fall for that rasp. And we have no manifolds an evo does so its a different situation all together from what the other user mentioned about his rasp experience.
Makes sense now, thanks for the response. I thought I was the only one that had the rasp coming from the driver side fender/turbo area since I haven't seen anyone else mention it on here. I hate the noise too but I’ve been putting up with it because the car is just too slow and any little bit helps

Quick Reply: IS200t Downpipe