Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

IS200t Downpipe

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-19, 01:05 PM
Bastrd6
Pit Crew

Received 88 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboISnTX
Circuit Syndicate Catless Downpipe

No check engine light, just use an 90 degree O2 spacer on the downstream O2 sensor. I have straight piped other cars and never had an issue with that method.
I've had to use a defouler or spacer on other cars. I'll have to look into that downpipe.

Thanks
Old 09-03-19, 02:55 PM
m1919
Intermediate

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboISnTX
The bracket above the assembly to the charge pipe will need to be removed, then remove the section in front of the charge pipe (just loosen the clamp) and then their are 2 nuts on the metal 90 degree angle part (Not sure what the part is called, but the tube is connected) that will have to be removed.

all of this is actually the easy part, getting to all the heat shield bolts is kind of a pain, then just slide out the upper heat shield. (you still need to remove the lower heat shield which is only 3 bolts I believe.
Nice, this helps a lot. Do you know what the external dimensions of the turbo are? Looking for a suitable turbo blanket, not sure if a generic T3-sized turbo blanket or something sized for maybe an IS38 would work. Figured I might install one when I do a turbo muffler delete, hopefully cut down on some of the heat build up under the hood.

Last edited by m1919; 09-03-19 at 05:58 PM.
Old 02-14-20, 10:28 AM
tnilc
Instructor

Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by SWXF
I can't answer all of your questions but I can answer a few.

IMO a downpipe is worth it with a tune. I'm running a TTi catted downpipe and i can definitely feel the difference over the stock one.

Regarding the CEL, after installing the TTi downpipe and driving around for awhile, it threw a p0420 code (not sure why it did). Installing a 90 degree spacer with a smaller opening got rid of the P0420 code but triggered a P0137 code. I tried drilling a 1/2" hole on the spacer but it did not help. After clearing the code and driving just less than 50 miles, CEL with the same code appeared again. I'm going to test out other spacers next and hopefully the CEL will be gone for good.
I'm now getting the P0137 code. Had P0421 code but added an adapter and had no CEL related to my catless downpipe for over a year. My cheapo Harbor Freight OBDII reader said it was P0001, but the shop said P0137. Tech said the way the wires are positioned with the O2 adapter is probably what caused it and advised to replace the O2 sensor.

Last edited by tnilc; 02-14-20 at 10:33 AM.
Old 02-15-20, 02:08 PM
Axelis
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Miintt
I also hate the way the car sounds with the downpipe but I can’t go back now after being used to the power. Especially with the OV tune now too. Did your car also have a horrible rasp/exhaust leak sound when hitting the gas from a stop? Thats what I hate about it the most, it sounds like I have an exhaust leak but I’ve had it checked out at a shop and they tell me everything is normal
how are you liking the ov tune?
Old 02-15-20, 06:51 PM
Miintt
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Axelis
how are you liking the ov tune?
I’m currently back to stock because I was having an issue with my car and wanted to rule out the tune as being the cause. It honestly sucks driving the car stock after experiencing the tune.

The tune doesn’t give insane power or anything but the turbo spools much quicker and the artificial throttle delay is removed. Worth the cost in my opinion.
Old 02-15-20, 06:55 PM
Axelis
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for replying, question, where the issues caused by the tune? what kind of issues were you having if you don't mind sharing, I'll really appreciate your feedback.
Old 02-15-20, 06:59 PM
tnilc
Instructor

I’m currently back to stock because I was having an issue with my car and wanted to rule out the tune as being the cause. It honestly sucks driving the car stock after experiencing the tune.

The tune doesn’t give insane power or anything but the turbo spools much quicker and the artificial throttle delay is removed. Worth the cost in my opinion.
What issue are you having?

I went back to stock too because my vacuum regulator crapped out, then I threw a P0001 code which was actually a P0137 for my O2 sensor. Turned out my O2 sensor rattled loose lol.

I plan to flash back to my OVTune tomorrow.
Old 02-15-20, 07:04 PM
Miintt
Pole Position

Thanks for replying, question, where the issues caused by the tune? what kind of issues were you having if you don't mind sharing, I'll really appreciate your feedback.
The issue I was having was the car would start backfiring like it was bouncing off the rev limiter at around 5k rpm when I floored it. It would backfire and hesitate but eventually would go. Overall power was down too.

It ended up being my spark plugs that was causing it because it hasn’t happened since I replaced them.

I don’t think the tune caused the wear on the plugs but I think it accelerated it. I flashed the car around 33k miles and started having the issue around 37k miles. Lexus recommends replacing spark plugs at 40k so mine were a little premature.
Old 02-15-20, 07:11 PM
tnilc
Instructor

The issue I was having was the car would start backfiring like it was bouncing off the rev limiter at around 5k rpm when I floored it. It would backfire and hesitate but eventually would go. Overall power was down too.

It ended up being my spark plugs that was causing it because it hasn’t happened since I replaced them.

I don’t think the tune caused the wear on the plugs but I think it accelerated it. I flashed the car around 33k miles and started having the issue around 37k miles. Lexus recommends replacing spark plugs at 40k so mine were a little premature.
My OVTune was running perfect. When I got my axle backs on, it made my vacuum regulator issue more apparent but I had the issue well before the tune, thought it was bottle necking from my axle backs since I had downpipe and midpipes.

Then when my CEL started, went back to stock to see if that was the issue, turns out it wasn't at all. I'll be glad to go back to my tune. Mathew said things look good, just needed some tweaks and asked what octane gas I was using.
Old 02-15-20, 07:12 PM
Miintt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tnilc
What issue are you having?

I went back to stock too because my vacuum regulator crapped out, then I threw a P0001 code which was actually a P0137 for my O2 sensor. Turned out my O2 sensor rattled loose lol.

I plan to flash back to my OVTune tomorrow.
I explained the issue in my other reply but essentially it was my spark plugs. My car did throw code P0171 for system running lean initially but it didnt come back after clearing it. I don’t have experience with the code you’re getting though, sorry man.
Old 02-15-20, 07:21 PM
Axelis
Driver School Candidate

so the tune gets rid of the throttle delay and makes the car a little more enjoyable to drive? anything you didn't like about the tune? I'm on the fence about ordering but looking to get rid of the annoying throttle on this car.
Old 02-15-20, 07:33 PM
Miintt
Pole Position

so the tune gets rid of the throttle delay and makes the car a little more enjoyable to drive? anything you didn't like about the tune? I'm on the fence about ordering but looking to get rid of the annoying throttle on this car.
Yup, that’s exactly it. It makes it safer too because it doesnt take forever to get moving if you’re trying to pass or make a quick turn.

I like the standard flash they offer but I didn’t like the custom tuning I tried out. I think the custom tune they sent me was too aggressive and put my car into limp mode. It was sort of a disaster to be honest and I thought my car was dead for sure because it wouldnt turn on afterwards. It ended up being fine after sitting for a while though so I went back to the standard flash.
Old 02-15-20, 07:48 PM
Axelis
Driver School Candidate

How many tunes do you get? Does it come
w a transmission tune?
Old 02-15-20, 08:02 PM
Miintt
Pole Position

How many tunes do you get? Does it come
w a transmission tune?
I bought the tune when it first came out so they sent me the first file they released (1.01) and the stock ecu file. When 1.02 was released they also sent that to me.

I also opted to do the custom tuning because of my downpipe so they sent me 2 custom flashes after doing some datalogging.

After the bad experience I had with the custom tune I decided to just stick with the standard flashes because its more conservative and safer.
Old 02-15-20, 08:26 PM
Axelis
Driver School Candidate

Thanks a lot for sharing all this, I really appreciate it.

Quick Reply: IS200t Downpipe