Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Meanist sounding exhaust? GS430?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-03, 09:14 AM
Kerr
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Meanist sounding exhaust? GS430?

Just wondering which compnay has the meanist sounding exhaust for a GS400/30

Also does any one have any sound clips.

thanks
Shawn
Old 06-24-03, 09:18 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,259 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Shawn,

Try doing a search in this forum and you'll find several clips or offers to get them. Click here for an example thread I found looking for the word 'clip'..

One of the easiest things you can do is come to one of our meets in NC and listen to a few. There's one at the end of August and you can check out Borla, L-tuned, Apexi and likely other varieties.

Here's a link to the thread about the meet.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 06-24-03 at 09:21 AM.
Old 06-24-03, 09:24 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Exhaust sounds are pretty subjective, but my meanist I'm guessing you mean loudest and deepest?

I've never heard the GReddy PE or Evolution, but I think they ar the loudest, most aggressive. The Borla, LTuned, and Apexi WS are all about equal, and I'm guessing, from the most familar exhausts installed on GSs here at CL, then are next.

There are a few others like Tannabe (sp.?), Sebring, etc. that I am unsure about, and haven't heard them myself.

I think redgs4 has the Tannabe.
Old 06-24-03, 09:59 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out the HKS exhaust. Mean exhaust
Old 06-24-03, 11:45 AM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

"Meanest" is rather subjective. Go to your local muffler shop and pick up a set of flowmasters, that's pretty mean. Per Dex, I have the Tanabe Hyper Medallion with the resonators removed and I think they sound pretty darn cool. You really need to hear as many as you can side by side as there are many qualities that define the sound at various points: Start Up, Idle, Low, Mid and High RPM, and falling RPM.
Old 06-24-03, 03:12 PM
Mariusz
Lead Lap

I think I have the meanest sounding exhaust system of any GS. It has HKS Titanium mufflers with SRT custom fabricated SS piping and high flow cats. It is a "FULL" catback exhaust system meaning that the 2.5" piping runs all the way back and replaces the restrictive stock piping.
Old 06-24-03, 03:31 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,259 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Originally posted by Mariusz
I think I have the meanest sounding exhaust system of any GS. It has HKS Titanium mufflers with SRT custom fabricated SS piping and high flow cats. It is a "FULL" catback exhaust system meaning that the 2.5" piping runs all the way back and replaces the restrictive stock piping.
Yeah, and the twin turbos / BOV don't hurt the sound any either
Old 06-24-03, 04:07 PM
lexlyf
Lead Lap

I have had the opportunity to experience a lot of different exhaust systems on the n/a GS. If you are looking into "off the rack" items, then I'd say that the Tanabe is pretty extreme on a n/a GS. I heard that on Chris Rado's (Turbo Celica Import racer) GS400. A close 2nd would be a tie between Greddy/HKS.

Ultimately, if $$ permits, a custom exhaust would be the way to go. What Mariusz has on his GS can actually be duplicated for an n/a set up. Just as Mariusz pointed out, it's a true dual 2.5" w/ high flow cats, SRT resonators and SRT canisters.

I feel very confident that +RWHP would be around +20hp.

PM for pricing.

Thanks.
Old 06-24-03, 09:46 PM
Guru
Lead Lap

I ordered my Fujitsubo Legalis R exhaust not to long ago. As soon as it gets in I'll take some MPEG'S of it on the dyno.
Old 06-24-03, 11:54 PM
RAristo
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Guru
I ordered my Fujitsubo Legalis R exhaust not to long ago. As soon as it gets in I'll take some MPEG'S of it on the dyno.
nice. I would like to know how it stands up to Tanabe HM. Both are fully polished, and share 60ö mid pipes/100ö tips.
Old 06-25-03, 01:54 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

I recently just gotten the HKS Hiper exhaust. Like GS300RICH said, this exhaust sounds pretty aggressive on WOT. Trying listen to this sound clip at www.rodmillenstore.com .

I've heard the greddy evo, and IMO the HKS sounds a little "meaner" . Never heard the tanabe , but from what I read, it has a very throaty sound to it.
Old 06-25-03, 11:00 PM
APLUS
Lead Lap

What do you guys think my set up will sound like. I am going with the Blitz Nur Spec Dual Exhaust with the Lecs down pipe and SRT air intake with XERD stainless steel headers and XERD stainless steel race pipe on a GS300. I was told that the Blitz Nur Spec would give me a more "aggressive " sound than the Greddy PE at wide open throttle from the guys at intense motorsports.
Old 06-28-03, 10:06 AM
v300
Lead Lap

You want the meaniset sound? Let the factory mufflers hang and remove the midepide. *Rumble-Rumble*
Old 06-28-03, 02:23 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by GS300Rich
Check out the HKS exhaust. Mean exhaust
Rich, btw, do you know how much HP you gained from the HKS? I remember someone told me 9HP. Thats alot considering its only mufflers, not cat-back.
Old 06-28-03, 07:14 PM
Guru
Lead Lap

Originally posted by RAristo
nice. I would like to know how it stands up to Tanabe HM. Both are fully polished, and share 60ö mid pipes/100ö tips.
Yes but the Tanabe is not really a cat back. The Legalis R is and has a front pipe for the SUpra TT motor, but I'm going to modify it to finish my exhaust all the way from the manifolds back. I'll dyno test when I'm done.

Quick Reply: Meanist sounding exhaust? GS430?