Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Throttle position sensor

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-18, 09:56 AM
EMCM
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle position sensor

The two sensors on throttle body wont work together. Car is idling high. Got to press foot all the way to ground. How do i replace position sensor.
Old 04-18-18, 06:48 PM
VIP161
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What kind of car do you have? If you have the GS300, its got an Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor that communicates with the Throttle Position Sensor and the electronic throttle control system. If one goes back, your car goes into limp mode which is why you're having to floor it to get the car to move. I'm not sure about the high idle. If you're experiencing these issues, you definitely have CEL codes. Start there first. Pull the codes and start researching the possible causes.

The ETCS system was an issue in the past and a recall campaign was out for the replacement of the entire throttle body. Its no longer an open campaign so people are replacing these with used units to same money. If your ECTS motor is bad, I do have a complete throttle body with all sensors that I can sell to you if you want it. I'm also in California. If you're close to me, I'll even bring it to you. Just let this be the last resort.
Old 04-21-18, 12:12 PM
EMCM
Driver School Candidate

Default Throttle body sensor

i live in fresno ca. Will it fit a 98 lexus gs300. How much. Can yous put it on for me. I no im asking alot. I need help. I bought the front and back sensor. Im using up too much money.
Old 04-23-18, 08:19 PM
VIP161
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by EMCM
i live in fresno ca. Will it fit a 98 lexus gs300. How much. Can yous put it on for me. I no im asking alot. I need help. I bought the front and back sensor. Im using up too much money.
I'm in Hollister. The unit came out of my 98 GS300. Let me know if you'd like to meet up. I might be able to put it on if we plan it ahead of time.
Old 04-24-18, 06:52 AM
EMCM
Driver School Candidate

Default Throttle body sensor

yes we can do that. 5594588277. Liz. Let me no when your available
Old 04-26-18, 06:18 PM
VIP161
Lead Lap

yes we can do that. 5594588277. Liz. Let me no when your available
Check you PM. I sent you a message.
Old 04-28-18, 12:42 PM
EMCM
Driver School Candidate

Default Throttle problems

Ok....I been having problems with Ronald my 98 lexus gs300. All these mechanics giving me the run around while taking my hard earned money. So I took the throttle body off because i changed the sensors and I was still having to floor my pedal just to go 10 miles an hour. What i found was that inside the body where the back sensor goes, the big round one where your peddle cable is connected to, the dogg inside was broken. So when i pressed the gas the metal part couldnt hit nothing until the very end. So i attached a piece of metal, to the metal part on sensor, because the dogg is made of plastic, and now it works fine. I still have to buy the throttle body only but now i no what happened with Ronald. So i hope this piece of info helps others who might have the same problem.
Old 04-29-18, 01:45 PM
VIP161
Lead Lap

Ok....I been having problems with Ronald my 98 lexus gs300. All these mechanics giving me the run around while taking my hard earned money. So I took the throttle body off because i changed the sensors and I was still having to floor my pedal just to go 10 miles an hour. What i found was that inside the body where the back sensor goes, the big round one where your peddle cable is connected to, the dogg inside was broken. So when i pressed the gas the metal part couldnt hit nothing until the very end. So i attached a piece of metal, to the metal part on sensor, because the dogg is made of plastic, and now it works fine. I still have to buy the throttle body only but now i no what happened with Ronald. So i hope this piece of info helps others who might have the same problem.
Just out of curiosity, have you tested the accelerator pedal position sensor for resistance?
Old 04-30-18, 08:34 PM
lexo98
Pole Position

Received 276 Likes on 238 Posts

The sensor in the front is spring loaded. If you just put it in and put the screws on it is not on correctly. It needs to be twisted when it’s being installed so there is tension on it. Sorry hard to explain but sounds like the same problem I had when I cleaned my throttlebody
Old 05-05-18, 10:17 AM
VIP161
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lexo98
The sensor in the front is spring loaded. If you just put it in and put the screws on it is not on correctly. It needs to be twisted when it’s being installed so there is tension on it. Sorry hard to explain but sounds like the same problem I had when I cleaned my throttlebody
When installing this sensor, you need to hand thread the four tiny screws to the throttle body and back them out about half way to allow you to spring it back as much as you need to, hold, then tighten the four screws.
Old 06-21-21, 11:18 AM
EnoEs300
Driver School Candidate

Default Code P1128

My es300 is in limp mode and wont accelerate irrespective of how hard I hit the gas pedal. I pulled P1128 code (throttle motor lock malfunction). I have tried cleaning the carbon build up in the TB yet no luck. I'm yet to find a new TB for replacement. Any advice on what else to do please?

Last edited by EnoEs300; 06-21-21 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Typos
Old 06-21-21, 12:49 PM
KyleH
Advanced

Received 136 Likes on 105 Posts

I would start with a search in the ES submodel forum group and include the model year of your car. Toyota had a number of iterations of their electronic throttle control, and most of the folks here are familiar with the 2nd generation GS cars. Sounds like your ES doesn't have any mechanical component to it, which is why you're not getting any response with a full pedal.
Old 06-24-21, 10:12 PM
EnoEs300
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by KyleH
I would start with a search in the ES submodel forum group and include the model year of your car. Toyota had a number of iterations of their electronic throttle control, and most of the folks here are familiar with the 2nd generation GS cars. Sounds like your ES doesn't have any mechanical component to it, which is why you're not getting any response with a full pedal.

Thanks for your response. I eventually got a new throttle body. Unfortunately, that didn't solve the problem. It turned out that the ECU was also messed up so changing just the throttle body didn't resolve the issue. The ECU had to be fixed too. Cost a lot but I finally got my car back. Thanks again.

Last edited by EnoEs300; 06-24-21 at 10:35 PM.
Old 07-01-21, 09:51 AM
alibba2
Driver School Candidate

Default Code P1127

Hello All: I am in the same position as many of you when your Lexus gs300 goes limp and only gains a few RPM's as I push the gas pedal all the way to the floor. The car moves at about 5 mph and that's it. I have read a few post and most of you state that it is the APS. I am not sure if this helps diagnose my problem but the clip which holds the sensor in place broke off meaning that when I plug it in it is not fully engaged so a little vibration may not make contact however that should not be a big deal I hope. If so I could cut the wires and attach a new plug I just don't know what these plugs are called.
Any assistance would be appreciated and Thanks in advance
Old 07-01-21, 10:00 AM
alibba2
Driver School Candidate

I think I have the same problem. I changed the APPS and just screwed it on and nothing happened. Can you explain a bit as you put the sensor on with the four screws? Do I turn the spring loaded *** when the cable is attached until it catches the inside of the throttle body lid somewhat in a semi-open position?

Quick Reply: Throttle position sensor