Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

New GS4 owner with a TC question

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-03, 07:07 AM
Belshe1993
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default New GS4 owner with a TC question

First off I have been surfing the boards for awhile now and this is my first post. Seems like everyone over here is pretty cool.

Just got my 98 GS4 and LOVE it. I use to be a modular engine guy. I gave up my Cobra for a "family car" like the GS4. So far I have ordered the SRT intake and was getting ready to change out the Dif when I started reading about better results with the TC?? In the mustangs the first thing to go was always the gears so I figured that would go the same here... I guessed wrong it seems.

Everyone on this board seems to say that the TC gives you more bang for the buck. I am use to do all my own work but am not as familiar with the setup of these cars yet. I have dropped trannys befors and replaced multiple clutches but never a TC.

So my question is for you guys is how hard is this guy to put in there? I have almost any and every tool to my disposal (that I know of) Would it be better to take it somewhere to have it done? Or should I give it a shot myself?

Thanks in advance!!

Red Rover
Old 07-18-03, 10:30 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

welcome red to the arena.

T/C is best bang for the buck although i dont have one yet (waiting for RMM supercharger and will do both at same time)

as far as install i would say a really good transm shop or try to talk your stealer (dealer) svc dept to do it , they know the trans well.

when you get the srt intake in , please let me know what you think , for i am really considering one as well until i get the s/c set up
Old 07-20-03, 07:27 PM
LexCiting
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of my first mods was getting the SRT intake, and TC installed *(check my sig). Both ARE worth it. The TC will give you tire burning takeoffs when you want, and the Intake will get you up to speed faster. I would get the TC installed at the dealer, or at a qualified shop. Give SRT a call, and talk to them about what you want out of your car, and they will help you select your STALL SPEED of Torque Convertor.

Also, if you are seriously modding your car, think about getting the TRD Limited Slip Differential (LSD) next, it is the best for your setup, IMHO. The Supra/RMM LSD(both are the same) cost more, and you will bang your rev limiter more than with the TRD LSD simply because the Lexus engine ECU isn't programmed for the higher gearing.

Hope this helps.

Sorry about the confusion with the TC, and LSD.

Last edited by LexCiting; 07-23-03 at 06:49 AM.
Old 07-20-03, 09:22 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by LexCiting
Also get the TRD Torque Convertor, it is the best for your setup, IMHO. The Supra/RMM TC (both are the same) cost more, and you will bang your rev limiter more than with the TRD TC simply because the Lexus engine ECU isn't programmed for the higher gearing.
Typo... I'm sure you were referring to the TRD, Supra and RMM LSD. Another option is the ATS LSD which retains the stock gearing and is a clutch type similar to the TRD.

Last edited by redgs4; 07-20-03 at 10:20 PM.
Old 07-21-03, 09:07 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

TC and LSD are COMPLETELY different, LexCiting.
Old 07-21-03, 11:39 AM
Belshe1993
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Well looks I am stepping in the right direction!! Thanks guys

Guess I will be taking to the shop for the TC.
Old 07-22-03, 09:30 PM
MQM
Driver

Originally posted by LexCiting
One of my first mods was getting the SRT intake, and TC installed *(check my sig). Both ARE worth it. The TC will give you tire burning takeoffs when you want, and the Intake will get you up to speed faster. I would get the TC installed at the dealer, or at a qualified shop. Also get the TRD Torque Convertor, it is the best for your setup, IMHO. The Supra/RMM TC (both are the same) cost more, and you will bang your rev limiter more than with the TRD TC simply because the Lexus engine ECU isn't programmed for the higher gearing.

Hope this helps.
Where can i get the TRD TC?
Old 07-23-03, 06:37 AM
LexCiting
Lead Lap

That was a typo. I meant to say get the TRD LSD, not TC (thanks redgs4!)
Sorry about that folks.

I corrected my original post.

Anyhow, again one of my first mods was getting the SRT Intake (because it came with a fuel management ECU), and a Torque Convertor from SRT. I called SRT and asked what stall speed for the TC, and they answered my questions on what I was expecting, and planning to do, and recommended a stall speed for me. Stall Speed in a TC is IMPORTANT, so talk to someone before ordering one. Again, the BEST bang for your buck is the TC. IMHO.
IMPORTANT: If you get the TC, also get a TRANSMISSION COOLER installed!!!! They only cost about $45-60, and it is cheap insurance since an aftermarket TC WILL heat your tranny fluid more than the stock one.

My next mod was the TRD LSD, and that helped with traction, and handling the extra takeoff power the TC created. Once you get that installed...

Torque Convorter
Pros: Gives more lower end takeoff power. Instant return on investment!!!!
Cons: A little less mpg on gas (like 1-3 miles less), but that could be because you get addicted to peeling out when you gun it!

Intakes
Pros: Help increase power in your mid to upper rpms. Gives more "pull" at highway speeds.
Cons: A little more noise when you gun it. (Is that a 'con'? )

Last edited by LexCiting; 07-23-03 at 07:01 AM.
Old 07-23-03, 01:31 PM
Guru
Lead Lap

You can also go with the carbon ATS LSD which is an upgrade from the TRD unit. Much smoother and quieter with longer life and greater strength. More expensive though. I have one here. One of these days I will install it.
Old 07-24-03, 10:32 AM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Guru
You can also go with the carbon ATS LSD which is an upgrade from the TRD unit. Much smoother and quieter with longer life and greater strength. More expensive though. I have one here. One of these days I will install it.
What! You haven't installed it yet! Well, I certainly like mine.