Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

2018 IS350 F-Sport AWD | "Go-to" performance upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-19, 10:45 PM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts

The K&N filter is about $60 and the F-Sport usually $10 more, probably not any real difference between them. Often seen used ones available and they are cleanable (at least the K&N is) so will last a lot longer than OEM. Can also replace the intake pipe, but tuners indicate there's no real benefit unless you do more significant mods first, so just the air filter is a good starting point. I also replaced my cabin filter with a K&N, as undoubtedly the dealer would charge about the same for an OEM one that won't last near as long... plus install! Was $100 for both from Amazon, super-easy to change out.
Old 01-02-19, 11:04 PM
itsx
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

The f-sport is also cleanable. Not sure if kn is dry or oiled. (oiled filters need to be dry before you can use it again. So the cleaning process isn't exactly a short one. I haven't had to clean my fsport one either, so I can't comment on that either)

I personally don't hear a sound difference, you're looking at changing the pipe, or getting ram filter. No real hp gains from an intake on a NA car, especially without a tune. You'll feel maybe 2-3? My butt dyno says the car breathes better and therefore is faster/ my old dirty one gave me worse fuel economy so 🤷*♂️ . I do think this is one of the more meaningful mods to do, especially if you're due to replace the engine air filter. It's like one of those, why not?

​​​​​​But if you're after sound, get the short ram cone filter styles.

​​​​​​​​​​​On the note for cabin air filters, I use tyc charcoal element ones. They're about $10 and good enough for me.
Old 01-02-19, 11:10 PM
Manawhat
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by itsx
The f-sport is also cleanable. Not sure if kn is dry or oiled. (oiled filters need to be dry before you can use it again. So the cleaning process isn't exactly a short one. I haven't had to clean my fsport one either, so I can't comment on that either)

I personally don't hear a sound difference, you're looking at changing the pipe, or getting ram filter. No real hp gains from an intake on a NA car, especially without a tune. You'll feel maybe 2-3? My butt dyno says the car breathes better and therefore is faster/ my old dirty one gave me worse fuel economy so 🤷*♂️ . I do think this is one of the more meaningful mods to do, especially if you're due to replace the engine air filter. It's like one of those, why not?

​​​​​​But if you're after sound, get the short ram cone filter styles.

​​​​On the note for cabin air filters, I use tyc charcoal element ones. They're about $10 and good enough for me.
​​​​​​​Unfortunately the only intakes I've found for the 2018 seem to be compatible with either the 350 or the turbo. I can't seem to find any that fit the v6 3.5L AWD that I own
Old 01-02-19, 11:39 PM
itsx
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Manawhat
Unfortunately the only intakes I've found for the 2018 seem to be compatible with either the 350 or the turbo. I can't seem to find any that fit the v6 3.5L AWD that I own
​​​​​​​If the stock filter on is the same as the stock filter for the 2014-2016. Then it'll fit fine. Could be that their compatibility just isn't updated, but as long as the part numbers are the same it'll work.
Old 01-03-19, 06:31 AM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

​​​​​​​Unfortunately the only intakes I've found for the 2018 seem to be compatible with either the 350 or the turbo. I can't seem to find any that fit the v6 3.5L AWD that I own
350 = 3.5L
There are only 2 engines, the turbo 2L and 3.5 V6.

Intakes typically ARE good and effective mods, and I've previously done one on a Mustang and it made a difference in both throttle response and sound, but from rr-racing who have done tunes and superchargers:

Do you recommend aftermarket intakes?
At this time, we do not recommend any aftermarket intakes that remove the factory airbox.

https://www.rr-racing.com/RR-Racing-...ig3xxtne02.htm
The intake pipes aren't that much, but word is that it's possible you may even LOSE some power if you put the wrong type in, assumedly one like they mentioned which gets rid of the stock airbox.
Old 01-03-19, 07:04 AM
Burrcold
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by AtomicAWD
350 = 3.5L
There are three engines. There's a 3.5L V6 on the IS300 AWD.
Old 01-03-19, 07:18 AM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Burrcold

There are three engines. There's a 3.5L V6 on the IS300 AWD.
It's the exact same engine, just detuned by ~50hp.
Old 01-03-19, 07:33 AM
Burrcold
Advanced

It's the exact same engine, just detuned by ~50hp.
I get that but it's still a "different" engine for a different model.
Old 01-03-19, 08:33 AM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

I get that but it's still a "different" engine for a different model.
That's fine, but in the context of the issue:

...it is irrelevant. They are the exact same physical engine, only the tuning of it is different. There is no substantive difference, especially for what he is asking. In fact, the 2is intake tubes will fit the 3is, apparently only the lower airbox part is different.
Old 01-03-19, 08:45 AM
Manawhat
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

350 = 3.5L
Wait so, to clarify -- I have the 3.5L V6, but my model is the 2018 IS300 AWD.. When shopping around, any product that indicates compatible with the 2018 IS350 should still fit mine?
Old 01-03-19, 09:08 AM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Wait so, to clarify -- I have the 3.5L V6, but my model is the 2018 IS300 AWD.. When shopping around, any product that indicates compatible with the 2018 IS350 should still fit mine?
That is correct, sir -- they are the same engine. In fact, rr-racing can tune yours up to and even past the OEM spec of the 350:

We especially excited to report the results of our IS300 tune. Now IS/RC300 owners can have all the power of an IS/RC350 at a fraction of the cost, by simply recalibrating the ECU!

https://www.rr-racing.com/RR-Racing-...ig3xxtne02.htm
There can be differences between RWD and AWD though, as things like springs won't always match, but your engine and related components are the same. Like with BMW, we cannot always match up model numbers with engine displacement anymore, just as Lexus first called the 2L turbo "200t" but now it's "300 RWD", at least here in Canada.
Old 01-03-19, 09:10 AM
Burrcold
Advanced

That's fine, but in the context of the issue:

...it is irrelevant. They are the exact same physical engine, only the tuning of it is different. There is no substantive difference, especially for what he is asking. In fact, the 2is intake tubes will fit the 3is, apparently only the lower airbox part is different.
You said "350 = 3.5L". I was just trying to clarify that the 3.5 is also the 300 AWD (albeit the same engine but detuned), many newcomers don't know that and are confused if it's not broken down.
Old 01-03-19, 09:14 AM
Burrcold
Advanced

That is correct, sir -- they are the same engine. In fact, rr-racing can tune yours up to and even past the OEM spec of the 350:

There can be differences between RWD and AWD though, as things like springs won't always match, but your engine and related components are the same. Like with BMW, we cannot always match up model numbers with engine displacement anymore, just as Lexus first called the 2L turbo "200t" but now it's "300 RWD", at least here in Canada.
To the OP, be careful with tunes and warranty. Yours is a 2018 and I'm sure you would hate to see any warranty work denied (even as solid as this tune is).
Old 01-03-19, 09:23 AM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

You said "350 = 3.5L". I was just trying to clarify that the 3.5 is also the 300 AWD (albeit the same engine but detuned), many newcomers don't know that and are confused if it's not broken down.
Telling them there are "three engines" is what IS confusing, when there are only two. Rather, there are three models (at least, in Canada). He wanted to know if parts (specifically intakes) on a 300 and 350 engine are the same, and they are so long as he does not have a 300 RWD, which IS a different engine. All ISs with V6 are the same engine with the identical parts.

IS 300 RWD = 2.0L 4cyl turbo
IS 300 RWD = 3.5L V6
IS 350 AWD = 3.5L V6
Old 01-03-19, 09:29 AM
itsx
Intermediate

If you have a turbo, which i hope you should've noticed by now, you'll have the same motor as the is200t, which got rebadged as the newer is300. I think this only applied to the RWD.

If you have the v6, you have the detuned is350 motor. If you have the v6, then the one i posted prior will fit bc we have the same motor. If you have the turbo then you'll be looking at the same intake as the is200t

Quick Reply: 2018 IS350 F-Sport AWD | "Go-to" performance upgrades?