Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

cat converters? ok to remove?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-03, 01:07 PM
lspower
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default cat converters? ok to remove?

i was wandering if anyone has ever taken them off i want to take them clean them out then put right back on.
thanks
Old 07-29-03, 10:25 PM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Should be no problem. Just be careful with your O2 sensors (if they exist on your US cars).

Unless you are removing them permanently, then it makes it illegal in the US.

Now, here in Jakarta on the other hand..... *evil grin*
Old 07-30-03, 08:19 PM
roenick7
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they come right off with 6 bolts it is easy with an overhead (15 min). If you drive with them off you get a "too rich error from the egine light and an O2 sensor error. Driven 20,000 miles w/o mine.
Old 08-03-03, 10:23 AM
chanmannyhc
Driver

hey Roenick7 is it really ok to drive w/o cats? I might try that and get 2 testtubes, but i thought the ECU will run the car too lean, due to the rich signal from the second set of O2 sensors. too lean=detonation but maybe engineers programed the ecu to accept this no problem.
Old 08-05-03, 11:32 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Guys, lspower has a 1990 LS400 and that car only has 2 oxygen sensors, both before the cats, removing the cats will not create a problem. Now, in later engines such as ours with four o2 sensors, removing the cats will throw codes. One solution that the Corvette crowd uses are o2 simulators. These plug in and send a fake signal that all is well. A pair cost around $200.
Old 08-07-03, 12:32 PM
Belshe1993
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Would MIL eliminators work on this?? I had an O/R X pipe on my 99 cobra and with the CATS off it would throw a light. MILS cost me about $50 and gave the computer the reading that the CATS were still on there. It was an easy splice and took about 10 minutes to do.

Just curious if this would work on the Lexus as well?

Red Rover
Old 08-07-03, 09:18 PM
LexDiamond
Lead Lap

Man I'd love to gut the cat on my es300 I bet it would make the pedal MUCH lighter

Anyone ever do this on a ES300? Maybe I can get a donor Converter to hollow out since I don't wanna gut mine and then it's throwing codes like crazy.
Old 08-08-03, 07:43 AM
tomtnc
Pole Position

The cat systems on the GS and even LS cars seem to be very efficient (especially multiple cat systems). Removing the cats will lean the a/f mixture on OBD II cars and probably hurt performance more than help it in a non-forced induction application (and possibly cause detonation).

I've owned two 11 second cars (OBD I) and I retained single cats on both (random technology); there was no measurable difference in 1/4 mile mph with or without the cats. There are well published tests in many performance magazines that show the HP gain from removal of a cat / cats isn't worth the pollution you're introducing into the environment.

Last edited by tomtnc; 08-08-03 at 07:56 AM.
Old 08-08-03, 10:45 PM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by tomtnc
The cat systems on the GS and even LS cars seem to be very efficient (especially multiple cat systems). Removing the cats will lean the a/f mixture on OBD II cars and probably hurt performance more than help it in a non-forced induction application (and possibly cause detonation).

I've owned two 11 second cars (OBD I) and I retained single cats on both (random technology); there was no measurable difference in 1/4 mile mph with or without the cats. There are well published tests in many performance magazines that show the HP gain from removal of a cat / cats isn't worth the pollution you're introducing into the environment.
Finally a voice of experience!!!!

My personal experience is very very similar. I don't have an 11 sec car, but I do have a 12 sec car. I too run RT cat in it. I tried a test pipe (cat off and straight pipe replaces the space) and have tried both variations (test pipe vs RT cat) at both the dyno and the track. The benefits were very very marginal. I'm talking about only a handful of HP at best. I also have a few buddies that tried the same (test pipe vs RT cat vs stock) on similar vehicles, except they were mostly stock. Same results.

Personally, I think it's a complete waste of time to gut, remove, or alter a catalytic converter. If you really really want to have less restriction, buy a race-cat and be done. Personally, I've been there and done that both ways and didn't see any real benefit. Besides, it's terrible for the environment.

You will probably get just as much HP gains from an Octane Booster bottle....
Old 09-02-04, 09:31 PM
lspower
Pole Position

race cats aka test pipes or low cpi cats?
my dad has an audi s4 w/downpipes w/o precats, wow what a diff, but anyways, he is running a pair of cats but they are very very flowing they are 200cpi (cells per inch) i asked a company and he said he can get 200cpi cats but they are from germany and they are 300$ a piece. anywhere u know where i can get true hi flow cats for less? t/y
ryan
Old 09-03-04, 11:30 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Metal Substrate core cats are the WAY to go. Here is a link I just found that has the best price I have ever seen... only $150 each. This is for earlier cars as Lexus has gone from ceramic core to metal substrate core on later models.

http://www.rpmoutlet.com/powercat.htm

Do NOT just gut a cat. You will LOOSE power. Test pipes are the way to go and they can even loose power on some configurations. Turbo engines are another thing all together but still react very favorably to a high capacity metal substrate cat.
Old 09-13-04, 03:35 PM
Guru
Lead Lap

Not sure on the LS400 but my GS400 has metal cats on it. Not worth it to remove as they flow very very well. Also, I tried to remove mine and found that the car was unbearably loud with no cats. Holy resonances! It was undrivable! I probably wouldn't bother.
Old 07-15-05, 04:55 AM
lspower
Pole Position

i took my car to the guy that did my catback and he said he could remove the cats then put either 2 or 2.25 press bent pipes to my catback..cost 250$, i asked him why he couldnt just cut off the cats and weld in a 2 inch pipe and he gave me some reason....anyways what do you guys think?

thanks
ryan
Old 07-15-05, 07:16 AM
Hollywood
Lead Lap

Why not just use 1 high flow cat instead of 3 cats put both sensors on the pipe after, done like dinner.
Old 07-15-05, 07:21 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

The original question mentioned cleaning them, I am pretty sure you cannot clean a cat. It either works or it doesnt. The intense heat is what burns off contaminants.

Quick Reply: cat converters? ok to remove?