Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

2JZGTE VVTI Mil Code List Needed!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-19, 10:15 PM
VIP161
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2JZGTE VVTI Mil Code List Needed!!

I have a 98 GS300 with a 2JZGTE VVTI swap. Its BPU on the stock ECU.

Symptoms:
With motor at operating temperature, when I come to a stop sign, the engine begins to idle rough and low until it eventually dies. When under load, the turbos produce no boost.

Codes:
I was able to pull mil codes 18 and 59.

After a ton of searching, I was able to find a russian website that have a mil code list but it did not specify if the codes applied to a 2JZGTE with VVTI. Code 18 says "18 Fuel quantity adjuster -malfunction. Code 59 says "59 VVT-i Valve - for FSE)".

Can someone confirm or provide me with a list of 2JZGTE VVTI Mil codes? I am not looking for a DTC code list since I am running an Aristo ECU and would need a JOBD scanner.
Old 04-19-19, 08:02 PM
VIP161
Lead Lap

Ok so I found the solution to the problem. Im still going to post what I did to help those of you with Aristo swaps and no JOBD scanner.

Step 1) On the diagnostics connector in the engine bay, grab a wire or paperclip and jump wires E1 and TC. Then turn the ignition to the "ON" position and count the number of check engine light blinks. Write the number of blinks down in between pauses. If you stare at it long enough it will become obvious as to how many codes you actually have. The codes are going to be two digits each because these are mil codes not DTC codes.

Step 2) I searched all over the internet to see what the definition of the two mil codes were. It was not easy finding a mil code definition list for an OBD2 2JZGTE VVTI. Since one of the codes was for the VVTI solenoid and I know how common it is to have to replace those, I went ahead and replaced it. Code 18 was probably a generic code because of code 59. I had an extremely new solenoid from my old GE motor that I put on the GTE. Its been said before that the GE VVTI solenoid is not compatible with the GTE VVTI just because the part numbers don't match. After driving the car hard for a solid day with no symptoms, I can honestly say that they are interchangeable.

New solenoid is on, no more CEL light.
Old 04-19-19, 09:33 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

good job. those jobd scanners are on ebay for about 50 bucks though. wouldn't hurt to have one.
Old 04-24-19, 06:26 PM
VIP161
Lead Lap

Not bat at all. I cant believe the thought never crossed my mind.