Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Fluidyne or other performance radiator

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-03, 11:49 PM
SilverLexo
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fluidyne or other performance radiator

It looks like the only Fluidyne for toyota is for the Supra. Has anyone installed this radiator in the GS4? I assume you would also need to upgrade the tranny cooler. If anyone has done this mod, I would really appriciate some feedback, maybe even a pic or two?
Thanx
Old 08-18-03, 05:51 AM
tomtnc
Pole Position

Why would you add an aftermarket radiator to a GS4? Even if you add forced induction to the car, this is no guarantee you will need to increase the cooling capacity / performance of the stock system (which is pretty darn good).
Old 08-18-03, 07:35 AM
SilverLexo
Lead Lap

It just seems that when adding a SC or turbo to any vehicle one of the main objectives is to keep your drivetrain running cool. I've seen a lot of people adding tranny coolers after forced induction and TC mods in their GS's. I figure if you're going to add a tranny cooler and intercooler, why not include an oil cooler, radiator and steel hoses at the same time (complete the mod).

But...If the GS's stock cooling system is really so efficient that it is completely unessisary to modify...hell that just means more $$ for other things like a bigger SC.

Any comments from forced induction GS's on this and any other cooling problems with turbo vs. SC?
Thanks..
Old 08-18-03, 01:00 PM
JZS14SEVEN
Driver

a overly simplified example... energy goes to 3 places after combustion
-converted to mechanical work (moving the crank)
-absorbed by the cooling system
-goes out your tail pipe (exaust gas)

by having more power you can feel.. @ crank
where does the rest of the energy go?
or your cooling system is ok to handle more heat?
exaust system big enough to flow out extra exaust gas?

who knows... your AC condenser is probably jackin up airflow to yer radiator anywayz
Old 08-18-03, 02:17 PM
SilverLexo
Lead Lap

that's nice
Old 08-18-03, 04:36 PM
tomtnc
Pole Position

The search function can work miracles when used.

From a search on the keywords GS300 turbo in the GS4/3 forums, you will find a link that discusses GS300 Turbo 1/4 mile times. In this link, you will learn that Marken Smith of SRT (a premier Lexus tuner) has a turbo GS300. A check of the Swift Racing Technology website lists the four stages of turbo kits SRT offers for the GS300 up to 1000 RWHP. The parts list for all four stages of turbo does not include an aftermarket radiator.

Case

Last edited by tomtnc; 08-18-03 at 04:39 PM.
Old 08-18-03, 11:50 PM
SilverLexo
Lead Lap

Originally posted by tomtnc
[B]The search function can work miracles when used.

From a search on the keywords GS300 turbo in the GS4/3 forums...
Yeah, that seach feature is really cool!! Thank you for bringing that to my attention BUT...
Have you used it to search for "aftermarket radiators", or "radiators", not much there (which is what I searched for before I posted this, but thanks again for going over the steps with me). Also, I have a 400, and am looking for an after market radiator, how would I have found that post? And if I did, it still wouldn't have answered my question, and I'd still be here. So as far as I can find on these forums, there is not one post stating: "There is no aftermarket radiator for the GS400, and it's pointless to attempt to increase your cooling capacity".

Gotta be one of the only cars I have seen with so many options for FI, but no aftermarket radiator, or for that matter no need for one...cool saves money!!
However, a nice fluidyne radiator with steel braided hoses does look very tight.
Old 08-19-03, 06:14 AM
tomtnc
Pole Position

Originally posted by SilverLexo
Yeah, that seach feature is really cool!! Thank you for bringing that to my attention BUT...
Have you used it to search for "aftermarket radiators", or "radiators", not much there (which is what I searched for before I posted this, but thanks again for going over the steps with me). Also, I have a 400, and am looking for an after market radiator, how would I have found that post? And if I did, it still wouldn't have answered my question, and I'd still be here. So as far as I can find on these forums, there is not one post stating: "There is no aftermarket radiator for the GS400, and it's pointless to attempt to increase your cooling capacity".

Gotta be one of the only cars I have seen with so many options for FI, but no aftermarket radiator, or for that matter no need for one...cool saves money!!
However, a nice fluidyne radiator with steel braided hoses does look very tight.
I agree, the aftermarket radiator and especially the steel braided hoses would look cool but offer no function.

SRT has a twin-turbo GS400 application which, to the best of my knowledge, does not include an aftermarket radiator in the kit. There are one or two CL members that have the SRT twin turbo kit in their GS400. Maybe a search on GS400 Turbo will give you some more useful information with regards to FI GS400 and engine heat managment
Old 08-19-03, 01:49 PM
JZS14SEVEN
Driver

Default hmmm

i'd have to agree the braided lines won't do anything...
but an aftermarket all aluminum radiator having "no function"???
Toyota engineers did not have 1000hp of heat in mind when designing the factory radiator(heat exchanger)

Sure you can make the power...
Can you exchange enough heat to constantly make that power??
Old 08-19-03, 07:23 PM
tomtnc
Pole Position

Default Re: hmmm

Originally posted by JZS14SEVEN
i'd have to agree the braided lines won't do anything...
but an aftermarket all aluminum radiator having "no function"???
Toyota engineers did not have 1000hp of heat in mind when designing the factory radiator(heat exchanger)

Sure you can make the power...
Can you exchange enough heat to constantly make that power??
The answer from SRT is yes

But hey, don't take it from me, look at the guys who own and have built the cars without the shiny radiator.

Last edited by tomtnc; 08-19-03 at 07:25 PM.