Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Performance Intakes and their Impact: Datalog MAF g/s Comparison Results

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-23, 03:33 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 536 Likes on 318 Posts

Those are some great readings,especially without headers and midpipes. The 2GR is loving that cold dense air in your neck of the woods. It's low 90s here in Florida so I'm envious of those 40-50 degree temps. 😁
The following users liked this post:
2013FSport (04-15-23)
Old 04-23-23, 04:44 PM
Yodog
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I think I’m going switchback to the cone filter and try this ram air duct air diverter mod thing.

on a side note, has anyone had any problems with their maf sensor connector? Particularly it not properly locking/snapping on to secure the connection? Any ideas on remedies?
Old 04-24-23, 10:34 AM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 773 Likes on 675 Posts

A question for I350 MAF at idle. While idle it's basically just using direct injection. Which MAF is reading 2.7 g/s???? Or Should it be reading around 3.5 g/s the same as engine displacement?

Let me rephrase ny question. At what point does the 2GR start using direct, and port.

Last edited by MikeFig82; 04-24-23 at 03:41 PM.
Old 05-30-23, 07:35 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,376 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
Hey Chris, I haven't had time to download results and make an official post but I was mildly surprised to see my 4 OEM CATs pull a MAF flow rate of 250 g/s. How about them apples???

R&R tune, F-Sport axleback, F-Sport intake & air box w a WIX paper filter. I've seen 250 g/s pretty consistently while the temps here remain in the 40s 50s. And ya the 254 was off the limiter.

I'll try to post some real data at some point.

What app is this to monitor with?
Old 06-06-23, 09:00 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,529 Likes on 1,272 Posts

Originally Posted by jgscott
What app is this to monitor with?
OBD Fusion with Lexus PID pack added if you trans temp and knock correction values.
jgscott (06-12-23)
Old 02-20-24, 05:10 PM
AJ3GS
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi, just revisiting this thread. So just to confirm, the f sport intake box has no negative performance effects? I'm planning to do something similar to my GS, but since they don't make the f sport box for it, I'm planning to just cut a circular hole to get the same effect.
Old 02-20-24, 06:17 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 536 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by AJ3GS
Hi, just revisiting this thread. So just to confirm, the f sport intake box has no negative performance effects? I'm planning to do something similar to my GS, but since they don't make the f sport box for it, I'm planning to just cut a circular hole to get the same effect.
No negative attributes that I noted with the additional intake port on the front portion of the lower intake box. IATs were unaffected and the additional cool air slipping from the side of the passenger headlight allowed for more ambient air to be used by the intake system which was documented by the increased airflow from the datalogs.
The following 2 users liked this post by redspencer:
jgscott (02-23-24), Nunz (03-19-24)
Old 03-15-24, 12:29 PM
Idkyet2is
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

I wonder how the 3 1/4 diameter 2is F-Sport aluminium tube and the RR carbon tube would perform compared to these that were datalogged.. currently stuck between which intake tube to get.
Old 03-15-24, 02:15 PM
Yodog
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Idkyet2is
I wonder how the 3 1/4 diameter 2is F-Sport aluminium tube and the RR carbon tube would perform compared to these that were datalogged.. currently stuck between which intake tube to get.
their different diameter than the stock oem tube? Didn’t know that if so…

The main thing id be considering when choosing between those two intake tube options would be, the RR racing does not have the side hose cutout for the ventilation hose, so a tune or something might be needed for optimal air fuel ratios / performance
Old 03-15-24, 05:02 PM
Idkyet2is
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Yodog
their different diameter than the stock oem tube? Didn’t know that if so…

The main thing id be considering when choosing between those two intake tube options would be, the RR racing does not have the side hose cutout for the ventilation hose, so a tune or something might be needed for optimal air fuel ratios / performance
But is the tune needed because the lack of the hose allowing better air flow in the tube??
Old 03-15-24, 08:16 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Myself and another CL Member ran the AEM Tube and drop in Filter. My other Friend had the RR Racing one. I also bought a RR Racing one off of ebay a few years back and tested it against the AEM on my 13 GS350. We switched them up on the 3 cars for a few weeks. We all felt the AEM just was more responsive and pulled better. We could all tell the difference.

I eventually Installed the AEM with the Oiled filter as a preference, capped of the small tube on the small pipe that goes to the crankcase vent, and installed a small crankcase filter off the valve cover. Did this to reduce the Air temps inside the intake tube going to the TB. I also got the IS350 F Sport Intake Box top that has a slight bit more volume for the factory air box. It worked out well. One of the Lexus ECU Tuners told me the AEM was best and that they flow bench test their Intakes.

I eventually switched over to the AEM Full cone intake. You could feel even more of a difference with it. This was also confirmed with my other GS350 friend who moved to the full cone AEM also, as his Dad drove his car sometimes and not knowing he switched said his car just felt faster also.
I still have the AEM drop in, and the RR Racing set up and F Sport Box top stored some where. Don't know where it is right now, but I'll pull it out and sell it here on Market place some day. But I think it only fits the GS350, except for the F Sport Box top that is for the IS350. We never had a CEL or problems with any of the set up's.
The following 2 users liked this post by jgscott:
Nunz (03-19-24), Yodog (03-16-24)
Old 03-16-24, 12:45 AM
Idkyet2is
Pit Crew

Is this the AEM filter you said was the best that u tested for your gs350 ?
Old 03-16-24, 07:10 AM
Yodog
Pit Crew

But is the tune needed because the lack of the hose allowing better air flow in the tube??
technically no. But it would make it slightly more likely to throw a CEL, incase other parameters are less than ideal then it might cause a problem, although unlikely.

there Will be a slight to moderate air/fuel inaccuracy without a tune. When I ran it with the side hose capped off, it felt like more power some of the time and other times it felt like a lack of power (mainly torque). Could be from other causes though, this is just my anecdotal experience.

im sure with a tune it’ll be better all around (rr tune with rr intake tube for example).

I haven’t gotten myself to spend $500 for the rr tune, especially since I may just end up swapping out the entire engine in this car anyways.

if the rr tune was like $300-350 i think I would’ve bought it but yea…. Not the case lol
Old 03-16-24, 03:01 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Is this the AEM filter you said was the best that u tested for your gs350 ?
Yep, that's the last one we used. Capped off the small Tube on the right near the AEM sticker. Installed a PVC Crankcase filter like linked below. No CEL's. Reset pulling the battery cable for about 10mins. Give it 100 - 200 miles to dial in the stock ECU. Add a bit of Octane Booster. Enjoy.

@Nunz has a GS F now but ran the AEM full cone above 1st. Alex what were your thoughts on the AEM full cone on the GS350 you had? Tell them about your Dad.

Not sure if this was the size or not?
Amazon Amazon
Nunz (03-19-24)
Old 03-19-24, 11:25 AM
Nunz
Pit Crew

Received 137 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by jgscott
Yep, that's the last one we used. Capped off the small Tube on the right near the AEM sticker. Installed a PVC Crankcase filter like linked below. No CEL's. Reset pulling the battery cable for about 10mins. Give it 100 - 200 miles to dial in the stock ECU. Add a bit of Octane Booster. Enjoy.

@Nunz has a GS F now but ran the AEM full cone above 1st. Alex what were your thoughts on the AEM full cone on the GS350 you had? Tell them about your Dad.

Not sure if this was the size or not?
https://www.amazon.com/Crankcase-Bre...qEALw_wcB&th=1
@jgscott I think that was the right size, I am not 100% certain as I no longer have that vehicle.

Honestly, I originally ran just the AEM Tube without the cone with the F Sport upper airbox top, using the stock lower airbox. I noticed an initial difference but nothing crazy. It was not until I ran the full AEM cone that I noticed a big difference in the responsiveness of the car and a slight power increase. The cone filter also allowed for a bit more intake noise which was a huge plus for me personally. I let my dad drive my 350 to get his unbiased opinion and he loved the difference of how the car drove with the full AEM cone CAI. Please note that I was running a D3 tune for the 350 that worked best with a cone filter.

Honestly, I eventually plan to run the AEM cone filter made for the RCF on my GSF after the experience I had with it on the 2GR-FSE.
jgscott (03-19-24)

Quick Reply: Performance Intakes and their Impact: Datalog MAF g/s Comparison Results