Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Thinking on an aftermarket exhaust, 2016 IS350 F Sport AWD.

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-19, 07:13 PM
Vgota350
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by silbercar
Ugh I have the original gaskets that are rusted. I bought this used after all. Think I could ask the shop to use the OEM gaskets.

and unfortunately not, I live in Toronto.
Hopfuly it goes with no issues. Can't wait to know how it goes.
Old 11-09-19, 04:08 AM
silbercar
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Vgota350
And that’s why I’ll be keeping my stock exhaust but I’ll keep you updated
Old 11-09-19, 09:21 AM
silbercar
Driver

UPDATE on the ARK GRIP EXHAUST:

I had it installed at a shop called Zoro Mufflers in Mississauga (east of Toronto). The mechanic discarded the gaskets I had and put in new ones. Overall a very good experience with this shop - professional installed and you were also allowed to be inside the shop and see the installation. This costed $100 pre-tax and it was about an hour long.

My impression of this exhaust is that it sounds very smooth and refined. People say this is loud but once you drive this in person, you’ll probably want to go a little louder. IMO it’s the perfect volume.

The start up sounds deep and pleasant, it doesn’t startle anybody. Videos really do not do justice for this: you need to have to have this on your Lexus IS and experience it. It feels like a different animal! You’ll definitely be addicted to slamming the gas pedal too...

My driving enjoyment has profoundly increased ever since the installation. In terms of power difference, there’s no difference I feel but I don’t care much for that tbh. The increase is about 10hp? Nothing significant.

Droning is minimal on the highway but as long as you’re playing music it’s nothing to be bothered about. But now, I would prefer to drive without music or keep the volume low and just listen to that purr. The sound reminds me very much like one of those modded Infiniti Gs and Qs!!

The tips are intimidatingly HUGE. Bigger than the size of my clenched fist in diameter. They give that impression that the car has a lot of power so you’ll be less likely to get messed around with by people that like to tailgate. The tips have a nice blue-burnt colouring to it. I don’t remember what it’s called but it’s something like a titanium finish. Polished up, it is an absolute marvel to look at.

My rating: 11/10. Must get? Yes!! But if you like a car that’s quiet, this won’t be for you. It is loud but not overwhelmingly loud. Definitely do it right on the start if you are planning on an exhaust upgrade.
Old 11-09-19, 10:40 AM
Vgota350
Rookie

UPDATE on the ARK GRIP EXHAUST:

I had it installed at a shop called Zoro Mufflers in Mississauga (east of Toronto). The mechanic discarded the gaskets I had and put in new ones. Overall a very good experience with this shop - professional installed and you were also allowed to be inside the shop and see the installation. This costed $100 pre-tax and it was about an hour long.

My impression of this exhaust is that it sounds very smooth and refined. People say this is loud but once you drive this in person, you’ll probably want to go a little louder. IMO it’s the perfect volume.

The start up sounds deep and pleasant, it doesn’t startle anybody. Videos really do not do justice for this: you need to have to have this on your Lexus IS and experience it. It feels like a different animal! You’ll definitely be addicted to slamming the gas pedal too...

My driving enjoyment has profoundly increased ever since the installation. In terms of power difference, there’s no difference I feel but I don’t care much for that tbh. The increase is about 10hp? Nothing significant.

Droning is minimal on the highway but as long as you’re playing music it’s nothing to be bothered about. But now, I would prefer to drive without music or keep the volume low and just listen to that purr. The sound reminds me very much like one of those modded Infiniti Gs and Qs!!

The tips are intimidatingly HUGE. Bigger than the size of my clenched fist in diameter. They give that impression that the car has a lot of power so you’ll be less likely to get messed around with by people that like to tailgate. The tips have a nice blue-burnt colouring to it. I don’t remember what it’s called but it’s something like a titanium finish. Polished up, it is an absolute marvel to look at.

My rating: 11/10. Must get? Yes!! But if you like a car that’s quiet, this won’t be for you. It is loud but not overwhelmingly loud. Definitely do it right on the start if you are planning on an exhaust upgrade.
WOW! What a pleasant update. Thank you for sharing. I am very excited to get mine done. I see online that it will cost me around 1600 to 1800 new. Do you mind sharing what you paid for it? Also you mentioned you were saving your oem exhaust, did it fit in the car after removal? Also, do you know if they used oem gaskets? And finally, are you familiar with the tune from rr racing?
Old 11-09-19, 11:12 AM
silbercar
Driver

WOW! What a pleasant update. Thank you for sharing. I am very excited to get mine done. I see online that it will cost me around 1600 to 1800 new. Do you mind sharing what you paid for it? Also you mentioned you were saving your oem exhaust, did it fit in the car after removal? Also, do you know if they used oem gaskets? And finally, are you familiar with the tune from rr racing?
I managed to snag a sweet deal off a guy from Kijiji so I paid about $1600CAD cash up front. He was the second owner. First owner had it on a lease and then he went on to a different vehicle and then the seller had it just for the summer this year. He now needs a truck after buying some land so he gave his IS to his dad and his dad wasn’t really thrilled about the exhaust so they switched back to OEM. So that makes me the third owner. It was used for less than a year: no rust because it’s stainless steel.

After the removal of OEM exhaust, the two pipes were too long to fit in the car so the mechanic sawed them in half. They can always be welded on again anyways. As for OEM gaskets, I know nothing about that but since they mentioned that the gaskets I had showed signs of leaking, they replaced it with their own from the shop.

And yes I’ve heard of RR racing but I never plan on a tune from them. Reason being is I’m particular about the longevity of my car and I am planning to keep this Lexus for the next 6-8 years (depending if I don’t get bored of it).
Old 11-10-19, 05:38 PM
Vgota350
Rookie

I managed to snag a sweet deal off a guy from Kijiji so I paid about $1600CAD cash up front. He was the second owner. First owner had it on a lease and then he went on to a different vehicle and then the seller had it just for the summer this year. He now needs a truck after buying some land so he gave his IS to his dad and his dad wasn’t really thrilled about the exhaust so they switched back to OEM. So that makes me the third owner. It was used for less than a year: no rust because it’s stainless steel.

After the removal of OEM exhaust, the two pipes were too long to fit in the car so the mechanic sawed them in half. They can always be welded on again anyways. As for OEM gaskets, I know nothing about that but since they mentioned that the gaskets I had showed signs of leaking, they replaced it with their own from the shop.

And yes I’ve heard of RR racing but I never plan on a tune from them. Reason being is I’m particular about the longevity of my car and I am planning to keep this Lexus for the next 6-8 years (depending if I don’t get bored of it).
That make sense it can come off a leased vehicle that is about to be turned in. I will probably look into that. How did you find out about it? I too want to keep my lexus for as much as possible. Although the tune allows you to Rev past the manufacturer's limit, it does not mean you have to get it reved that high. It will probably be hard not too I must admit lol. Aside from revving high and driving hard, do you think the tune would affect the longevity of the car? I'm considering the tune after getting the exhaust.
Old 11-11-19, 03:38 AM
silbercar
Driver

That make sense it can come off a leased vehicle that is about to be turned in. I will probably look into that. How did you find out about it? I too want to keep my lexus for as much as possible. Although the tune allows you to Rev past the manufacturer's limit, it does not mean you have to get it reved that high. It will probably be hard not too I must admit lol. Aside from revving high and driving hard, do you think the tune would affect the longevity of the car? I'm considering the tune after getting the exhaust.
Like I said, browse kijiji. You can find many second hand stuff there. If you’re deadset on the tune for a faster IS, you bought the wrong car. The tune will definitely affect the longevity because the engine gets pushed harder by the supercharger. And that’s if you plan to keep the car for more than a few years.

Might as well get the ISF or an F car. I love the engine in this car as well as the exhaust note but the transmission is just not quick enough for spirited driving. My IS350 may not be fast like an M3 but 306 horses (or 316 with the ark grip haha!) is already overkill for everyday driving.
Old 11-18-19, 05:50 PM
Axleis350
Driver School Candidate

Default Tanabe

Did Tanabe give up make exhaust for Lexus is350? I have been waiting since last May and still nothing.
Old 11-18-19, 07:45 PM
silbercar
Driver

Originally Posted by Axleis350
Did Tanabe give up make exhaust for Lexus is350? I have been waiting since last May and still nothing.
I’m not sure on Tanabe but I can tell you that Ark grip has far exceeded my expectations in an aftermarket exhaust for my IS350. I get a few stares during my drive everyday and the downshifts sounds so nice in it.
The following users liked this post:
Axleis350 (11-18-19)