Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

How To Make IS350 Quieter

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-19, 01:26 PM
Brosillo
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How To Make IS350 Quieter

I know this may sound odd, but I am trying to figure out the easiest/cheapest way to make my IS350 quieter. My gf has been driving this car as I have upgraded vehicles and she hates how loud it is. I originally had the Tsudo axle back and AR-25 resonator. I loved the sound but she wasn't really a fan. I swapped out the AR-25 resonator for the longest glasspack muffler available at my local exhaust shop since that is what they recommended to bring the sound level down. Well they were right and it was SOOOO much quieter after this and she was happy. Over the past 6 months since swapping out the resonators, it seems like it is just as loud again. She actually likes the look of the larger exhaust tips, as do I, because it does make the rear of the car look "cooler", so we don't want to change the Tsudo axle back part. The car actually wasn't even that loud with just the Tsudo until you revved it out. So what can I do to quiet up this setup that would be the easiest/cheapest? I don't want another solution that only lasts a few months and then needs to be fixed again, but I also haven't been able to find a new 2008 Lexus IS350 OEM resonator online. Any help is appreciated.
Old 11-19-19, 03:19 PM
Zmon
Racer

Received 222 Likes on 186 Posts

Easiest way? Go back to stock, and that includes going back to the stock axleback. Unfortunately, if you cut off the midpipe, you'll have to see if a shop can weld in an OE aftermarket equivalent, or find one. With the amount of members here that remove theirs, I wouldn't be surprised to see one offer to sell one to you if you post in the classifieds section.
The following users liked this post:
sunamer (11-23-19)
Old 11-19-19, 08:42 PM
davidbusta
Intermediate

Received 87 Likes on 68 Posts

Im planning on getting an axleback for my car within the upcoming weeks and possibly a resonator delete. if you are still interested in a stock setup by then i wouldn’t mind selling it to you. 06 is350 but i think it should fit.
Old 11-20-19, 10:03 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,536 Likes on 1,278 Posts

Rather than a cheap glasspack get one filled with SS mesh. It should last for 4 years or so. Then again if its all short drives never reaching full temp to get the moisture out its life be shorter...
Old 12-09-19, 06:46 PM
DickH
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

If you are just trying to quieten the car for someone inside try gutting the trunk and adding sound deadening material. I did this to mine and it reduced the noise inside the car quite a bit.
Old 01-21-20, 09:04 AM
Brosillo
Rookie

Still looking for a solution to this. Stock used exhaust parts are ridiculously expensive (some are more expensive than upgraded midpipes...). Is there any specific resonator or muffler I could put on my car that will guarantee a quiet exhaust. See attached for an example of how my exhaust sounded before the resonator and after. If I could get back to the "before" sound level for my girlfriend, that would be awesome.

Old 02-20-20, 11:42 AM
Brosillo
Rookie

All,

I found a used resonator online that says it fits 2006 - 2013 LEXUS IS250 IS350 2.5L V6. It was stock from a 2011 IS250 and has 86k miles on it. Would just getting this stock part or getting the Vibrant 2.5" Ultra Quiet Resonator make my car quieter. If it was new vs new I would easily go with the OEM replacement, but the 86k miles worries me a bit. Thoughts?
Old 02-20-20, 11:48 AM
davidbusta
Intermediate

Received 87 Likes on 68 Posts

I dont think mileage really matters too much on exhaust parts as long as they are not rusted, have cracks, or leaks on it.
Old 05-29-20, 08:36 AM
Brosillo
Rookie

Bump for question:

I finally purchased a stock but used resonator (Toyota part #53102) and took my car to a muffler shop. I explained the situation about how the muffler/resonator I currently have on the car seemed to make the car extremely droney and loud, and I just want to get it back to stock. The muffler shop refused to just replace the current installed muffler with the stock part I purchased. The place has really good reviews, and the guy I talked to was very nice, but he said he didn't want to take my money for something he thinks isn't going to help at all. The advice I got from this forum is getting it back to the stock resonator is the correct strategy to get it quieter. You can see the above youtube video how much a difference there was even with the aftermarket axle back exhaust. So now I don't know what to do. Was this guy wrong and I should just find somewhere else to install the stock resonator?
Old 05-29-20, 11:48 PM
Thannp
Pit Crew

Received 69 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Brosillo
Bump for question:

I finally purchased a stock but used resonator (Toyota part #53102) and took my car to a muffler shop. I explained the situation about how the muffler/resonator I currently have on the car seemed to make the car extremely droney and loud, and I just want to get it back to stock. The muffler shop refused to just replace the current installed muffler with the stock part I purchased. The place has really good reviews, and the guy I talked to was very nice, but he said he didn't want to take my money for something he thinks isn't going to help at all. The advice I got from this forum is getting it back to the stock resonator is the correct strategy to get it quieter. You can see the above youtube video how much a difference there was even with the aftermarket axle back exhaust. So now I don't know what to do. Was this guy wrong and I should just find somewhere else to install the stock resonator?
I believe that stock resonator is the quietest resonator out there for 2IS