Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

LSD without TC...worthwhile?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-03, 01:07 PM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question LSD without TC...worthwhile?

I had a nice little visit with my friends at John Roberts Lexus of Austin and had them tell me that a TRD LSD would be an okay mod in their opinions like the L-Tuned and TRD suspension stuff I've already put on.

So that drives a question...is there really any value to a limited slip differential if you don't have a torque converter? I know that these two are quite complementary since the TC puts more of the available power to the ground, and the LSD lets you actually use that power without smoking the tires every time. But what does an LSD by itself do? How would one use it and what would the difference be in everyday driving and aggressive driving?

Sorry if this has been discussed before. I did a quick search and didn't find quite this question being asked or answered.
Old 08-27-03, 01:20 PM
JacobT
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Scott,

If you see VSC warning light on your dash flashing all the time, with TRD LSD, you'll see those flashes less. If you seldom see it, then you probably don't need the LSD
Old 08-27-03, 05:14 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO the LSD is a worthwhile mod without the TC, but I don't see the TC as a good mod without the LSD.
Old 08-28-03, 06:33 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

I, for one, wish that factory LSD were at least an option. Lexus VSC is far too aggressive in it's action imho, cutting power viciously in a circumstance when, almost by definition, you want a lot of it. So the GS bogs down tremendously rather than generate wheelspin via the open diff. I'd rather have a limited slip transfer power to the wheel with traction, thereby achieving continuous forward progress.................

Failing that, at least make the VSC more progressive in it's action and programming, a la Porsche, etc. On the other hand, it was pretty fun to leave a black Bridgestone stripe for more than a block when I was about to change out the godawful RE030s for my S-03s!!!
Old 09-18-03, 11:12 PM
garnet92
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Gotta disagree

Can’t go along with redgs4 on the TC alone. I’ve had the TC for almost a year without the LSD (it’s still sitting in the box my garage), and the TC alone has made my GS a lot more fun to drive. It’s been the best bang-for-buck mod I’ve made. Some day, when I can find someone to install the damn thing, I’ll get the LSD put on.

I think the LSD would still be a good mod alone - there've been times that I wished I had one - like last winter when we had that 1/2" snow blizzard.
Old 09-19-03, 12:30 AM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Gotta disagree

Originally posted by garnet92
Can’t go along with redgs4 on the TC alone. I’ve had the TC for almost a year without the LSD (it’s still sitting in the box my garage), and the TC alone has made my GS a lot more fun to drive. It’s been the best bang-for-buck mod I’ve made. Some day, when I can find someone to install the damn thing, I’ll get the LSD put on.

I think the LSD would still be a good mod alone - there've been times that I wished I had one - like last winter when we had that 1/2" snow blizzard.
Ok, I'll concede the point. But... It's soooooooo much better with an LSD. Get that thing out of your garage and into your car.
Old 09-19-03, 06:11 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,465 Likes on 1,617 Posts

The TRD LSD is a ***** to get installed, which is why I've now got a Supra Torsen one in my garage waiting to be installed.

As for the TC without the LSD - the TC is the best performance mod bang for the buck. Squeals of delight (and burning tire rubber).

LSD without TC? Much less valuable IMHO.
Old 09-26-03, 02:53 PM
oldguy
Driver

If it were not for rain or earth, gravel or sandy roads, I expect you Southerners have it right. I see a nice difference under those conditions, not to mention the snow I spend a few months with.
Many (most) up here in the north land have front drive or AWD. The LSD with good tires is not as good, but acceptable for my preferred rear drive.
Pretty sure I'd want LSD no matter where I lived and drove. And when I want to go really fast from a start, I'd rather be on my ST1300 Honda rather than have a TC in my Lexus.

Last edited by oldguy; 09-29-03 at 01:35 PM.
Old 09-26-03, 11:16 PM
Guru
Lead Lap

I have an ATS carbon LSD still sitting around. I can pull out the dif but I'd rather trust the instalation to a pro. I'll get to it next month perhaps.