Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1st Gen IS200 / More Power? All Options Available?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-20, 04:29 AM
andykao
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st Gen IS200 / More Power? All Options Available?

Classic story, looking to get more power out of my 1st gen IS200 1G-FE. The engine is in mint condition so i won't be doing a swap any time soon. New suspensions / brakes / bushings etc... Just want a bit more power. The exhaust is leaking and probably so is the manifold. I'll upgrade to a new catback exhaust as soon as spring comes and maybe a new exhaust manifold. So here's my dilemma, i have 3 options, don't know which one is the most cost efficient :
1) keep the car N/A - i read on some forum that TDI PLC got an is200 to around 200 BHP the N/A way. That thread degenerated, i'm not sure 100% sure this can be achieved, but if it can, i'm curious how. Let's say i do a full decat (precats and main cat) and also change my catback exhaust to something larger like 2.5 or 3" - how much power will that gain? also let's say i put in a better flowing air filter? these would be the cheap options (and the required ones, as i need a new exhaust and air filter). now for the more expensive options : stainless exhaust manifold (not sure what diameter are the pipes) and maybe porting the exhaust and/or intake side of the head - how much power would that gain? new cams would be expensive, so i'm not even thinking about this. What other N/A upgrades are there?
2) do what people do and bolt on a supercharger - i might be able to do this myself so costs won't be high. PROS : love the sound, it won't need a custom exhaust manifold. CONS : limited when it comes to boost, need different size sprocket and belt for adding more boost. With a SC, i'm planning to run around 0.6 bar with the stock(ish) engine (bigger injectors and piggyback ecu or FCD)
3) turbocharger ? PROS : same cost (for me) as the supercharger setup, more tunable, more potential power. CONS : new turbo manifold needed, extensive dyno tuning required.

I love the car, it's my current daily driver but being RWD and having decent suspension it could be more (i also have a 300 BHP saab - but that is FWD and crap when it comes to handling).
The point is, if i can reach around 200 bhp the N/A way (and also cheapish), i'd like to do this, 200 bhp for a daily is just what i need. If i can't get to that without forced induction, i'll bolt on a supercharger or turbo. Between the 2, my only dilemma is the power the engine can produce. I don't mind building the engine (pistons, rods, etc - not sure about the crankshaft, don't know how much the original one can handle) - if i can reach more power. So if the engine can reach high amounts of power and handle boost (1.0 - 1.3 bar), i will bolt on a turbo and build the engine. If not, a supercharger running at 0.5-0.7 bar max would be cheaper.

So what do you guys think?