Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Went to dealer again with IDLE problem, It stalled on me!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-03, 12:03 PM
MQM
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Went to dealer again with IDLE problem, It stalled on me!

My 98 GS400 with 34k miles was in service yesterday because the car stalled on me 3 times this weekend...When i was at a light their was that annoying vibration as usual then the car shut off but came back on by itself..The next 2 times i had to turn it back on and the check engine light came back on....This was very annoying and thank god it happend while i was almost at a stop not while driving about 30 mph...The dealer changed my fuel injector lines, they said their was a very bad carbon build-up....
and it was NOT covered on warranty for some odd reason??!...Anyways, the car doesnt stall but the vibration at idle is STILL there lol...Just thought id share this, and apperantly i was the 5th person to come in with the same problem this week..98 GS400
Old 09-03-03, 08:36 PM
Sleepyboi
Lead Lap

WOW ur 98 GS only has 34K miles on it?! my 01 GS has 35K miles on it already!

anyhow i've heard about this idle problem from others b4. It apparently happens to quite a bit of GS owners. And vibration at idle doesnt sound like a good thing either. i hope someone who has had this problem b4 will post something about their findings.

and i hope i dont run into this problem anytims soon (crosses fingers)
Old 09-03-03, 09:52 PM
koreanpers
Lexus Test Driver

we just got our gs4..and its a 98 with 33,100 miles
Old 09-03-03, 10:54 PM
Synergy
Northern California Regional Officer

Yep - there are TONS of us who have the "rough idle" problem. No real fix as of yet...do a search for "low" or "rough" idle and you will find a plethora of information...good luck!
Old 09-03-03, 11:45 PM
GSquicksilver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

anyway we can think of something to DEMAND lexus engineers to look into this? i've written to lexus corp about this before, brought my car to dealerships to check it out. nothing, just nothing. i got a call back from lexus corp saying "they will look into this problem" and no response after that. and the dealerships? they don't know how to fix it. all they say is that there is carbon buildup. BS. a little carbon buildup will not cause ur car to idle rough like this. my old 87 toyota cressida idles smoother at times.

but question to all: has anyone ever thought about the engine mounts? could that be the culprit? i know for sure that honda accords have had low idle/rough idle problems due to worn out engine mounts. but i don't think our cars should have their engine mounts worn out so quick.
Old 09-04-03, 01:16 PM
MQM
Driver

Originally posted by GSquicksilver
anyway we can think of something to DEMAND lexus engineers to look into this? i've written to lexus corp about this before, brought my car to dealerships to check it out. nothing, just nothing. i got a call back from lexus corp saying "they will look into this problem" and no response after that. and the dealerships? they don't know how to fix it. all they say is that there is carbon buildup. BS. a little carbon buildup will not cause ur car to idle rough like this. my old 87 toyota cressida idles smoother at times.

but question to all: has anyone ever thought about the engine mounts? could that be the culprit? i know for sure that honda accords have had low idle/rough idle problems due to worn out engine mounts. but i don't think our cars should have their engine mounts worn out so quick.
I guess its the price we pay for buying the car the first year it came out...People always say you should wait 1 year after a new model is released so that there arent any major probs....But i didnt expect this from LEXUS
Old 09-05-03, 12:48 PM
JYOO
Pole Position

Not covered on warranty????

How much did they charge you?
Old 09-05-03, 01:11 PM
MQM
Driver

Originally posted by JYOO
Not covered on warranty????

How much did they charge you?
$300, they said this isnt covered in warranty and made some excuse about it, but i wasnt in the mood to argue with them
Old 09-05-03, 09:33 PM
Synergy

You guys want a quick easy solution:

Drive with your headlights on

Seriously - no rough idle.
Old 09-06-03, 05:21 AM
MQM
Driver

Originally posted by Synergy
You guys want a quick easy solution:

Drive with your headlights on

Seriously - no rough idle.
I'll give it a try..thnks
Old 09-06-03, 04:13 PM
MQM
Driver

makes a big difference, no rough idle with my headlights on!
Old 09-06-03, 04:38 PM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

Originally posted by MQM
makes a big difference, no rough idle with my headlights on!
How do having the headlights on, solve the problem? hehe
Old 09-06-03, 05:41 PM
GSquicksilver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i know driving with headlights on, even with the first click, the rough idle is gone, but we shouldn't have to do this to enjoy a smoot ride. plus, people might think that we're stupid for driving in the daylight with our headlights on.
Old 09-06-03, 06:26 PM
Synergy

Originally posted by GSquicksilver
i know driving with headlights on, even with the first click, the rough idle is gone, but we shouldn't have to do this to enjoy a smoot ride. plus, people might think that we're stupid for driving in the daylight with our headlights on.
I agree - it's rediculous, but driving w/ the headlights on raises the endine idle rpm and it feels much better....i am thinking that the ac on also helps the idle too! How crazy is that? It's a Lexus, not a Toyota...or is it a Toyota?
Old 09-07-03, 09:58 AM
MQM
Driver

Yea, but even if the dealer doesnt know what to do then we are left with nothing...But for the time being, this is a good way to resolve it

Quick Reply: Went to dealer again with IDLE problem, It stalled on me!