Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Torque converter fitment issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-20, 05:53 AM
TrueGS300
Racer

Received 464 Likes on 378 Posts
Default Torque converter fitment issue

I have a "dragon" converter from PI I'm trying to fit to the 2jz. The bolt pattern is the same, but it doesn't fit. These are popular options for our cars and I spoke to a rep at great length before ordering the $900 thing. So pretty confused. The center locator snout is larger than the oem converter by a considerable amount. The flex plate bolts come into contact with the converter with a great deal of space between the bolt holes for the converter to flex plate. The was after I gave up fighting the trans to go in, and put the converter up to the engine alone. It definitely doesn't work.

Now something came to me this morning. I have to assume that PI probably only makes one TC shell for these cars (6 and 8 cyl) and it may fit with some ingenuity. The 2jz flexplate has a thick spacer that goes onto the crank before it. Maybe this ins't there on a 1UZ and that's how the deeper bell housing works and whatever else? If I remove it, I'm pretty sure the TC's snout will go deeper into the crank. But this would place the flex plate forward too and the starter would be in contact with the ring gear. Not to mention the flexplate bolts would still contact the converter the same unless I'm mistaken.

I haven't been able to contact PI yet, but I want to have all possibilities covered before I go the route of trying to get a refund for the converter. Any ideas?
Old 04-16-20, 07:41 AM
captainva
Instructor

Received 270 Likes on 236 Posts

I believe that the bell housing of a 1UZ is larger than the 2JZ so the converter is also larger. I have no experience installing these but if yours is for a 1UZ I think it would be obvious size wise compared to the stock converter because I know for a fact they are not interchangeable. This probably didn't help at all but hopefully it added something
Old 04-17-20, 05:24 AM
TrueGS300
Racer

Received 464 Likes on 378 Posts

I've pulled both transmissions and I do know the UZ has a larger, deeper bell housing. But when you buy an aftermarket converter, things kinda go out the window. The TC is meant to be a smaller diameter and is billet etc. So it looks too different to be either a 2jz or UZ TC. I'm e-mailing back and fourth with PI now. Still haven't come up with a solution yet.