Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

high performance air filter

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-03, 04:46 PM
LEXman13
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default high performance air filter

hey hey.

i would like put a high performance air filter into a stock 02 GS 430. (K&N maybe?)

what kind of pricing am i looking at?
and what kind of performance gains am i looking at?

how easy is the install?

thanks a ton!!
Old 09-08-03, 05:05 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

heres the deal

i had kn frpk (to me was crap , engine bogged down when got hot , sucking to much hot air)

had srt intake (to loud for my wiifes tatse and mine , power gains to me were very minamal)

ported my oem box , ran cool air from down at the black plastic piece next to the fog light and put in a toms high flow air filter..

NOW THIS SET UP WORKS THE BEST FOR ME .. i drive my car every day and i tend to engage pretty often in battle so any slight variation in power i notice right away.. with this set up (by the way with filter and misc items from club HOME DEPOT costing under $95) i see my car pulling harder from dead stop , because i am still using the oem airbox no heat issues , pulls extremely hard in the mid range , 40mph to 80 is instant andhigh end even stronger.. The toms filter is costly but it is 2 types of foam mat which uses no oils so no clogging of the maf sensor.. just wash out with soapy water and rinse and let dry ..

it really is high flow as compared to the paper element.. it pulls hard and works with no intake noise and no other modd but to port your airbox to ram abit more cooler denser air into it ..

hope some of this makes sense
Old 09-08-03, 05:35 PM
ChuH
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by lexforlife

i had kn frpk (to me was crap , engine bogged down when got hot , sucking to much hot air)
lexforlife:

LEXman13 is talking about the K&N drop-in filter and not the K&N FRPK (only for GS400).

LEXman13:

The K&N drop-in filter cost me about $35. Any HP gains is hard to notice without dyno. I guess about 1 to 3 HP. Throttle response is better. Many reason I got the K&N drop-in is that when it gets dirty I can simply wash it and reuse. OEM filter gets expensive when you have to throw it away when it gets dirty. I usually wash the filter every 10,000 miles.

Chu...

Last edited by ChuH; 09-08-03 at 05:38 PM.
Old 09-08-03, 05:54 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

lexman,, yeah i know exactly what he was talking about , i decided to give him abit more info in the event he was thinking about the other stuff for i have tried them as well

my friend had the kn drop in and it kept clogging up the MAF sensor from the oils used .. the toms uses no oils truly high flow filter and does the job well
Old 09-09-03, 07:55 AM
KVA
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

How about the Blitz drop-in filter...anyone tested that one out yet? I have heard good things...

and... there is always ProLex Performance (though they currently do not have a filter for the GS4xx, but it would fall somewhere between the K&N (uses filter oil) and Tom's (Multi-layered Foam)).

The PLP setup retains the stock air intake box, replaces the bent tubing from the box to the engine and replaces the air filter...looks like this in a GS300:

Last edited by KVA; 09-09-03 at 11:39 AM.