Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Lexus 8AR-FTS 2.0L turbo tuner is now available

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-20, 07:54 AM
BMGS
Racer

Received 549 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by d3Performance

Here is the dyno graph with the rev limiter set to 6500 RPMs. The transmission is set to shift around 6300 at WOT. The car stays in the power band much longer with this setup.
Thanks for posting this.

I still see the power and torque falling, why would I want to stay in the gear and ride it out for more rpms if there is less power than if I were in the next gear? Is the torque multiplication of being in a lower gear more beneficial than being in a higher gear with more engine output? I know its only a couple hundred rpms but curious on the logic here for my education.

Just ordered mine, can't wait to see what a real tune can do over the piggyback!
Old 10-20-20, 10:36 AM
BMGS
Racer

I got the NGauge in and loaded up the tune. It shipped same day and arrived two days later. The NGauge hardware itself is nice and thin. I don't have the intention of mounting it permanently but its a nice compact package for datalogging and reading data quickly. The touchscreen is responsive and its a fast little device.

I had a minor roadblock but it gave me the chance to experience the excellent customer service from D3. I have a GS200t and it had an older calibration that was not pre-installed on the NGauge.

I shot D3 and email in the morning and I received a quick response with the steps to take. I could have had a dealer update the calibration but D3 offered to add a tune using my existing calibration. I was given a link to use their proprietary software to download and send them my stock calibration for modification. This was done on a Friday and completed on a Saturday. The experience was very impressive and I am now sold on the excellent customer service that D3 offers.

The tune flashed in about two minutes with no issues. I took it for a quick drive and it feels great so far. The throttle enhancement is a huge improvement and it now feels more like my wife's NX200t in terms of responsiveness from that initial throttle stab. No more dead zone caused by throttle calibration. Boost comes on smooth and strong from the few chances I had to open up the throttle. It was definitely hitting the advertised +4 psi and holding more psi than the JB4 at the end of the rpm range. I will datalog to see exactly what its hitting. I started with the stock shift point tune but will try out the higher rev limit eventually.

Versus the BMS JB4 its also delivering more boost in the mid-range rpms. Its great to see the real boost figure on the stock gauge. I am not racing the car, just daily driving it to work on suburban roads. That makes it perfect for this engine versus a NA V6. With this tune and my uses of the car, I feel like its actually an upgrade over the V6 since its delivering a lot more low end torque. I plan on adding water injection once my warranty is up and I am looking forward to further tweaking the tune for that mod.

Last edited by BMGS; 10-20-20 at 10:40 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by BMGS:
d3Performance (10-20-20), m0chafrap (10-21-20)
Old 10-20-20, 10:53 AM
m1919
Intermediate

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by BMGS
I got the NGauge in and loaded up the tune. It shipped same day and arrived two days later. The NGauge hardware itself is nice and thin. I don't have the intention of mounting it permanently but its a nice compact package for datalogging and reading data quickly. The touchscreen is responsive and its a fast little device.

I had a minor roadblock but it gave me the chance to experience the excellent customer service from D3. I have a GS200t and it had an older calibration that was not pre-installed on the NGauge.

I shot D3 and email in the morning and I received a quick response with the steps to take. I could have had a dealer update the calibration but D3 offered to add a tune using my existing calibration. I was given a link to use their proprietary software to download and send them my stock calibration for modification. This was done on a Friday and completed on a Saturday. The experience was very impressive and I am now sold on the excellent customer service that D3 offers.

The tune flashed in about two minutes with no issues. I took it for a quick drive and it feels great so far. The throttle enhancement is a huge improvement and it now feels more like my wife's NX200t in terms of responsiveness from that initial throttle stab. No more dead zone caused by throttle calibration. Boost comes on smooth and strong from the few chances I had to open up the throttle. It was definitely hitting the advertised +4 psi and holding more psi than the JB4 at the end of the rpm range. I will datalog to see exactly what its hitting. I started with the stock shift point tune but will try out the higher rev limit eventually.

Versus the BMS JB4 its also delivering more boost in the mid-range rpms. Its great to see the real boost figure on the stock gauge. I am not racing the car, just daily driving it to work on suburban roads. That makes it perfect for this engine versus a NA V6. With this tune and my uses of the car, I feel like its actually an upgrade over the V6 since its delivering a lot more low end torque. I plan on adding water injection once my warranty is up and I am looking forward to further tweaking the tune for that mod.
Extremely interested in your experience longer term with this. Any concerns running the additional boost on the stock charge pipe, being plastic? I'm mainly looking for the same improvements in daily drivability, but I do have some concern about the charge pipe being able to handle the additional boost.
Old 10-20-20, 11:18 AM
BMGS
Racer

Originally Posted by m1919
Extremely interested in your experience longer term with this. Any concerns running the additional boost on the stock charge pipe, being plastic? I'm mainly looking for the same improvements in daily drivability, but I do have some concern about the charge pipe being able to handle the additional boost.
From what I had researched, +4psi was a safe bet for all of the stock components. Have there been any failures you have come across?
Old 10-20-20, 12:17 PM
Viol8r
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been using the D3 performance tune for a while now. My car is typically driven on the highway. I can say that the tune has made a noticeable difference on how the car drives. The throttle is more responsive and I have more power on the highway. The boost is definitely higher as compared to stock. I have had no problems with the car since the tune has been installed. I would say that the tune has had the biggest performance increase I have done. It is something I would recommend.
The following users liked this post:
d3Performance (10-20-20)
Old 10-20-20, 01:13 PM
m1919
Intermediate

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

From what I had researched, +4psi was a safe bet for all of the stock components. Have there been any failures you have come across?
Not that I'm aware, but it's been a while since I read through the 220+ pages of the original IS200T performance thread.
Old 10-20-20, 02:23 PM
DarthLex
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you have pics/vids of the boost gauge reflecting the boost figures?
Old 10-21-20, 02:42 AM
BMGS
Racer

Originally Posted by DarthLex
Do you have pics/vids of the boost gauge reflecting the boost figures?
I can try to log the next time I drive the car. Not a fan of holding a phone while driving let alone accelerating at WOT. The factory boost gauge wont give much info either way since it's not marked well.
Old 10-21-20, 06:47 AM
DarthLex
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I can try to log the next time I drive the car. Not a fan of holding a phone while driving let alone accelerating at WOT. The factory boost gauge wont give much info either way since it's not marked well.
lol understood. “Everyone else does it” lol. Safety first though if you can’t do it not to major. With this new tune and other possible tunes plus hybrid turbos may be time to consider aftermarket gauges anyways.
Old 10-21-20, 08:08 AM
BMGS
Racer

Originally Posted by DarthLex
lol understood. “Everyone else does it” lol. Safety first though if you can’t do it not to major. With this new tune and other possible tunes plus hybrid turbos may be time to consider aftermarket gauges anyways.
I'll see if I can find a hands-free way. Its not like the car is that fast but I still like safety first. I rarely drive the car other than for work so I am always driving in traffic.

The N-Gauge should be fine for reading boost as an aftermarket gauge. I don't personally like anything aftermarket mounted in the interior but it does come with a couple of mounting solutions to use the gauge readout.

I can also use the BMS JB4 while I still have it. One of my favorite things I'll miss on the JB4 is the bluetooth connectivity that wirelessly shows the virtual gauges on the phone app, one of them being boost. I then screen mirror those gauges to the OEM infotainment screen. Now that I think of it, I probably can do the same with a wireless OBD-II reader and the Torque app (or something similar).

Last edited by BMGS; 10-21-20 at 08:12 AM.
The following users liked this post:
DarthLex (10-21-20)
Old 10-21-20, 01:43 PM
paulmantis
Rookie

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Default D3 vs. OV

I would really be interested to see how it compares to the tune from Orange Virus. I have the OV tune, and it's definitely made my car faster and more fun to drive, but it still has pretty strong lag until the turbo kicks in. This tune has some sort of throttle enhancement that mitigates that issue?
The following 2 users liked this post by paulmantis:
milimart (10-21-20), Minitech (11-08-20)
Old 10-22-20, 12:46 PM
Theyiqin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by paulmantis
I would really be interested to see how it compares to the tune from Orange Virus. I have the OV tune, and it's definitely made my car faster and more fun to drive, but it still has pretty strong lag until the turbo kicks in. This tune has some sort of throttle enhancement that mitigates that issue?
Same here I want to know also
Old 10-23-20, 06:58 AM
BMGS
Racer

Originally Posted by paulmantis
I drove the car again and put it in sport mode this time. Wow what a difference. There must be something more aggressive with the throttle mapping, or maybe just the factory sport vs. normal mapping is amplifying the tune. Combined with the transmission holding a lower gear its a huge difference. The throttle boost gets it off the line much more quickly and by the nature of physics there is a tiny bit of lag but not much to ever bother me.

I can't compare to the OV tune directly but one of the reasons I chose D3 was the option to log, email and easily customize the tune. Not sure if its the same process with the OV tune.

Last edited by BMGS; 10-23-20 at 10:58 AM.
Old 10-23-20, 07:25 AM
NikNikNik
Pole Position

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

If you are enhanced throttle tune, it turns stock sport throttle into normal mode and when you change to sport it gives you crazy high throttle response. I’m loving my tune currently, and the support form D3 is amazing
Old 10-23-20, 07:58 AM
paulmantis
Rookie

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

I drove the car again and put it in sport mode this time. Wow what a difference. There must be something more aggressive with the throttle mapping, or maybe just the factory sport vs. normal mapping is amplifying the tune. Combined with the transmission holding a lower gear its a huge difference. The throttle boost gets it off the line much more quickly and by the nature of physics there is a tiny big of lag but not much to ever bother me.

I can't compare to the OV tune directly but one of the reasons I chose D3 was the option to log, email and easily customize the tune. Not sure if its the same process with the OV tune.
The process with the OV tune is just that they ignore you and no longer support the tune you spent $600 on.
The following 2 users liked this post by paulmantis:
Minitech (11-05-20), tnilc (03-08-21)

Quick Reply: Lexus 8AR-FTS 2.0L turbo tuner is now available