Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Transmission Slow Lazy Shifting

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-20, 12:17 PM
Ken167
Instructor

Received 118 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Transmission Slow Lazy Shifting

I posted this in the regular threads but should have been here:

Maybe its always been this way and Im just now paying attention--when the trans upshifts its not a quick sharp shift to the next gear but rather a slow rollover to he next gear taking a sec or 2.

Still drives normal and no slipping. Maybe its just age, old design, and 214,000 miles.

Please advise!
Old 10-29-20, 12:31 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 774 Likes on 676 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken167

Maybe its always been this way and Im just now paying attention--when the trans upshifts its not a quick sharp shift to the next gear but rather a slow rollover to he next gear taking a sec or 2.

Still drives normal and no slipping. Maybe its just age, old design, and 214,000 miles.

Please advise!
Have you tried resetting the ECU, and ECT? I'd give it a try to see if shifts any better afterwards. Fuse method is easier for this.

https://www.clublexus.com/how-tos/a/...our-ecu-363500

Old 10-30-20, 04:00 PM
Ken167
Instructor

Originally Posted by MikeFig82
Have you tried resetting the ECU, and ECT? I'd give it a try to see if shifts any better afterwards. Fuse method is easier for this.

https://www.clublexus.com/how-tos/a/...our-ecu-363500
I have not tried that but will. I think its just getting worn at 214000 miles.
Old 10-31-20, 10:49 PM
Dealarr
Driver

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Please advise!

Have you changed your transmission fluid? It will be squid ink black and smell like burnt metallic juice if you've never changed it.
Old 11-01-20, 12:32 PM
Ken167
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dealarr
Have you changed your transmission fluid? It will be squid ink black and smell like burnt metallic juice if you've never changed it.
The trans gasket was replaced 4 mos ago and they refilled the trans fluid
Old 11-01-20, 05:43 PM
Dealarr
Driver

The trans gasket was replaced 4 mos ago and they refilled the trans fluid
If they took off the gasket, they would have taken off the pan. That means the car was off. If they just refilled till the drain plug leaks while the car is OFF, you will be short of fluid that is why your trans is not shifting properly. You can check by lifting up the car on level ground(always use jack stands, and use spirit level on underside of tranny box to get level) and make sure its level while the car reach operating temp, and unscrew the drain plug off very slowly, and if liquid seeps out (with screw still in hole but not in thread) then immediately tighten it back ( Use your hand with thick dish washing gloves, don't use power/air tools, might cut threads). If there is no leak then you are short of fluid so they did not refill your tranny properly.

The way to refill the tranny is, car level and off the ground, car is running and in P so the transmission is actually circulating fluid. You add fluid while it's circulating until drain plug leaks then you stop. You go plug the drain plug up. Refill a little bit more say 200ml. Then you go back to drain plug while car is at operating temp, on and in Park. Let it out until it trickles then tighten. That is the correct level for your transmission.

Full transmission fluid change it is just the above and adding fluid until what comes out is no more black but clear pink, this will use many bottles ( I used Penrite ATF LV (WS compatible)) . But you will shift like you have a CVT

Last edited by Dealarr; 02-08-21 at 12:05 PM. Reason: For full transmission fluid change:
Old 11-02-20, 09:50 AM
Ken167
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dealarr
If they took off the gasket, they would have taken off the pan. That means the car was off. If they just refilled till the drain plug leaks while the car is OFF, you will be short of fluid that is why your trans is not shifting properly. You can check by lifting up the car on level ground(always use jack stands, and use spirit level on underside of tranny box to get level) and make sure its level while the car reach operating temp, and unscrew the drain plug off very slowly, and if liquid seeps out (with screw still in hole but not in thread) then immediately tighten it back ( Use your hand with thick dish washing gloves, don't use power/air tools, might cut threads). If there is no leak then you are short of fluid so they did not refill your tranny properly.

The way to refill the tranny is, car level and off the ground, car is running and in P so the transmission is actually circulating fluid. You add fluid while it's circulating until drain plug leaks then you stop. You go plug the drain plug up. Refill a little bit more say 200ml. Then you go back to drain plug while car is at operating temp, on and in Park. Let it out until it trickles then tighten. That is the correct level for your transmission.

Full transmission fluid change it is just the above and adding fluid until what comes out is no more black but clear pink, this will use many bottles ( I used Penrite ATF LV (WS compatible)) . But you will shift like you have a CVT
I had the gasket done at a Toyota dealer they said they filled it correctly but I will go back have them check it
Old 11-02-20, 10:15 AM
Dealarr
Driver

I had the gasket done at a Toyota dealer they said they filled it correctly but I will go back have them check it

That was what I was trying to get you to avoid, Ive had dodgy dealer's pulled off sensor switches on my oil level near the drain pain, numerous things dealership/dealers mess with. Do you not have any other mechanics you trust or friends that are mechanics if you rather not do it yourself?

Last edited by Dealarr; 11-02-20 at 10:25 AM.
Old 11-02-20, 12:30 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,536 Likes on 1,278 Posts

FWIW: When checking overflow temp of fluid the book says 100°F Trans temp not full operating temp. At full operating temp would leave the fluid level too low which would be bad. Fluid expands with heat and 15min of operation consistently places mine in the 160 180° range.

I'd suggest an OBD Bluetooth reader and OBD Fusion app with Toyota PID add on pack and you can monitor the temp with your Smartypants phone...

As can be seen here, even on a cold day the trans gets to engine temp pretty quick.

Old 11-02-20, 12:43 PM
Dealarr
Driver

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
FWIW: When checking overflow temp of fluid the book says 100°F Trans temp not full operating temp. At full operating temp would leave the fluid level too low which would be bad. Fluid expands with heat and 15min of operation consistently places mine in the 160 180° range.

I'd suggest an OBD Bluetooth reader and OBD Fusion app with Toyota PID add on pack and you can monitor the temp with your Smartypants phone...

As can be seen here, even on a cold day the trans gets to engine temp pretty quick.
May i just take the opportunity to introduce to you that sometimes, companies sets up strategies to bring you back to the dealership so they can get more of what you paid for your car?

Is that a reality possible to visualise? Or do you believe every big company is naive, hardworking, and honest. We'd be in a different world by then. Do you work for Lexus brother?
Old 11-02-20, 02:22 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

No need to make it personal. I'm saying, the documented literature says 100°F +/-10. If someone does this on an At Temp Trans, it will be low! So, the advice given will have dire consequences.

6 years rebuilding transmissions at an Indy. Nothing to do with Lexus other than follow the procedure or burn up your transmission.
Recap - your advice is wrong!
Old 11-02-20, 02:26 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

PS - my advice was to get the app for $15. Perhaps there was some thread mixing on your part? I never mentioned take it to Lexus.
Old 11-02-20, 02:29 PM
Dealarr
Driver

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
No need to make it personal. I'm saying, the documented literature says 100°F +/-10. If someone does this on an At Temp Trans, it will be low! So, the advice given will have dire consequences.

6 years rebuilding transmissions at an Indy. Nothing to do with Lexus other than follow the procedure or burn up your transmission.
Recap - your advice is wrong!
Brother im not making it personal im saying we must know that companies especially big companies, smaller companies they still care sometimes, and have morals. But big companies, they are all about cut throat profits, therefore there are certain things they do. I have worked at a Lexus dealership and when that is what you see, what else can you think? They are not there to serve us they are there to make as much money as possible.

The reason why i dont go by that book is because yes, it is lower than operating temperature, which means by normal operating temperature, the liquid would have expanded more meaning it is more pressurised now. Basically meaning "more" fluid. If the time we spend in the car are mostly in the operating temperature area, wouldn't then we be always a little over pressured? That is why i leak it at operating temp, because that is the time where the car is spent driving most so there are no increased pressure.
Old 11-24-20, 03:50 PM
Ken167
Instructor

I took my car today to Tustin Toyota. The tech said the trans fluid level is ok, but found code P0761--trans solenoid C. I called a few trans shops some say just replace the solenoid or valve body, one place tried to upsell me a new trans for $4000 I said F that!

Either way Im seeing an expensive repair!
Old 02-12-21, 03:44 PM
Ken167
Instructor

Yesterday got my car back from my master tech friend he did a cash side job for me put in used trans 78k miles $800 for trans, $400 install--new trans is great no more slipping, car has new life!!!
The following users liked this post:
primavera (02-12-21)

Quick Reply: Transmission Slow Lazy Shifting