Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Taking the 2gr-fse to new heights

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-21 | 02:59 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Ultra4
Not really busy so much as literally tripping over cylinder heads while making attempt #237,754 to not have my garage look like a dragon's hoard

...I need a friggin life coach or something...
God, my wife would throw me out on the sidewalk if I did that to "her garage". Although I paid for it...
Old 03-31-21 | 04:53 PM
00goobs
Intermediate

Send me a set of heads to clear up space. I'll polish them up and test them on my car. For science and to contribute to the 2IS community. ...

Also, ordered one of the few custom tuning solutions for my 13GS. E85 tuning next....
Old 03-31-21 | 05:02 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MikeFig82
Have you guys tried to PM DaveGS4? It think he's the founder.
I did/have... thanks though.
Old 03-31-21 | 07:12 PM
Ultra4
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 00goobs
Send me a set of heads to clear up space. I'll polish them up and test them on my car. For science and to contribute to the 2IS community. ...
Whole reason I have that pile is to port and polish them to auction off on a site I won't mention because it's awful close to the lines of forum rules and advertising. Wife wants me to make back some of the investment I've already sawz-all'd up (to be melted down and cast for other esoteric projects--that are not free), and I want a larger sample size than just one engine, because I'm definitely going up in displacement on this car, but the 2.5L stands to gain the most from having intake bowls--at least, in my opinion--like a superbike engine. Might make that ACIS flap help from actual acoustics, instead of vac signals...only way to know is to find out

Whole reason that pile is stationary and I'm not further destroying my wife's poor Lifetime table while waiting for the snow to melt is related to why that floor is only half polycuramine treated. I really don't have any kind of system going on in there. Friggin 26'x26' all to myself and I'm losing toenails like a moron...

Spoiler

I REALLY gotta get my own thread...

Old 03-31-21 | 09:44 PM
00goobs
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Ultra4
Whole reason I have that pile is to port and polish them to auction off on a site I won't mention because it's awful close to the lines of forum rules and advertising. Wife wants me to make back some of the investment I've already sawz-all'd up (to be melted down and cast for other esoteric projects--that are not free), and I want a larger sample size than just one engine, because I'm definitely going up in displacement on this car, but the 2.5L stands to gain the most from having intake bowls--at least, in my opinion--like a superbike engine. Might make that ACIS flap help from actual acoustics, instead of vac signals...only way to know is to find out

Whole reason that pile is stationary and I'm not further destroying my wife's poor Lifetime table while waiting for the snow to melt is related to why that floor is only half polycuramine treated. I really don't have any kind of system going on in there. Friggin 26'x26' all to myself and I'm losing toenails like a moron...

Spoiler

I REALLY gotta get my own thread...
Start a thread, we will follow and chime in.
Funny you mention acoustics, I read a paper that monitored map sensors and logged them on oscilloscopes in reference to rpm and cylinder #1 ignition to show the cancelation and multiplication of pressure waves from valve events, runner length and plenum volume.... I base my intake manifold runner lengths on mostly math, function and form.
Old 04-05-21 | 07:45 AM
redspencer
OG Member

4GS owners: If you want a Performance sub-forum in the 4GS section, make your voices heard here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...l#post11026706
Old 04-10-21 | 06:43 PM
00goobs
Intermediate

Originally Posted by redspencer
4GS owners: If you want a Performance sub-forum in the 4GS section, make your voices heard here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...l#post11026706
4GS owners don't like performance. Sometimes I think they forgot they bought a luxury Sports Sedan. Hehehe, just kidding.....
Old 04-10-21 | 06:44 PM
00goobs
Intermediate

Testing the new upper.....

Last edited by 00goobs; 04-12-21 at 03:55 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 00goobs:
4GS350 (08-21-23), Polo2is350 (06-19-21)
Old 04-16-21 | 11:29 PM
Thannp
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by 00goobs
Testing the new upper.....

How did you find the result? any gain?
Old 04-17-21 | 03:56 AM
00goobs
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Thannp
How did you find the result? any gain?
Not yet. It runs lean whenever I accelerate according to the "torque app" monitoring and I get lean codes from time to time. I am still waiting on the software to tune so I could get rid of the stock airbox and have a 3.5" intake tube and MAF mount.

In theory, it should be a 5500 rpm-ish and up power band NA, but I don't plan on NA if I get the software to tune the stock computer. I do have a "Map-ECU 3" piggyback if all else fails and the software I paid for doesn't support my poor 2013 GS.

The next one will be smoother..... The TB mount was an afterthought....

Last edited by 00goobs; 04-17-21 at 08:40 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 00goobs:
2013FSport (04-17-21), redspencer (04-23-21)
Old 04-22-21 | 01:11 AM
DickH
Intermediate

I too tried that throttle body and I had drivability issues. I ended up having a stock throttle body ported and it works fine. I believe the stock throttle body can be opened up to 75/76mm but I went with 74mm as that's about as far as the stock upper can be opened up to.

I have been too busy to dig into why my throttle body hasn't been opening up completely, but here is a log which suggests that the larger throttle body might not gain much over a ported stock throttle body. Throttle position used to read 80something at WOT but now won't go into the 70s. Even while opening less my maf values are up some since cleaning up my upper manifold.

Old 04-22-21 | 07:49 AM
00goobs
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DickH
I too tried that throttle body and I had drivability issues. I ended up having a stock throttle body ported and it works fine. I believe the stock throttle body can be opened up to 75/76mm but I went with 74mm as that's about as far as the stock upper can be opened up to.

I have been too busy to dig into why my throttle body hasn't been opening up completely, but here is a log which suggests that the larger throttle body might not gain much over a ported stock throttle body. Throttle position used to read 80something at WOT but now won't go into the 70s. Even while opening less my maf values are up some since cleaning up my upper manifold.

Awesome, I noticed on my logs with the Tundra TB it shows 50 something on the TB opening before shifting. Almost seems like it only allows so much airflow then limits via TB opening.

I finally got an RR Racing tune I bought used a year ago to work on my car. That 7200rpm shift keeps it in my intake's intended power band.

So happy there's currently 3 other people messing with the 2GR here. Hehehe kidding

Last edited by 00goobs; 04-22-21 at 08:32 AM.
Old 04-23-21 | 03:19 AM
DickH
Intermediate

Have a log of the original intake setup? What all do you have done to the car? Your maf values seem lower than expected and it looks like your throttle body might be hurting you.
Old 04-23-21 | 06:36 AM
00goobs
Intermediate

Have a log of the original intake setup? What all do you have done to the car? Your maf values seem lower than expected and it looks like your throttle body might be hurting you.
The old data didn't have the throttle body opening logged. I actually got more a few times with the stock set up and my air scoopers.

So with the shorter runners and the Tundra TB larger intake tube and stock maf housing/ air box, the TB seems like it is limiting air intake.

Also this data log is with the RR tune on and the 3rd gear 7200 shift is helpful.....

Still need a diy tuning solution. The TB limiting scenario is concerning.
Old 04-23-21 | 06:38 AM
00goobs
Intermediate

I can and may completely return my intake set up to stock just for comparison.

Last edited by 00goobs; 04-23-21 at 06:44 AM.

Quick Reply: Taking the 2gr-fse to new heights