Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

New - First Time Modding

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-20, 11:30 PM
Dasmodai
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New - First Time Modding

So I recently got a great deal on a 2018 Lexus IS 300 RWD. It's a 2.0-liter twin-scroll Turbocharged Inline 4-cylinder. It had about 20k miles, clean title, no accidents or anything for 10k and it's a car I'm planning on keeping for however long I can as I'm only 18. However I was interested in what mods I could do to it. I plan on getting new tires and wheels, along with a new exhaust and air suspensions plus a Red Carbon Fiber steering from RR Racing wheel for aesthetic performances. However is there anything I can do to my car for performance wise that will give me noticeable or worthwhile gains. I've looked into exhaust headers but I couldn't find any compatible with my model from OBX, Megan Racing and nothing from Toyomoto. I hear cold air intakes are mostly useless on more up to date cars. So the only real performance things I've seen is installing a HPS Silicone POST MAF Air intake hose kit and a drop in air filter. Thanks for your help.
Old 11-12-20, 01:53 AM
BMGS
Racer

Received 549 Likes on 338 Posts

Congrats on the new car! On a turbocharged car, the mod with the biggest impact will be a tuner that can raise the factory boost a safe amount. I've been modding turbo cars for decades and never had any issues with a minor bump in boost.

Look into the BMS JB4 piggyback tuner. It offers a nice improvement in power (about 45hp and tq) from about +4 psi of boost. It's all controlled wirelessly through your phone. The boost increase is adjustable so you can add more boost as more supporting mods are installed.

I have one for sale that's practically new but much cheaper:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/market/955327

I see that you are located in CA where these tuners are not even possible to buy new.

Its easily removable and undetectable for warranty purposes.

Last edited by BMGS; 11-12-20 at 02:00 AM.
Old 11-18-20, 05:42 AM
ThomasDiSa
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great car, for two years of ownership nothing broke, only consumables. control at height, very intuitive and assembled suspension, at high speeds you can make sharp maneuvers, do not develop the atmosphere 2JZ chic, I don’t understand why the Japanese could not put such brakes on the Lexus GS class (160) ... if the car will only bring good emotions !
there are crickets in the cabin, let's write it off on a stiff suspension (although on vegetable Honda and Subaru the priest is much more suffering