Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SAFCII or GREDDY EMANAGE

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-03, 01:10 PM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Guru
No issues with it at all. In fact I posted the wiring diagram for the GS400. Make sure to set the cylinders for 4 not 8 is all. Tune carefullly. Remember the car is PERFECTLY tuned from the factory so just take your AF measurements and follow that ratio all the way across. I think it was around 13:1 but I have to go back and load up the charts on my dyno to make sure. If your car is modified already keep an ear out for detonation. If modified you'll probably add some fuel in the midrange and take a bit out at the very top.
You mean set it to 8 NOT 4, right?

I would love to see the wiring diagram for the 400. That way when I hook it up, I'll have something to follow besides the book that APEX sends with the AFC.

BrokeGS: I would love to see the pics of the AFC too.
Old 09-24-03, 06:00 PM
Guru
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

YOu know we have a great search function above. It would REALLY save you some time.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...highlight=safc

THat;s the diagram and set the cylinders to 4 not 8. Trust me.
Old 09-24-03, 06:07 PM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

YOu know we have a great search function above. It would REALLY save you some time.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...highlight=safc

THat;s the diagram and set the cylinders to 4 not 8. Trust me.
You da man!!!

It just doesn't work on 8 cyl setting? Which knock sensor wire did you decide to tap into after all?
Old 09-24-03, 08:06 PM
Guru
Lead Lap

Use 4 cylinder setting. I tapped into Knock sensor #1 but it doesn't really matter.
Old 09-25-03, 07:10 AM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

Use 4 cylinder setting. I tapped into Knock sensor #1 but it doesn't really matter.
Cool, thanks. I'll do that.

You wouldn't happen to have a pic of your install would you? As in where'd you put it?

How does your graph look after tuning? I suspect that I have an idea, but just wondering.
Old 09-25-03, 01:25 PM
Guru
Lead Lap

Depends on what mods you have on the car. If you have an intake you for sure have to add fuel at the bottom end and midrange. Remember this car is tuned PERFECTLY from the factory. You'll have to take out a little fuel up top. Keep an ear out for detonation. It's easy to make this car knock even with just an intake.
Old 09-25-03, 08:56 PM
NoRyceGS4
Lexus Test Driver

what is happening when detonation / knock occurs?
Old 09-26-03, 07:03 AM
Guru
Lead Lap

If you have to ask that question definately have a tuner tune the car for you. It will be safer.
Old 09-26-03, 07:47 AM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by NoRyceGS4
what is happening when detonation / knock occurs?
There are a couple of different causes of "knocking". Low octane gas, heavy load, incorrect ignition timing, cylinder temperature, etc. When the engine knocks it is usually due to the mixture of gas/air being compressed pre-ignites. In other words, it explodes at the wrong time in the cycle. If the piston is on the way up compressing the mix and before it reaches the top, i.e. full compression, it is ignited....knocking. Lower octane gas has, I believe I read somewhere, a lower "flash" point than higher octane gas. So lower octane gas is more prone to knocking because the higher cylinder temps would make that mixture easier to detonate early, i.e. at the wrong time.

It's basically the engine not being as efficient as it should be. The danger of knocking while under boost is pretty obvious. If you start knocking while under boost, the additional exponentially higher cylinder pressures that make power can also break car parts like rods/pistons. If you are running any kind of boost, even nitrous, and you explode the mix (which will make the piston wanna go back down) while the piston is trying to push up......this is how we get a "thrown rod thru the block" scenario. This is why in older cars, people used to "retard" the ignition timing when running nitrous/boost to avoid detonation. Another way is to use very high octane race gas.

In our cars, the ecu (via readings from several sensors including the knock sensor) controls ignition timing. If it senses knocking, it will retard the ignition until the knocking stops. Unless you re-map the ecu, there is no way to externally control timing in our cars. Therefore, it is very important that when you are boosting and trying to make the ecu do the things YOU want it to do instead of stock....you stay away from knocking. Hence, the AFCII's ability to warn you when knocking occurs and thereby giving you the chance to either re-program less aggressive a fuel curve or shut down and find the problem BEFORE you blow something thru your hood.

I could go on and on, but I think you get the pic.
Old 09-26-03, 08:45 AM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

No issues with it at all. In fact I posted the wiring diagram for the GS400. Make sure to set the cylinders for 4 not 8 is all. Tune carefullly. Remember the car is PERFECTLY tuned from the factory so just take your AF measurements and follow that ratio all the way across. I think it was around 13:1 but I have to go back and load up the charts on my dyno to make sure. If your car is modified already keep an ear out for detonation. If modified you'll probably add some fuel in the midrange and take a bit out at the very top.
Just stumbled on this thread and I've got a couple of comments, FWIW.

*I* would run a bit richer than 13.1 in a boosted scenario perhaps closer to 12.5.

Depending on how your car shifts and/or how often you intend to hit the rev limiter under boost I would *add* fuel on the top end.

Obviously this all depends on how your fuel curve looks right now.
Old 09-26-03, 02:04 PM
Guru
Lead Lap

If you're running boost I'd probably never run leaner tha 12:1. On some WRX's I run them as rich as 10.8:1 depending on turbo sizing and other factors. If you have water injection or race fuel it's a different story.