Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Megan racing strut bar for 14 + is 250

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-21, 02:05 PM
Jflex15
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Megan racing strut bar for 14 + is 250

I’m interested in getting a strut tower bar for my 15 is250 f sport. Looking on their website they don’t have a listing past 2013 models but I’ve seen pictures of them on 14+ models. I’m curious if anyone has modified one to work on the newer 250s. I’m aware from reading many post here that strut bars don’t offer much performance on these vehicles but I would still like to add this along with a few more bolt ons to my car.
Old 01-14-21, 06:17 PM
Cossh014
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 2015 is350 f sport.
I know these are two different engines but I did purchase and install the megan strut tower brace a couple months ago and it fit perfectly fine. IF I did have to make any modifications, it was just inverting the brackets. As in I took the brackets off the bar and turned them around. I honestly can't remember if this is actually what I had to do or not. The bar does clear the engine cover with a good 1/4-1/2" space, no rubbing!
The only definite thing is the black caps over top of your AVS module attached to the struts will NOT fit back on without serious modification.
I too bought the bar knowing it wont do anything. But hey it was cheap and dresses up the bay a little bit. Next step is to paint match the f sport color and paint the mounting brackets.

Last edited by Cossh014; 01-14-21 at 06:20 PM.
Old 01-15-21, 01:15 AM
Jflex15
Driver

Ok awesome that pretty much answers my main question, thank you. When I emailed them they told me they didn’t offer one for our year. It looked like the engine bay was pretty similar to the 2015 model though. I’m extremely new to this car ( only had it since August) so I’m not familiar with part interchangeable with the years. Also these AVS covers I keep hearing people mention, I don’t think I have those on my strut tower. And just to verify this Is the same bar you have? https://meganracing.com//mr-sb-li06fu-1p
Old 01-15-21, 09:29 PM
Cossh014
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yea I did a ton of research before I purchased to make sure it COULD fit, glad it does!
Since you bought yours used I wouldn't be surprised if the previous owner or shop forgot to reinstall after doing a repair/maintenance.
They're very hard to miss, they look like black cones with black bolts on top of the strut tower, your AVS wouldn't be visible if they're on there.

And yes! That's the exact one I bought.

Edit: I just noticed the price on that link, make sure you shop around, I got mine for a good 20-30$ less shipped to my door on Ebay.
Old 01-17-21, 08:00 PM
Jflex15
Driver

Originally Posted by Cossh014
Yea I did a ton of research before I purchased to make sure it COULD fit, glad it does!
Since you bought yours used I wouldn't be surprised if the previous owner or shop forgot to reinstall after doing a repair/maintenance.
They're very hard to miss, they look like black cones with black bolts on top of the strut tower, your AVS wouldn't be visible if they're on there.

And yes! That's the exact one I bought.

Edit: I just noticed the price on that link, make sure you shop around, I got mine for a good 20-30$ less shipped to my door on Ebay.
okay thanks for answering my question man. Removing the covers won’t make any difference for me since mine are already missing.
Old 01-18-21, 09:39 AM
Tungstn-IS
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

I can't comment on the bar, but to clarify, the 250 doesn't come with AVS.
Old 01-19-21, 08:34 PM
Jflex15
Driver

Originally Posted by Tungstn-IS
I can't comment on the bar, but to clarify, the 250 doesn't come with AVS.
ok thanks for the info. What exactly does the AVS do? I imagine something the higher end cars have to increase handling performance? I’m pretty new to these cars and still have a lot I’d like to learn. I’ve pretty much been a camaro/Chevy guy since I was 15 so Lexus IS is a big difference 😅.
Old 01-22-21, 09:08 AM
Cuda67
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks pretty good
Old 01-22-21, 11:18 AM
Tungstn-IS
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Jflex15
ok thanks for the info. What exactly does the AVS do? I imagine something the higher end cars have to increase handling performance? I’m pretty new to these cars and still have a lot I’d like to learn. I’ve pretty much been a camaro/Chevy guy since I was 15 so Lexus IS is a big difference 😅.
Essentially, yes. AVS stands for active variable suspension and I believe is only available on the 350 F-Sport (for the IS anyway). It just automatically adjusts the dampers to to firmer settings in Sport+ mode to improve handling.

The covers referred to earlier in this thread just cover the motors that sit on top of the dampers and adjust the damper settings.
Old 01-22-21, 12:55 PM
ChineseKFC
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I have that exact one for my 2015 is250, i ordered mine off amazon. I do remember having the rotate the middle bar 180 degree for the install to look flush, the way that it came was tilting about 45 degrees down towards the engine bay.

Old 01-24-21, 02:57 AM
Jflex15
Driver

Originally Posted by Tungstn-IS
Essentially, yes. AVS stands for active variable suspension and I believe is only available on the 350 F-Sport (for the IS anyway). It just automatically adjusts the dampers to to firmer settings in Sport+ mode to improve handling.

The covers referred to earlier in this thread just cover the motors that sit on top of the dampers and adjust the damper settings.
awesome thanks for clarifying that for me.
Old 01-24-21, 03:05 AM
Jflex15
Driver

Originally Posted by ChineseKFC
I have that exact one for my 2015 is250, i ordered mine off amazon. I do remember having the rotate the middle bar 180 degree for the install to look flush, the way that it came was tilting about 45 degrees down towards the engine bay.
ok I’m gonna make a decision today on whether to get this one or the one from ultraracing. If all it takes to make it fit right is loosening end nuts and a slight tilt I’ll probably go this route for $100 less. The UR looks pretty cool too though but from what I’ve read non of this provide massive performance in handling gains.
Old 02-01-21, 01:20 PM
Jflex15
Driver

Just got mine in today and just installed it. I had to reverse the brackets as well to get them to set on the bolts. I have about an inch between the braces Highest point and the hood. Only complaint so far upon installing was it slightly touches my engine cover in two places. Another 1/8 inch would have cleared. But it’s technically for 08-13 so it’s all good.

Old 06-16-21, 06:09 PM
Chugs350
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey guys, I just installed the same bar on my car. I have AVS on mine. Would it be an issue to leave the AVS motor open air during winter with snow and rust?
Old 06-17-21, 05:46 AM
Jflex15
Driver

Originally Posted by Chugs350
Hey guys, I just installed the same bar on my car. I have AVS on mine. Would it be an issue to leave the AVS motor open air during winter with snow and rust?
i don’t have the AVS on my 250 but I think I’ve I did I’d probably try to fabricate some sort of cover out of a piece of rubber or soft plastic to take the place of the original.

Quick Reply: Megan racing strut bar for 14 + is 250