Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Pleasantly surprised: PLP SFI and Grounding Kit

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-03, 12:46 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Pleasantly surprised: PLP SFI and Grounding Kit

Just wanted to post a little feedback.

I wanted to put a couple of small changes that won't break the bank to the car. Although there is always room for improvement, I am pretty satisfied with the suspension and body mods I currently have. Without going SC or Turbo, I thought I'd start to attack engine performance.

First, I got a ground kit installed. I never thought this would do much but based on other members' feedback, I'd though I'd try it. I got this done at TMEngineering. I had asked Todd that if he was to ground the car, what would he do? He was a bit skeptical but he definitely had ideas of where it would do the most good. He put together a nice clean install with all the looms to resist rubbing and it looks like it belongs in the car. If you did not know, you'd think it was OEM. (Thanks Todd! )

Now, part of this install involved removing the battery ground so at first I thought that the throttle response changes were due to that. 2 weeks and 700 miles later (with the return trip from SoCal in between), the shifts were still smoother than they used to be. I thought it would slowly go away because of the ECU reset but I've been pleasantly surprised that it has not. This seems to confirm some other members' findings.

This was as of last week because I added the PLP Silent Flow Intake at that time. I wanted this intake for 4 reasons: modding up the engine a bit(aesthetic), possible small power increase, noise (I like the smooth,quiet Lexus feel), and potential carb certification. PLP is waiting to do the certification and do not anticipate a problem. Whether or not this will become an issue, it was designed to work within the certification guidelines so I was OK with that. Also, I have a 98 GS3 so the engine was a little different then the supported 2000+ cars per the website. Mike at PLP did the install to figure out the extra parts needed. (Thanks Mike.) Based on this, hopefully, he'll find time to add 98 and 99 support soon.

Since this install also involved the battery ground removal, I reset the test timer of the ground kit too. Again, I did not expect a whole lot but I did notice a difference. I did feel a better response when driving. Remember I did an ECU reset only a few weeks ago so this is definitely different than just the ECU. Realistically, I did not get enough to go out and race anyone based on the increase but driving the car feels even better than before. I've been driving the car for 2 years now and with all the suspension mods, this is the best the car has felt. I will continue to monitor to see if the car can keep up this level of change.

Like watching new movies, maybe it is one of those expectations thing. If you expect too much, you'd be disappointed. But if you are more realistic in your expectations, you can be pleasantly surprised. The latter is definitely the case for me. Although some form of FI is in the car's future, these were two nice additions to the car.
Old 09-19-03, 12:54 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,271 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Nice writeup Neo, thanks! Did Todd make a custom grounding kit for you or did he use a kit and just do a great install?
Old 09-19-03, 02:26 PM
Neo
The One

Originally posted by DaveGS4
Nice writeup Neo, thanks! Did Todd make a custom grounding kit for you or did he use a kit and just do a great install?
He built his own and did a great install. I'll put up a pic later when I get a chance.
Old 09-19-03, 03:38 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Neo, I was just talking to Mike last night about a GS4 intake. Nice to hear that you are happy with the grounding kit, too. I got mine on last week, everything is grooooovy so far. I need to install the K&N before Sunday, too. As you can see from the picture I am in my BLUE phase.

Old 09-19-03, 03:39 PM
Neo
The One

Nice install red. See ya Sunday.
Old 09-19-03, 07:31 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,438 Likes on 1,598 Posts

Neo - congrats on the mods. I concur exactly on the grounding kit. I've concluded it just makes the voltage spread on the whole electrical system better and thus the electronics and everything work better.

Not sure what your intake looks like. A pic?
Old 09-19-03, 10:19 PM
Neo
The One

Default Intake

Intake is new pipe with hi-flow filter. Very understated.
Attached Thumbnails Pleasantly surprised: PLP SFI and Grounding Kit-img_1270_small.jpg  

Last edited by Neo; 09-19-03 at 10:24 PM.
Old 09-19-03, 10:23 PM
Neo
The One

Default Ground Kit

For those who have a grounding kit, you'll probably recognize the attach points. Otherwise, it looks like part of the original wiring (only newer looking) Todd also grounded a couple of things in the cockpit. You'll have to ask him for details.
Attached Thumbnails Pleasantly surprised: PLP SFI and Grounding Kit-img_1267_small.jpg  

Last edited by Neo; 09-19-03 at 10:24 PM.
Old 09-20-03, 12:50 AM
GSquicksilver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

any improvement in idling with the ground kit? wondering will it fix the good'ol rough idling problem.
Old 09-20-03, 08:20 AM
Neo
The One

Originally posted by GSquicksilver
any improvement in idling with the ground kit? wondering will it fix the good'ol rough idling problem.
I've actually have not had any rough idling problems (knock on wood ) so I can't say.
Old 11-26-03, 08:41 AM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm looking at your grounding kit picture. It seems that you now have two cables attached to your negative battery terminal, right? Where does that new cable terminate....body or engine?
Old 11-26-03, 08:49 AM
KVA
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Should be to the body...you can see it on mine (one to the side of the battery by the intake and the other to the opposite side behind the engine cover):

Old 11-26-03, 10:47 AM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks. It seems like someone can fabricate this from available battery cables from most auto part stores. I think it's a good weekend project. Thanks KVA.

Last edited by whitels; 11-26-03 at 10:47 AM.
Old 11-26-03, 05:05 PM
Neo
The One

Originally posted by whitels
Thanks. It seems like someone can fabricate this from available battery cables from most auto part stores. I think it's a good weekend project. Thanks KVA.
Yup. Totally doable at home if you have all the tools to terminate cables. Todd added a few more ground points that were a little more tricky to get at but not beyond a DIY job.
Old 11-27-03, 05:21 AM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks Neo.

Quick Reply: Pleasantly surprised: PLP SFI and Grounding Kit