Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Has ANYONE had ANY Problems w/ THE SRT INTAKE & ECU for GSS400 ???

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-03, 06:33 PM
koreanpers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Has ANYONE had ANY Problems w/ THE SRT INTAKE & ECU for GSS400 ???

I have my srt intake...but want to ask a few questions before installing. Anyone had Any problems at all?
Old 09-20-03, 06:08 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

no problems at all when i did have mine for all of 1 week.. the install itself is a breeze , just make sure to identify your wires then splice and solder away , make sure vacum lines connect properly and most of all make sure MAF sensor is pointed towards the filter or you will have issues .

on a second note , dont get your hopes up to high , it will not transform your ride into a instant drag racer by a long shot and be prepared for a tremendous amount of noise esp at WOT, there will be some small gains only in mid to high end and SOME being the operative word

good luck to you
Old 09-20-03, 07:00 AM
koreanpers
Lexus Test Driver

hmm...so if i add exhaust....with the srt...will that be the best way to get more hp? also, how can SRT claim that it gives a 30 hp boost w/ their intake? isnt that false advertising?
Old 09-20-03, 07:55 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

korean

if you use the search function you will find countless threads about the srt thing.. no one has been able to duplicate their numbers or even come close to whats claimed ,,period....

there is a small gain but to me not worth the noise factor
Old 09-20-03, 08:18 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,280 Likes on 1,386 Posts

Originally posted by lexforlife
korean

if you use the search function you will find countless threads about the srt thing.. no one has been able to duplicate their numbers or even come close to whats claimed ,,period....
Oh here we go again.... LFL, you must have a pretty short memory to make such a definitive statement like that when I just showed you proof last week click here for coming close to what's claimed. . 27RWHP vs 30RWHP claimed, I'd say is pretty close... period. However, I'll be the first to say that is on the high end of what most people will see.

I personally don't have a 'before' dyno of my car prior to putting on the intake, but I did one before/after upgrading to the race ECU and it added ~5hp.

I have had no problems with mine and I've had it on for about three years now. I DO have the check engine light popped on my car (without ramifications), but I suspect that is due to my TC.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 09-20-03 at 08:19 AM.
Old 09-20-03, 09:39 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Originally posted by DaveGS4
I DO have the check engine light popped on my car (without ramifications), but I suspect that is due to my TC.
Dave - Your light is permanently on? How do you think the TC would cause this? I would think intake more (not SRT specifically) because of how finnicky OBDII sensors have to be. Could even be a dirty filter???

Last edited by bitkahuna; 09-20-03 at 09:39 AM.
Old 09-20-03, 10:51 AM
koreanpers
Lexus Test Driver

the check engine lite...yea that usually means the oxygen sensors...hmmm...have you had it checked out? i am still undecided. I have the srt intake sitting here next to me...its beggn me to put it in...im just not sure if i want to yet.
Old 09-20-03, 02:30 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Originally posted by bitkahuna
Dave - Your light is permanently on? How do you think the TC would cause this? I would think intake more (not SRT specifically) because of how finnicky OBDII sensors have to be. Could even be a dirty filter???
I've had it checked out a couple of times. It stays off for a while after being reset, but eventually pops back on. Dealer isn't worried about it and I've been driving for years with it, so I'm not either other than it might mask a real problem. I've replaced the filter twice with no change. Black tape fixed the light being on all the time .

Paul, I think it is likely the TC based on a few old posts I read. One specifically I can't find from Mean Gene who had the same problem (think it was in the old SRT forum that was removed), but is mentioned in these I linked below. I had the intake/ECU, TC, exhaust and borla/eibach suspension done all at the same time, so I can't isolate the culprit.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...t=check+engine
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...t=engine+light

Koreanpers. If you don't mind your car being louder (the intake is pretty loud with a kind of growl/whistle sound that I personally like), put it on. If you don't like it after a few weeks, take it off and sell it.
Old 09-20-03, 04:32 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

dave
again i specifically stated MY EXP with the setup and what i used to guage performance .. setting a car up with hood open and hugh fan blowing on it does not pass with me for a intake

i would like to see real world driving sit meaning hood closed and no real huge fan blowing on it ..

i using a timer and marking distanace before and after tells the tale for "me"

thats all i have to say
Old 09-21-03, 12:00 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Originally posted by lexforlife
dave
again i specifically stated MY EXP with the setup and what i used to guage performance .. setting a car up with hood open and hugh fan blowing on it does not pass with me for a intake

i would like to see real world driving sit meaning hood closed and no real huge fan blowing on it ..

i using a timer and marking distanace before and after tells the tale for "me"

thats all i have to say
LFL, I think it's the wording you use that causes me to follow up and try to clarify your posts. You say things that sound so terribly definitive like you've done detailed tests on this stuff... but it was really seat of the pants testing for less than a week and your wife didn't like the noise of the intake. If you didn't like the product and it didn't fully meet your expectations, that's fine, but please don't mislead other members with over-the-top statements. When you can produce some dyno results or quarter mile slips with before/after firm numbers then I'll stop posting on this topic .

I must disagree with the non-scientific seat of the pants / 'timer' method you tout, especially when you can easily take the same car in like conditions and get documented repeatable HP and torque ratings on a dyno (or even on a quarter mile track) for a real comparison. Tweak the car and find out what increases the changes you made did to it. That's what dyno testing and tuning is all about. Clicking a stopwatch yourself while driving is a terribly inefficient and inaccurate way to test. Do you even use a G-Tech? Let's see the exact numbers and details about the conditions each time you've tested using the stopwatch including RPM and MPH you were driving, temperature, humidity, etc?

BTW, most of my dynos have been done without a fan for one reason or another. The fan pretty much simulates the wind blowing on your radiator at highway speeds, so it's really not that much of a difference. See pictures below of my car on the dyno at SRT after getting my race ECU put in. Note there is NO FAN and it was a hot summer day. So much for your theory on the fan there...

The only dyno I've done with a fan was at a SE meet dyno event a couple of years ago. Note how huge that fan is sitting in front of Dr Ricks GS in this short clip Not a big difference. http://www.somniplex.com/videos/Dr%2...no%20small.MPG

All I'm trying to do in responding here is to clear up inaccurate information in statements you make such as "no one has been able to duplicate their numbers or even come close to whats claimed ,,period...." . I've repeatedly shown you where some people have. Let's face it, dynos are an accepted real world standard of testing HP and TQ changes, and the seat of your pants are not .

Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to sit here and make any type of claim that everyone is going to see a 30 RWHP gain in their car as advertised - every car is different and I think that claim is way too high. I personally did see an improvement in mid and high performance with my own GS when I put the intake on three years ago, and again when I upgraded the ECU version to the new Race ECU that now comes standard. Some members have also noticed a loss in power at low RPMs with the intake installed, too.

All I'm trying to do here is alleviate the bias you sometimes seem to put in the wording of your posts. I'd like for our members to hear about options for modifications with a little more basis in fact. Subjective observations are certainly always welcome here too, just please don't try to make them sound like there are no other opinions that matter.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 09-21-03 at 12:22 AM.
Old 09-21-03, 08:06 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

dave

i digress , i will respectfully withdraw my own findings based on "the seat of my pants " theory based on your opinion that it does not hold water . (i have only been racing imports for a few years so i guess seat of the pants does not fall into the real world category)

seeing that some may see my opinions as being biased , again i withdraw any further inputs about this topic and will allow others to be (dave excuse the comment , no bad intentions here) whipped into the srt world..

Dyno numbers are one thing , many variables affect the numbers , driving in the streets pinpointing exact distances and using a stop watch to some degree i guess accounts for nothing to the pros here and by the way dave , next dyno run , how about shutting the hood completely for i know no one who drives their gs with a wide open hood in the streets to aid in keeping the engine cool..and my statements never really said it was junk , but the numbers and actual feel of power was not dramatic to say the least to justify the added noise factor , thats all bro, constructive opinions here

Srt is still king and my own findings and the findings of another (who i promised would remain nameless) who is one of the most respected on the boards who in fact has already disected the ecu and has done mulitple tests with and without the units will now remain in silence

in amity , i remain

Last edited by lexforlife; 09-21-03 at 08:14 AM.
Old 09-21-03, 08:24 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

LOL. Don't hold back comments at all please, they're valued here

All I'm asking is a wee bit more objectivity to keep from misleading new members with over-the-top opinions. Consider that others might have experience and details that are different than yours. BTW I've been racing imports and domestics for the exact same number of years you have if your birthdate is correct.

Regardless, I noticed yesterday that KoreanPers was selling his intake in the classifieds so our discussion here is mute.

PS thanks for the wording change.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 09-21-03 at 08:26 AM.
Old 09-21-03, 09:14 AM
koreanpers
Lexus Test Driver

Yep, i decided to sell it...and not even worry about it anymore. I will just upgrade the suspension w/ trd sways, upgrade the stereo (when i have saved up enough money for the install), and buy rims My car is fast enough
Old 09-21-03, 08:15 PM
tmasta
Intermediate

22 HP for me