Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Kazama Auto coilpacks for 2JZ VVTI engines

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-21, 07:52 PM
1997Soarer
Instructor

Received 153 Likes on 118 Posts
Default Kazama Auto coilpacks for 2JZ VVTI engines

I noticed a few years ago that there is a serious lack of an aftermarket for Toyota coilpacks (part # 90919-02216). I googled around and checked places like ebay and amazon just to see what other options are out there. Even checked my.IS to see what people had tried.
The only aftermarket I could find that were performance oriented were Yellow Jackets out of Australia. And when I researched those, the few reviews I could find for their 2JZ-GTE, 2JZ-GE, 1JZ-GTE VVTI coilpacks were not good. Bad enough that people returned them and just ran brand new Toyota units.
With stock units, the only way to get a hotter more powerful spark is to run a HKS DLI, an Okada Projects Booster, or use the Cusco ignition amplifier. If you're not familiar with the last 2, they are ignition amplifiers that work on the same principle as the now discontinued HKS DLI.

Anyway in the spring of 2019, I started to get an intermittent misfire at cold idle. But only on really humid mornings. And it would go away the warmer the engine got. But what made it different was that I could hear a loud tapping sound from the engine bay. I popped the hood and while I couldn't see anything, I was certain it was a zapping sound from the plug valley. It took another few days to narrow it down, and finally a night start to see a hint of light flashing by the #3 coilback over cylinders 5&6. I took it out, inspected it, found nothing wrong, and put it back. And the miss never happened again...

Fast forward to SEMA 2019, and Kazama Auto adds performance coilpacks for the 2JZ-GE/GTE and 1JZ-GTE VVTI motors.
Here they are listed on their site. Translated they say they are built to OEM spec and have a power increase of 10%. They are the last product on the Toyota Ignition coil page:
https://www.kazamaauto.co.jp/product...2%a4%e3%83%ab/

I took notice of this because my car was fast approaching 110k and I knew after working at 2 Toyota dealerships that coilpacks and COPs usually are trouble free for 100k then they just start splitting apart. I didn't see anything wrong with mine when I did the plugs in 2016, but with the weird arcing I KNOW was happening, I was thinking it's only a matter of time now. I googled the Kazama coilpacks and didn't find much on them, but I checked their facebook and did see a lot of good reviews from guys in Japan. So I ordered up these coilpacks via RHDJapan. Got them in 7 days. We had sort of a dry summer and fall last year and the car never gave me any issues again so I figured I'd wait until I was ready to do a bunch of other maintenance. So here we are now

Install is exactly as stock. They are a direct OEM replacement. I paired them with brand new Denso IK16 plugs. The plugs I removed had about 19k on them, but it says specifically with the instructions to use new spark plugs at install.
I noticed it takes less cranks to start. And has a strong feel right off the back. The main reason I decided to do the coilpacks and plugs right now was I needed to inspect all 6 cylinders because I've been dealing with a bunch of faulty Denso O2 sensors and I wanted to rule out that the motor was bad. I confirmed the sensors were failing (reading 0v) and this was causing the cylinders to run super rich and that was causing misfires CELs along with all the O2 sensor codes of a dead sensor. I had another sensor die just 2 days ago (my 3rd, but this one was not the same part numbers as the others) and with the Kazamas when the CEL activated and the motor got rich the car didn't miss at all (it did all the time before).

If I ever run into any issues or they end up failing on me, I'll make sure to post an update to this thread.

Anyway here pics of me installing them in my car

Kazama part # 01802111

If you want to see more of the install, this is my flickr
UPDATE **PM me for my flickr - for some reason ClubLexus is censoring the flickr links

UPDATE 10-22-21 No issues. Car runs strong and gets pretty damn good gas mileage while cruising.

Last edited by 1997Soarer; 10-22-21 at 02:46 PM. Reason: Posted updates
Old 04-08-21, 11:33 AM
1997Soarer
Instructor

Received 153 Likes on 118 Posts

Worth mentioning, when the B1S1 O2 sensor was dying, it would read 0v which would cause the engine to add fuel to the point that the car would misfire on cylinders 1-3. And it would throw a misfire code along with the O2 codes. After installing the coilpacks, the O2 sensor died completely but the engine never misfired. I get the codes for a dead/dying O2 sensor, but no misfire codes and the engine wouldn't bog and miss like it did before. So... it appears they do work as advertised so far. My OBD2 scanner indicates the motor is adding as much fuel as previously (+38 LTFT) but this time the spark is hot enough to ignite combustion. I don't think a new set of spark plugs can account for this sort of significant difference. Especially since these are Denso IK16 iridiums that only had 19k on them. I inspected all the plugs and other than 1-3 showing signs of being rich all 6 measure out to the same gap they come at from Denso.