Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Will my new GS300 tranny fit on my GS430 ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-21, 01:28 AM
barjozogo
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Will my new GS300 tranny fit on my GS430 ?

Hi everyone,
So i'm doing a new thread here as some of you saw my 1st post about my 01 gs430 with what I thought was a bad TC. Well the pics will speak for themselves.. The planetary gear set inside the transmission is gone, like far far away now, it's a piece of junk. So I went to get a new tranny, sadly I could only get a GS300 model but i'm planning on modding it with my spare 430 tranny.
After a few research I've read on the forum that both trannies are the same model but the 430 one has a few mods to cope with v8 torque such as valve body, yoke, bell housing. Both gearboxes are A650E models, GS300 one is 3F300 and GS430 one is 3F520.
My question here : Is anyone here competent enough to let me know about every mod I will need to do to get my new tranny working with my 430 engine ? Can I just get the planetary gear set from the 3F300 gb and just put it in my 3F520 without any mods ?
(Reason why I didn't get a gs430 tranny : In france its just impossible to get one, and when one goes for sale their price gets mad, often around 1000$ and I cannot afford this lol)

I really want to fix that car so I'll be gladly thanking anyone trying to help, thanks lads

Old 09-03-21, 06:29 AM
TrueGS300
Racer

Received 468 Likes on 382 Posts

It should work. You already have all the things you need to transfer over. I know the bell housing is different, torque converter too. And depending on the years, there can be different sensors and connectors. So use the old ones if you need to. You probably know about turning up the dial inside the pan on the valve body for better performance. Might consider the accumulator shim trick too. There's a website called IS-Elite and they show several trans mods. Somewhat common knowledge now. But the transmission is physically the same. Just need the right hookups.
Old 09-03-21, 12:42 PM
barjozogo
Driver School Candidate

Many thanks Truegs300 !! I'll start working on my gearbox next week. I know about the oil pressure dial turn yes, but I can't find anything about the IS-Elite website, nor the accumulator shim trick, what is that ? Feel free to send links, they will be helpful.
Anyone else ever done that on the forum ?
Old 09-03-21, 05:10 PM
TrueGS300
Racer

Looks like the site no longer exists, but here's one of their videos
The following users liked this post:
barjozogo (09-04-21)
Old 09-08-21, 06:56 AM
barjozogo
Driver School Candidate

Little update ; today I removed and cleaned my valve body, and tried to move the oil pressure dial but it won't move at all ! Why is that ? I tried moving the little retainer, which moves but won't give me enough space to turn my dial.. Which by the way was on 1st position, might be one of the reasons why the gearbox didn't last for long...
Old 09-09-21, 07:15 AM
TrueGS300
Racer

I think you have to push in pretty hard while turning.
Old 10-11-21, 06:35 AM
barjozogo
Driver School Candidate

Hi again everyone, posting a little update so that other people can do it safely !

I tested for you, the N/A 2jz A650E - 3F300 transmission mounted on the 3UZFE v8, instead of the stock A650E - 3F520. It works with a few mods !
The main reasons why I picked a GS300 transmission were that I could only find one of them v8 versions in France, and prices are just mad here. The only one I found was for sale at over 1000$. Meanwhile, I could find plenty of GS300 trannies, for much much cheaper. I paid mine 100$ : 280k on the clock, recently serviced and well maintained.

The GS300 gearbox will fit the GS430 with the following mods : Bell housing, torque converter, yoke and driveshaft+flex from the V8. Thats it !
Just make sure you're not mounting a 2nd phase GS tranny on a 1st phase, I haven't tried that and I doubt it will work. Apart from that, mind the damn torque converter, you have to fully push it down the transmission (push pretty hard and make sure there's no space between it and the oil pump hole), otherwise it will stop the engine from moving when you want to bolt it to the flywheel.
Thanks to everyone who tried to help, it's been very motivating and helpful. I'm glad I can finally enjoy the V8 after 6 months of waiting I'm open to any questions of course !
The following 2 users liked this post by barjozogo:
firelizard (10-11-21), KyleH (10-11-21)
Old 12-19-21, 09:33 AM
barjozogo
Driver School Candidate

Alright so hi again everyone, in the end the 300 tranny didn't fit.. Well it technically fit and the car ran, but I've missed a 7mm difference on the oil pump groove, I was able to install the TC and run the car for about an hour of driving. Then I got a major oil leak, smoke and a rattling noise coming from the torque converter. After putting the car back on a lift I noticed this 7mm difference, it destroyed my brand new 400$ TC because it had less surface to rotate on, got a lot of play between the stator/rotor so in the end, DO NOT ATTEMPT MOUNTING A STOCK GS300 TRANSMISSION ON A 430 YOU'LL RUIN THE TORQUE CONVERTER.
If you wanted to do so anyways -> you would have to get the TC, yoke, housing bell, oil pump AND the inside planetary gears from a 430 because they're different too. But that's a seriously big job, you'd fancy a new 430 gearbox instead. Of course I could only see this after ruining my brand new TC lol.
In the end I found a proper 430 transmission, serviced it and it drives absolutely smooth since then. I love this car even though the whole story cost me a **** load of money lmao.
Thanks everyone
The following 2 users liked this post by barjozogo:
firelizard (12-19-21), Frankn (01-22-22)
Old 09-07-23, 10:27 AM
PsychonautGs430
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with my TC

Originally Posted by barjozogo
Alright so hi again everyone, in the end the 300 tranny didn't fit.. Well it technically fit and the car ran, but I've missed a 7mm difference on the oil pump groove, I was able to install the TC and run the car for about an hour of driving. Then I got a major oil leak, smoke and a rattling noise coming from the torque converter. After putting the car back on a lift I noticed this 7mm difference, it destroyed my brand new 400$ TC because it had less surface to rotate on, got a lot of play between the stator/rotor so in the end, DO NOT ATTEMPT MOUNTING A STOCK GS300 TRANSMISSION ON A 430 YOU'LL RUIN THE TORQUE CONVERTER.
If you wanted to do so anyways -> you would have to get the TC, yoke, housing bell, oil pump AND the inside planetary gears from a 430 because they're different too. But that's a seriously big job, you'd fancy a new 430 gearbox instead. Of course I could only see this after ruining my brand new TC lol.
In the end I found a proper 430 transmission, serviced it and it drives absolutely smooth since then. I love this car even though the whole story cost me a **** load of money lmao.
Thanks everyone
. Hey I was wondering if your TC had a 2in stud with a round circle head stud in the middle of it or if it just had a hump? My OEM one just had a hump and the ones I am trying to buy have this stud. I bought and imported trans and it had the stud and would not let me bolt the trans to the engine because of the stud. I used my old TC and it works fine just has a whining when i start up. So i am looking to change it but everyone is selling the one with the stud. Do you have any knowledge on this? In the picture is the new TC at a shop with the stud on the hump in the middle. Mine has the hump no stud.