Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

2000 gs 300 upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-21, 10:23 PM
530chick
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2000 gs 300 upgrades

hey so I was wondering what easy affordable upgrades I can do to my 2000 gs 300 I eventually want to have a turbo on it but till then what can i do ? any ideas
Old 10-26-21, 05:59 AM
firelizard

Received 454 Likes on 359 Posts

What do you want to improve about your car?
Old 10-26-21, 07:38 AM
530chick
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by firelizard
What do you want to improve about your car?
anything for more horsepower, suspension and handling i have the 2jz motor and i really want a turbo
Old 10-26-21, 07:52 AM
Scigheras
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Regarding more power: turbo conversion is the first step, don't waste your money on anything else, just start saving money until you can afford that

For handling: you can do whatever you want, if you have no idea start with a decent set of tires
Old 10-26-21, 09:18 AM
KyleH
Advanced

Received 137 Likes on 105 Posts

Since your car probably has 100-200K + miles on it, start with the suspension components that are most critical. Balljoints for sure and then identify rattles and other squeaks and issues that need attention. A trustworthy alignment shop can help identify worn bushings that will negatively impact your tire wear. Inspect the brakes. Likely if it's the original radiator, it's probably time for a replacement if the tank looks brownish / tan instead of black. Find the source of your oil leaks and address those. Read the trouble codes and address any warning lights already present on the instrument cluster.

Going turbo on these cars isn't cheap and isn't easy without some deep pockets and know-how. Not trying to dissuade or crush dreams, but the people who pick up 20 year old 200k+ mile cars and neglect the core of the cars' critical systems (suspension, brakes, drivetrain, engine) are lacking good judgement. Be a responsible owner and fellow driver / citizen and prioritize keeping the car safe and roadworthy. Then put a plan together for what you want it to be beyond a safe and reliable Lexus quality sedan, and start saving toward that goal.

As has been mentioned - I agree completely with not wasting your money on power modifications for this car until you're ready to go forced induction. I would also caution against going forced induction on the stock internals. Thousands of dollars for average power by today's standards with diminished driveability characteristics and significantly higher likelihood of failure. Money could arguably be better spent buying a different car, even if it isn't a 2JZ.
Old 10-26-21, 01:44 PM
firelizard

Received 454 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by 530chick
anything for more horsepower, suspension and handling i have the 2jz motor and i really want a turbo
Why? For what?

If you have no objective, you can't make a plan. My advice then is to do nothing except maintenance until you know what kind of car you want to end up with. In the meantime, read some of the hundreds of threads people have made, to guide you.
Buying parts randomly, based on what you can afford at the time is not an effective way to build a project car.

Last edited by firelizard; 10-26-21 at 02:02 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Frankn (11-15-21)