Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

The dyno numbers are in.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-03, 03:46 PM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The dyno numbers are in.....

Well guys....I'm a little dissapointed right now, but by the same token It's pretty good.

I was looking for closer to 375-400HP @ wheels based on what Millen was saying their dynos went to. I'm supposed to have the 7lb pulley, but after testing on the dyno today.....the car is only seeing 5lbs of boost. I'll have to check into that. As you guys know, the car was running super rich so I decided to install a S-AFC II to try and correct that. It was running super rich, and I was correct...the AFC did correct that. Also took care (so far) of the CEL being on due to the "rich" code. Anyway, enough babble:

1st pull with the car still running rich: 286HP 2 something torque (I forgot what it was)

Last pull (after 2 hours of tuning): 352.8HP 290 TQ.

The air/fuel is perfectly flat @ 12.0-12.1 all the way across the pull to redline.

I guess the summary is this:

@ 5lbs of boost (I don't care what the pulley combo is "supposed" to put out, that's all it REALLY puts out!), with a pretty well tuned car....the car puts down about 110-115HP more than it does with just an intake and race ecu (249HP from the info I found). The good thing is that the torque curve, or lack thereof, is pretty awesome. Everyone at the dyno was amazed that from 3500-6500rpm the torque curve is almost flat, which means that the engine is pulling very well. The tuner told me that most engines start out good, but quickly drop off the torque as the rpm's raise. He said our engines are unbelievable (his words). Which I thought was pretty neat considering he tunes the likes of 1000+ HP supras, RX-7's, and skylines. The real amazing thing is that the car just being tuned squeezed out almost 70HP more. Tuning is just awesome. Cool to watch a guy that knows what he's doing, turn ***** and look at a screen to make the car do what it's supposed to.

Forgot to mention...the belt came loose on one of the pulls, which killed the HP numbers once. After a little mechanic work and tightening the belt correctly...the numbers were back up. Most of the tuning time was spent getting the air/fuel ratio to safe levels which in turn made the HP numbers go up.

I guess I'm not totally dissapointed, but I am going to look for a smaller pulley combo to get the car to "see" 7lbs of boost. I'm told that's the limit on stock internals due to compression.

Stay tuned.
Old 10-02-03, 04:00 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Great to hear that Jaime. So, when are we going for a ride in your car..
Old 10-02-03, 04:01 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AWESOME dude. Don't be disappointed!

Your ride rocks!

Your HP numbers are great for the amount of boost you are seeing. When I first did my stage II @ 6.5 lbs of boost I got 322 RWHP and 286 lb/ft.

Glad to hear that you got rid of the CEL. As for 7 lbs of boost... I've been running 8.5 lbs of boost for 1 1/2 years now. No problems. You might want to watch the injector duty cycle though I'm not too sure how much more RWHP you can support with the injectors in that kit.

Old 10-02-03, 04:03 PM
Letsride

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
Arrow

J thanks for the update! Dont get down, those numbers are very respectable Keep up the work bud, it'll work out

PS: were you getting any slipping on the dyno?
Old 10-02-03, 05:28 PM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

For the non-believers:

Pic of dyno sheet close-up:

https://www.clublexus.com/gallery/sh...cat=500&page=1

Pic of car @ dyno:

Pic of where the AFC is installed:

Pic of the print out:

Old 10-02-03, 05:28 PM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by VVT-i
Great to hear that Jaime. So, when are we going for a ride in your car..
Sunday, if you go to the meet.
Old 10-02-03, 05:30 PM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Mr Johnson
AWESOME dude. Don't be disappointed!

Your ride rocks!

Your HP numbers are great for the amount of boost you are seeing. When I first did my stage II @ 6.5 lbs of boost I got 322 RWHP and 286 lb/ft.

Glad to hear that you got rid of the CEL. As for 7 lbs of boost... I've been running 8.5 lbs of boost for 1 1/2 years now. No problems. You might want to watch the injector duty cycle though I'm not too sure how much more RWHP you can support with the injectors in that kit.

Thanks, that makes me feel a little better coming from someone like you.

What pulley are you using to see 8.5 lbs of boost? What injectors are you using? Mine has the 310cc RC's.
Old 10-02-03, 05:33 PM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Letsride
J thanks for the update! Dont get down, those numbers are very respectable Keep up the work bud, it'll work out

PS: were you getting any slipping on the dyno?
Welcome.

Thanks for the support. I was just hoping for bigger numbers. I guess my butt dyno needs a little more tuning too....

Slipping how? My belt slipped during 2-3 pulls @ 6000rpm. We tightened it up and now it doesn't slip at all. Funny though, it pulled 322hp with the belt slipping and cutting off at 6k. We tightened it up and ran it right back....got 344hp. 20+ HP loss from belt slipping. Imagine that.
Old 10-02-03, 05:53 PM
bags
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think your full of it..

You don't have a SC or a SAFC II and those rims were photochopped as well

JUST KIDDING AWESOME NUMBERS MAN..

The TQ LINE is nice.. I am sure you wanted a little more, but like the dyno guy said.. it's SOLID all the way through.

NOW the HP, is AMAZING.

I honestly thought you were gonna be in the 320 range... I am gonn try and make the meet sunday.. My car is starting the switchover saturday I think, so I may not make it..

None the less again my firend that is great.

I hope your happy.. You should be
Old 10-02-03, 06:10 PM
Letsride

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Jaime keep in mind also not all dynos are the same....so.... Check that belt occasionally though...
Old 10-02-03, 06:52 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,437 Likes on 1,598 Posts
Default Re: The dyno numbers are in.....

Awesome Jaime. You're a real inspiration and trailblazer here in Hotlanta.

Originally posted by jmecbr900
Last pull (after 2 hours of tuning): 352.8HP 290 TQ.
Those are fightin' numbers. May not be quite what you hoped, but your car must still be real fast now.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 10-02-03 at 06:52 PM.
Old 10-02-03, 07:39 PM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by bags

The TQ LINE is nice.. I am sure you wanted a little more, but like the dyno guy said.. it's SOLID all the way through.

NOW the HP, is AMAZING.

I honestly thought you were gonna be in the 320 range... I am gonn try and make the meet sunday.. My car is starting the switchover saturday I think, so I may not make it..

None the less again my firend that is great.

I hope your happy.. You should be
I feel a little better about it after driving it a little on open road tonight. After the dyno run, it was after 5pm and I got nothing but traffic.
Old 10-02-03, 07:40 PM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Re: The dyno numbers are in.....

Originally posted by bitkahuna
Awesome Jaime. You're a real inspiration and trailblazer here in Hotlanta.

Those are fightin' numbers. May not be quite what you hoped, but your car must still be real fast now.

Thanks bud.

Yeah, not quite the 400 I was looking for. I'm working on that though.
Old 10-03-03, 07:26 AM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

Question:

I've read thru a hundred pages of old text trying to find a solid answer on drivetrain loss. Is it 20% or 25% for our cars? Does anyone know? Is there any kind of hint from Lexus?

I read a ton of old threads and there seems to be a lot of debate regarding this because the number is used by different companies to "puff" up the gain numbers AFTER using their parts. Atleast that's what's alleged.

I'm wondering because with a 20% drivetrain loss that means I'm somewhere near 441BHP/362 TQ.

But with a 25% loss, I'm at 471BHP/ 386TQ.

I'd like to know to be able to compare to other "sports cars" numbers and see how I would fare. Just curiosity mind you.
Old 10-03-03, 08:07 AM
KVA
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Congrats...car looks great! ...if I could only get mine to pull those numbers

...and good spot for the handgun. Do they allow that is Georgia (Atlanta)? In CA you would be in jail so fast if you got caught with one of those in the car! Cops here have zero tolerance...but you already knew that (just watch the news)!

Quick Reply: The dyno numbers are in.....