Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

17 200t 8ar bolt-ons

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-22, 11:21 PM
Milkshake
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 17 200t 8ar bolt-ons

Figured id share some bolt-ons for the 8ar folks.
Wouldnt consider this a "build" so thats why i put it here in the performance section.
All HPS parts: charge pipe, turbo muffler delete and silicone intake tube.
The combo increased throttle response/decreased lag, quite noticeably! Charge pipe install isnt as bad as people think it is. Arms may get chewed up fishing them everywhere but meh. HPS has step by step instructions available on their site.

Turbo muffler delete doesnt offer much noise(if thats what your after) using the factory airbox.

Patiently waiting for March 31st for the d3 goodness to ship out to decide if i want to go downpipe next or not.
Also plan on scooping up some magnaflows for a "custom" axle-back. With that being said, if youre not looking for rice loudness, nor want to spend the $1200 they want for the axle back just buy their mufflers and have a local shop get em in for ya.
Anybody recommend anymore bolt-on performance upgrades, other than a downpipe like I previously mentioned? Washable f-sport filter something worth scooping up?

Old 03-12-22, 02:32 AM
BMGS
Racer

Received 550 Likes on 338 Posts

Looks good! Where did you buy all of those from and what is the benefit of the turbo muffler delete?

The warranty is now up on my GS200t and I'm certainly interested in anything that can help with lag. I've had the D3 tune for a year and a half and it's been amazing, you will love it.

Do any of the above increase sound levels by any means? I'm looking to keep the car sounding stock. To keep it looking stock, do they have the tubing in black?

As far as additional mods, I was thinking of water injection but not sure if I'll ever have the time to spend on it. There is a ton of room up front in the GS for mounting the pump and tank, not sure on the IS. It would be worthwhile mod if you are upping the boost with the D3 tune or decide to go with a drop-in turbo upgrade.

​​​​​​

Last edited by BMGS; 03-12-22 at 02:35 AM.
Old 03-12-22, 07:39 AM
Milkshake
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BMGS
Looks good! Where did you buy all of those from and what is the benefit of the turbo muffler delete?

The warranty is now up on my GS200t and I'm certainly interested in anything that can help with lag. I've had the D3 tune for a year and a half and it's been amazing, you will love it.

Do any of the above increase sound levels by any means? I'm looking to keep the car sounding stock. To keep it looking stock, do they have the tubing in black?

As far as additional mods, I was thinking of water injection but not sure if I'll ever have the time to spend on it. There is a ton of room up front in the GS for mounting the pump and tank, not sure on the IS. It would be worthwhile mod if you are upping the boost with the D3 tune or decide to go with a drop-in turbo upgrade.

​​​​​​
The real purpose for the muffler delete is just a simplified path for the boost to travel. As you can see in the comparison picture, the factory one has seperate chambers the boost will flow through JUST to keep it quiet. There is more spool up noise but with the factory airbox its nothing crazy or gaudy.

I got the intake tube and muffler delete straight from HPS. Got the charge pipe second hand from somebody who purchased it straight from HPS.
Old 03-12-22, 10:39 AM
zhifan1
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Does installing the TMD offer any real performance gains, specifically the turbo lag?
Old 03-12-22, 10:45 AM
Milkshake
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by zhifan1
Does installing the TMD offer any real performance gains, specifically the turbo lag?
like I mentioned, between these parts, turbo lag has decreased quite noticeably. None of these parts "add" horsepower, theoretically. BUT, im sure a couple were gained just based off the efficiency of airflow. Turbo spools, pushes air into intake. So the easier the air moves the better.

I can't speak on the muffler delete specifically cause i went from bone stock to these parts all at the same time in the same day.
The following users liked this post:
zhifan1 (03-12-22)
Old 03-13-22, 12:21 AM
BMGS
Racer

Originally Posted by Milkshake
The real purpose for the muffler delete is just a simplified path for the boost to travel. As you can see in the comparison picture, the factory one has seperate chambers the boost will flow through JUST to keep it quiet. There is more spool up noise but with the factory airbox its nothing crazy or gaudy.

I got the intake tube and muffler delete straight from HPS. Got the charge pipe second hand from somebody who purchased it straight from HPS.
Thanks, just ordered the set. I was always concerned about the plastic hot charge pipe breaking at the 19psi the D3 tune shoots up to. How long did that installation take for you?

I hope they all help with the lag from a stop when taking a left turn across traffic. Even my wife's NX has less lag in stock form, must be the gearing
Old 03-13-22, 12:46 AM
zhifan1
Advanced

Drats, seems the TMD is out of stock at the moment. I have installed the silicone intake tube for almost 2 years and it does not noticeably help with the lag at all, so wanna try the TMD, will wait for stocks to be replenished.
Old 03-13-22, 04:25 AM
BMGS
Racer

Drats, seems the TMD is out of stock at the moment. I have installed the silicone intake tube for almost 2 years and it does not noticeably help with the lag at all, so wanna try the TMD, will wait for stocks to be replenished.
There is a seller on ebay that claims to have them in stock, I'll see if it ships.
The following users liked this post:
zhifan1 (03-13-22)
Old 03-13-22, 10:18 AM
Bastrd6
Pit Crew

Received 88 Likes on 43 Posts

While I did most of these mods to my IS200t. A lot of the "lag" everyone complains about is largely due in part to the factory tune. This is partially proved in the GS200t being faster than the IS200t. So while you can minimize it to a point with mods that actual gain will be in the tune itself. But will say I did enjoy the intake,mufflers delete,axleback, and the JB4 (+5 lb map). By no means bashing. And Im glad to see someone else come out with the the turbo muffler delete. Props to the op for doing these mods. But did want to add a bit more opinion to this.
Old 03-13-22, 06:26 PM
Milkshake
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BMGS
Thanks, just ordered the set. I was always concerned about the plastic hot charge pipe breaking at the 19psi the D3 tune shoots up to. How long did that installation take for you?

I hope they all help with the lag from a stop when taking a left turn across traffic. Even my wife's NX has less lag in stock form, must be the gearing
if I remember correctly, i think i was 3 hours deep with everything done at once, just working steady
Old 03-13-22, 06:27 PM
Milkshake
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bastrd6
While I did most of these mods to my IS200t. A lot of the "lag" everyone complains about is largely due in part to the factory tune. This is partially proved in the GS200t being faster than the IS200t. So while you can minimize it to a point with mods that actual gain will be in the tune itself. But will say I did enjoy the intake,mufflers delete,axleback, and the JB4 (+5 lb map). By no means bashing. And Im glad to see someone else come out with the the turbo muffler delete. Props to the op for doing these mods. But did want to add a bit more opinion to this.
March 31st cant get here soon enough!
Old 03-14-22, 03:56 AM
BMGS
Racer

Yeah the D3 Tune did help a lot but that initial lag can get dicey when trying to cross traffic. I've learned to hit the accelerator a bit early to account for the lag. Once it's moving there is only instant torque.

I'll likely try the easier of the two installs first then save the rear hot charge pipe for the future. I do like the integrated water injection bung that can be used if I go that route.

I feel better simply having it on hand in case the factory one fails, as I have seen a few other tuned users report.
Old 03-14-22, 03:59 AM
BMGS
Racer

Originally Posted by Milkshake
if I remember correctly, i think i was 3 hours deep with everything done at once, just working steady
That's not bad at all for all of them. Is it all 10 and 12mm bolts? I always like to gather up the tools ahead of time or use the job as an excuse to order new tools that can help make the job easier.
Old 03-14-22, 05:39 AM
zhifan1
Advanced

Looking to get the tune too, when released, but I think the GS200t is a tad slower (0-60) than the IS counterpart (stock v. stock) as it's heavier.

Old 03-17-22, 05:05 AM
BMGS
Racer

I got mine in from the ebay seller already. Will install this weekend along with the easier intake tube and maybe tackle the rear charge pipe.

I am starting to give a lot more thought to water injection now that the charge pipe has a bung for the nozzle. I think that could be a great power and longevity mod considering the limitations I have gathered on the intercooler.

Quick Reply: 17 200t 8ar bolt-ons