Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Exhaust system replacement on an IS2500AWD 2009

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-22, 08:37 AM
Luc2
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Exhaust system replacement on an IS250AWD 2009

I am living near Montreal Canada, where winters are very cold and summers can also be very hot. My 2009 exhaust system has been repaired so many times with welding that now my mechanic tells me its time for a near total replacement. I saw a few replacements on the web. Is anybody installed any of theses, and are they good.
Please share with us your experience. If you had success, or failure .
1- Please show us an internet (link) where you purchased the parts.
2- Did you have any loss of power ?
3- Is the replacement parts created problems with the computer controlling the engine ?
4- Reliability so far ?
Thanks to all, who have experience and are willing to share with us.

Last edited by Luc2; 07-19-22 at 07:02 AM.
The following users liked this post:
othergames (12-07-22)
Old 07-18-22, 04:41 AM
Luc2
Rookie

Hi guys
I looked at the "related tread" section, where there are recommendations for using replacement parts from "Walker", The trouble is when you go to their site , they ask you to choose your car, and there is only one choice for the "2009 Lexus IS250", no option selection for the "2009 Lexus IS250 AWD". If I understand correctly the rear differential is the problerm requiring the exhaust tubings bends to avoid it. Is there anybody who can help me to understand ?
Thanks
Old 07-18-22, 08:39 AM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 774 Likes on 676 Posts

Originally Posted by Luc2
Hi guys
I looked at the "related tread" section, where there are recommendations for using replacement parts from "Walker", The trouble is when you go to their site , they ask you to choose your car, and there is only one choice for the "2009 Lexus IS250", no option selection for the "2009 Lexus IS250 AWD". If I understand correctly the rear differential is the problerm requiring the exhaust tubings bends to avoid it. Is there anybody who can help me to understand ?
Thanks
There is no good mid section for the AWD. I suggest you find a good exhaust shop to redo it. It will probably be a little cheaper. I'd keep the stock diameter around 2.25 inch. Then use stock rear cats, and stock resonator if still in good condition. This will keep cabin drone down.

The AWD midpipe has a bend on driver side to clear the front differential. That's the only difference.

Better yet buy a RWD, and let a muffler shop retro fit for AWD.

That's the only options I see. If I were to replace the midpipe.

Last edited by MikeFig82; 07-18-22 at 09:35 AM.
Old 07-18-22, 09:29 AM
Luc2
Rookie

MikeFig82 thanks for your quick response .
The big problem we have here is the garage owners are much more interested to sell you at high price parts than modify or build new parts to fix the problem, like they used to be many years ago. One shop ask me 5400$ cdn ( $4050 us) only for the part with the 2 mufflers and the attached pipes not even installed plus 15,5% sales tax . This is totally ridiculous.

Old 07-18-22, 09:40 AM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 774 Likes on 676 Posts

MikeFig82 thanks for your quick response .
The big problem we have here is the garage owners are much more interested to sell you at high price parts than modify or build new parts to fix the problem, like they used to be many years ago. One shop ask me 5400$ cdn ( $4050 us) only for the part with the 2 mufflers and the attached pipes not even installed plus 15,5% sales tax . This is totally ridiculous.

Man that really sucks. I feel you I had a good exhaust shop locally. The gentleman ended retiring a few years back, and sold the shop. He used to let me put my car on spare lift to check stuff out quickly during my lunch time. The shop was about a mile down the road.

So not even a mom and pop will do this work? Yeah times have definitely changed. Too many people want want to price gouge for minimal work.
Old 07-18-22, 10:48 AM
Luc2
Rookie

"Too many people want want to price gouge for minimal work."
Sadly true.............
Many shops had hydraulically powered "tube benders",now they say don't have them anymore. They make more money not doing the work than doing it..........
Old 10-07-22, 06:11 PM
Luc2
Rookie

Hi guys
After visiting my mechanic shop two days ago for normal maintenance, and body rust prevention spraying oil under the body every fall seasons,He checked my exhaust system for more leaks, having welded it a few months ago where it was leaking. After not finding any new ones he recommended we use a high temperature paints like the ones used for wood stove, to help protect it from more corrosion. Remembering that I live up north near the US / canada border where winters are very cold.
Are any of you had any success with such a practice ?
Thanks to all who will take the time to answer.
Old 10-17-22, 10:21 AM
Dozendirt
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey I’m in the same boat, the only awd midpipe exhaust I’ve found is this one. I’m still debating ordering this one for 700 vs an invidia rwd one for 400+ cut weld fee to mod it for awd
Old 10-17-22, 03:22 PM
Luc2
Rookie

HI
i haven't yet made my replacement, can you please write the link for the midpipe ?
Thanks
Old 10-17-22, 05:26 PM
Dozendirt
Driver School Candidate

HI
i haven't yet made my replacement, can you please write the link for the midpipe ?
Thanks
sorry I forgot to post it earlier. I’m thinking I may buy this one… still have some homework to do on it. I need to call the seller and ask what brand makes it.

https://www.hottexhaust.com/2006-201...kaAifAEALw_wcB
Old 10-17-22, 08:57 PM
Luc2
Rookie

Originally Posted by Dozendirt
sorry I forgot to post it earlier. I’m thinking I may buy this one… still have some homework to do on it. I need to call the seller and ask what brand makes it.

https://www.hottexhaust.com/2006-201...kaAifAEALw_wcB
Thanks a lot for the link.
Let us know, what will be your choice.
Old 10-18-22, 06:22 AM
Dozendirt
Driver School Candidate

Thanks a lot for the link.
Let us know, what will be your choice.
i did some research and found a an alarming amount of bad reviews on that website I linked you. Owner of the exhaust shop seems to take orders then ghost the customer.

Right now my focus is on the Megan mid pipe, in all it will be cheaper than oem, but I really don’t want an exhaust that’s too loud or has drone so I still have some research to do.

Also I may be able to go the route you mention on welding in a new piece of pipe. Initially I was against this because you lose volume when they bend pipes, and there’s no shops around me with a true mandrel bender.

my last option is to build one myself. With all the materials, pipe,o2bung, flanges, resonator, etc. i have it priced at 400$. My only draw back is that I don’t have a tig welder, only a mig. So I plan on getting some flux core steel wire and practice some welds to see if it’s something I’m confident enough in doing myself. Thankfully I have a car lift to make this project easier. My last resort for this option is to ask a welder from work to come do it once I have it all the pipe cut and fitted.

I’ll be sure to let you know what I do in the coming month or two.99% sure I won’t get the hottexhaust tho.
Old 10-18-22, 08:57 AM
Luc2
Rookie

Many thanks for stopping me to become another sore of their customers. I was a bit skeptical when on their site, the " installation guide" is not there anymore.

Concerning welding, the welds that I had done were mostly not in any bends. At one time the straight pipe leaking was so thin in that area that my mechanic split along its length a pipe to go over the leaking section, and with pliers close it back over the leaking pipe, and welded the new section both ends and along the split section. The only bad thing after 13 years on the ca, is the pipe sections of the original pipes are so thin that you can hear the sound of the engine at a higher pitch during driving.

Please keep posting...
Old 10-18-22, 02:40 PM
Dozendirt
Driver School Candidate

Many thanks for stopping me to become another sore of their customers. I was a bit skeptical when on their site, the " installation guide" is not there anymore.

Concerning welding, the welds that I had done were mostly not in any bends. At one time the straight pipe leaking was so thin in that area that my mechanic split along its length a pipe to go over the leaking section, and with pliers close it back over the leaking pipe, and welded the new section both ends and along the split section. The only bad thing after 13 years on the ca, is the pipe sections of the original pipes are so thin that you can hear the sound of the engine at a higher pitch during driving.

Please keep posting...

if your issue is only on a straight section then you can get some of the Jb weld exhaust putty to cover the leak, then wrap it in “tiger tape” or “tiger patch”, then use a joint butt coupler from Amazon.

I did this for a crack in my exhaust, it hasn’t leaked yet after a few months. My exhaust has another leak where this didn’t work. I may try to fashion a repair on it this weekend to buy me more time. I’ll let you know.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dozendirt:
Luc2 (04-27-23), Yodog (04-23-23)
Old 10-18-22, 06:29 PM
Luc2
Rookie

Interesting quick fix, for a temporary job. Like it
The following users liked this post:
Yodog (04-23-23)

Quick Reply: Exhaust system replacement on an IS2500AWD 2009