Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

NOS Kit...bad idea?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-04, 07:54 AM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: roecnic and jbear....

Originally posted by mp311mp
i have the inline 6, not the v8, so i presume, if any, i would run into a different bunch of problems, right??
and what other 'accessories' are MANDITORY if i purchace and install this kit?
thanks
Not really, I guess that would mean that you could disregard the #2 cyl from the back that Roenick was warning you about.

Nitrous is nitrous. It doesn't matter if you inject it into 2 cyls, 4, 6, or 8, you have to follow basic rules and then adapt to fit your particular needs. If you were in my area, I would let you read a book that will give you a ton of background knowledge about this. I'll tell you the name later tonight after I go home and give you exact name and author. I bought it at the bookstore and it's awesome.

Back to your stuff. I personally have had very good luck using NOS products and NX express products. I would highly recommend them. I see no reason why the new stuff will not be as good as previous model stuff. These guys have been around as long as nitrous has been used and they know their stuff.

Last edited by jmecbr900; 03-02-04 at 07:59 AM.
Old 03-02-04, 08:25 AM
SilverLexo
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: roecnic and jbear....

i have the inline 6, not the v8, so i presume, if any, i would run into a different bunch of problems, right??
and what other 'accessories' are MANDITORY if i purchace and install this kit?
thanks
Absolute mandatory accessories are technically not required at all to run nitrous, all you really need to spray is a bottle and lines to your intake, however it would be VERY STUPID to not have some or all of these:
Upgraded high pressure, high volume fuel pump
Wide open throttle switch
RPM switch
Fuel pressure switch
Air /Fuel manager (SAFCII, E-Mange, custom ECU flash, etc.)

Convenience Accessories:
Remote bottle opener
Bottle warmer
Purge kit
Blow down pipe
Bottle pressure gauge
Old 03-02-04, 11:55 AM
mp311mp
Rookie

Default thanks for all your help....

THIS IS ACCORDING DO NOS:
Like all NOS systems, The NOSzleTM systems are complete. The 08100NOS kit comes with 10lb bottle, Pro Shot Nitrous Solenoid, Cheater Fuel Solenoid, high pressure poly lines, brackets, fuel safety switch, electronic wide-open-throttle (WOT) switch, window switch, and all other wiring/hardware to make installation a snap.

-comes wit WOT switch
-ive read that unless youre doing <125 shot, a new beefed up fuel pump isnt necessary
-?whats an rmp switch?
-and exactly how will a fuel management system help....opposed to running all stock +NOS kit

i hope i dont sound like a cheapie... lol $1,200 for the kit alone shouldnt say that. I just dont want stuff i dont need.
Old 03-02-04, 12:40 PM
Lvangundy

Default Re: Re: roecnic and jbear....

Originally posted by jmecbr900
I'll tell you the name later tonight after I go home and give you exact name and author. I bought it at the bookstore and it's awesome.
Is it Sport Compact Nitrous by Joe Petitt?
Old 03-02-04, 01:34 PM
SilverLexo
Lead Lap

Default Re: thanks for all your help....

THIS IS ACCORDING DO NOS:
Like all NOS systems, The NOSzleTM systems are complete. The 08100NOS kit comes with 10lb bottle, Pro Shot Nitrous Solenoid, Cheater Fuel Solenoid, high pressure poly lines, brackets, fuel safety switch, electronic wide-open-throttle (WOT) switch, window switch, and all other wiring/hardware to make installation a snap.

-comes wit WOT switch
-ive read that unless youre doing <125 shot, a new beefed up fuel pump isnt necessary
-?whats an rmp switch?
-and exactly how will a fuel management system help....opposed to running all stock +NOS kit

i hope i dont sound like a cheapie... lol $1,200 for the kit alone shouldnt say that. I just dont want stuff i dont need.
OK, so it does have a lot more than the usual kit.
However, the $110 for a Walbro fuel pump will be well spent. You would hate to blow your motor because your stock fuel pump blows out when you are squeezing. (other gs owners have reported failed fuel pumps on this forum).

RPM switch is the same thing as a window switch. Only allows nitrous to flow within a set RPM range.

An AFC will help you to tune your motor and make sure you are not running lean or rich while spraying. Running lean will cause you to blow your motor.

Last edited by SilverLexo; 03-02-04 at 01:34 PM.
Old 03-02-04, 05:47 PM
mp311mp
Rookie

.......so fuel pump and fuel management system????
to tweak the fuel management system to it optimim setting im guessin this takes a ton of dyno runs and guess/check??

Last edited by mp311mp; 03-02-04 at 05:47 PM.
Old 03-02-04, 05:55 PM
SilverLexo
Lead Lap

.......so fuel pump and fuel management system????
to tweak the fuel management system to it optimim setting im guessin this takes a ton of dyno runs and guess/check??
Yeah, expect to pay upwards of $500 or more for tuning. See if you can find a friend or make a deal with someone for 10 dyno runs. Oh and they need to run it on a wideband O2 so you can see air/fuel ratios.
Old 03-03-04, 07:17 AM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Re: Re: roecnic and jbear....

Originally posted by Lvangundy
Is it Sport Compact Nitrous by Joe Petitt?
That is one of them, thank you.

The other one is even more in depth. I'll look for it tonight.
Old 03-03-04, 07:35 AM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

Very good advice Silver.

The stock fuel pump will tend to run out of steam when asked to double up its efforts. This is why it's a good idea to get a high performance fuel pump. They are specifically designed for this. For $100 something dollars, it's cheap insurance. BTW, there's an excellent article in last months Turbo mag that tested 9 different fuel pumps and explained very well the theory behind bigger pumps.

Other things that would also be wise to have are gauges to monitor the vitals of the system. EGT and FP are two that I would recommend. The EGT (Exhaust Gas Temp) will give you indications of lean conditions inside your engine by monitoring the temps of the exhaust. The higher the temps, the leaner the mix. The ideal would be to have the same readings while spraying as while not. In other words, what you are looking for here is for the car to have the same temp readings @WOT OFF the bottle as it does ON the bottle while spraying. A properly tuned system will do this. There are small variations, but this is the goal. If there is a big difference, there are problems. The FP gauge is smart because you can readily see if you have a drop in fuel pressure, which will obviously cause a lean situation and cause further problems. Both gauges should be able to be monitored at a glance while you are spraying. Autometer makes some excellent ones.

Another wise investment would also be the TC and tranny cooler. Running 100 shot of nitrous thru our cars can put substantial added stress on the tranny. The beefier TC can handle that w/o problems. A lot of us are using PI Dragon's 2800 stall TC. It has given me and many others great results. The tranny cooler is very basic insurance for the tranny. The lions share of transmission failures are caused by excessive heat. A $50 tranny cooler can help prolong the life of a $2000 tranny. Cheap insurance if you ask me.
Old 03-03-04, 09:10 AM
Lvangundy

If you can get the name of the more indepth book I'd love to pick it up. I have both revisions of the Joe Petitt book, read through it and it's pretty interesting.
Old 03-03-04, 11:29 AM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Lvangundy
If you can get the name of the more indepth book I'd love to pick it up. I have both revisions of the Joe Petitt book, read through it and it's pretty interesting.
I'll look for it tonight.