Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Can someone explain the difference, if any between air filters for the factory air bo

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-22, 09:47 AM
Xzon
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Can someone explain the difference, if any between air filters for the factory air bo

So I have a 2001 GS430 and I'd like to gain any performance possible. I know everyone says to stick with the stock intake since it's the best performance and temperature wise. But there's all kinds of different brands of air filters that vary greatly in price and I was wondering what the actual difference is in these filters?

​​​​ I got my eye on this BLITZ brand filter that's blue. I know HKS also makes one and K&N makes a red one. Is there any actual difference in quality or composition, or are they genuinely all the same with no noticeable difference?

Also, are aftermarket cold air intakes genuinely all worse than the factory intake? I know BLITZ, HPS and a couple other brands make some but do they really give less in terms of performance?

As always, TIA for all the help. I love coming to this forum because everyone always has answers and are willing to help.
Old 11-20-22, 12:08 PM
bbmach
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

You'll get as many different answers to this, as there are air filter choices.

I have a few cars… with K&N filters on two. The third one is my GS400 and I took the K&N filter out as it needed cleaning, and put a stock one in for the time being. No difference.

The only time you’ll see an improvement in any aftermarket part is when the original one is a limiting factor in producing power. In regards to our GSs, the factory airbox and filter, and, for the most part, exhaust are not, until you make other changes.
Now, if your goal is something different, like looks and/or sound, then it’s a different story. But keep in mind, the K&N and others of the same type may ultimately flow better (needed or not), they will certainly not filter the air as well.

Old 02-12-23, 04:35 AM
Choppz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Intake and exhaust preference is exactly that... Sound preference. Could you get a couple HP yea maybe. Don't listen to others as well. If you want to try something DO IT. I have a custom intake with a 7inch inlet filter. HUGE sound difference
Old 04-12-23, 06:20 AM
dwoods801
Instructor

Received 261 Likes on 214 Posts

Do you think the red gives any performance advantages over the blue? Or which color gives the best hp increase?