Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Nor Cal Exhaust Competition V8 Release

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-03, 09:31 PM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder. Would the JIC Bullet Spartan sound the same on the GS?? Anyone know where to get and about how much??

I too was suprised no L-tuned or Borlas.

BTW, Mad props to the gang for puttin' this together!!!

Last edited by Blanco; 10-29-03 at 09:32 PM.
Old 11-05-03, 04:10 PM
dnguyen_GS430
Driver

I want to say thanks to those who voted for me to win the V8 exhaust competition. The XM radio is great. Thanks to the sponsor.

BTW, I finally upgraded and installed the new Daizan Sway Bars. It made one heck of a different. I did it in stages so the sway bars made the most different.

Thanks again.
Old 11-06-03, 03:22 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

JIC represented well. Sounded the deepest, lowest and the meanest out of all
Old 11-06-03, 08:05 PM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Cool

Originally posted by retrodrive
JIC represented well. Sounded the deepest, lowest and the meanest out of all

YEAH, what he said!!
Old 11-08-03, 10:01 AM
garnet92
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up Nicely Done!

All of the CL’ers that were a part of putting this together deserve a toast of the single malt. They obviously put a lot of effort into making the video, as well as editing and making it available. A nicely done piece of work – you guys get a tip of Garnet’s gimmie cap.

It is hard to believe that a meet is held without L-Tuned or Borla being represented – how did that happen???? Although I’m personally not in the market for exhaust, If I were, I would like to hear a few seconds of idle and midrange sounds as well as wot.

The sounds are the next best thing to being there for someone looking for a system. You really shouldn’t buy a system without seeing and hearing what’s available. The sound is so important to many of us, I wouldn’t want to end up with something that sounded like a 4cyl Honda ricer.

Will the DVD show the other Lex’s that attended? Be interested in seeing the whole meet turnout. BTW, kudos to the graphic designer too!
Old 11-10-03, 11:41 AM
racelex
Driver School Candidate

I have the HKS on mine, and they are alot louder.
Old 11-10-03, 01:38 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default DVD RELEASE SOON !

Originally posted by garnet92
All of the CL’ers that were a part of putting this together deserve a toast of the single malt. They obviously put a lot of effort into making the video, as well as editing and making it available. A nicely done piece of work – you guys get a tip of Garnet’s gimmie cap.

It is hard to believe that a meet is held without L-Tuned or Borla being represented – how did that happen???? Although I’m personally not in the market for exhaust, If I were, I would like to hear a few seconds of idle and midrange sounds as well as wot.

The sounds are the next best thing to being there for someone looking for a system. You really shouldn’t buy a system without seeing and hearing what’s available. The sound is so important to many of us, I wouldn’t want to end up with something that sounded like a 4cyl Honda ricer.

Will the DVD show the other Lex’s that attended? Be interested in seeing the whole meet turnout. BTW, kudos to the graphic designer too!
Thanks Garnet. The meet committee and especially Jawnthen did a lot to make this event and the video happen.

As far as what systems competed, that was up to the contestants to enter what they got. The only limitation we had, was that no two identical systems could compete.

Your suggestions for listening at idle, mid, etc. were considered, but in the interest of time and simplicity, we decided to make it a freestyle type of display. We spent more time setting up the exhaust competition than any other task we had. The meet comittee toiled for about a week to agree on a process, procedure and criteria. Rominl finally had to write up an instruction form, just so we could finalize it. As far as we know, there has never been an exhaust competiton like this before, so we were in un-chartered territory. I'm sure next year we will take suggestions like yours and make it better.

You are right that people should hear/see an exhaust before buying. For those fortunate to be present, they were able to make better decisions about exhausts. Determining the "winner" was almost a secondary objective, as the contestants showing off their systems and the spectators enjoying listening and cheering for them was just as important.

The video truly doesn't do justice as does being there. The next best thing will be playing the high res DVD through a good audio system and sub. Next year we will look into getting a high-end recording system to capture the full frequency response and tonal quality of the exhausts. Camcorder mics don't cut it.

The DVD will include a full screen AC-3: 2.0 stereo version of the two exhaust competitions. The meet video will show most of the cars at the meet, plus additional footage was shot of several cars that attended (post meet) , which included rolling action footage to give some of that "Fast N Furious" effect. It will basically look like the preview video here but be a full length version:
http://mixtape.home.comcast.net/norC...deoPreview.htm

The additional footage took 3 weeks to complete. plus another 3 weeks to edit and print. We hope the wait will be worth it for those who would like to purchase the video. How much?? Well it will be a nominal fee, but at this point we haven't looked into the cost of duplication services, payment options and order management & fulfillment. Don't ask me any more specifics because we haven't figured that out yet.

I will post the "Official" release of the DVD next week if all this is figured out by then.

More details to follow.
Old 09-12-10, 04:05 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 387 Likes on 228 Posts

Old thread, I know, but you wouldn't happen to still have this video to upload via youtube, would you?
Old 09-13-10, 01:04 AM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

I left a message for Jawnthen if he can load it up to youtube.

First he has to find it. Take note that he has since moved 3 times and several hard drives ago, since this vid was posted. It may take some time, so I'll post "if" he can find it.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 09-13-10 at 10:33 AM.
Old 09-13-10, 01:30 PM
FLIPMOE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1UZ-GS
Old thread, I know, but you wouldn't happen to still have this video to upload via youtube, would you?
You talkin about this one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s37yuIZYPM
Old 09-13-10, 02:40 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

7 years later, people still asking for it. I remember looking at that video. awesome
Old 09-14-10, 12:43 AM
jawnthen
Lead Lap

heh nice to know its still out there somewhere and ppl still want to see it.

I couldn't find the quicktimes I uploaded but I found the mpg and ac3 files used to create the DVD. I'm not sure if Final Cut will edit an ac3 file. But anyways, the youtube is decent quality. If there's interest for a higher quality copy on the web, I could look into converting the files I got.
Old 09-14-10, 12:44 AM
jawnthen
Lead Lap

btw, I just watched the vid again and I'm still digging the way the JIC sounds.
Old 09-22-10, 05:17 PM
tom steele
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my rmm exsuast is louder than that but i think it because the guy before me took the cats out and just welded the outer covers on a pipe to make it look like there's cats. i plan on putting some real ones on but after this i might not i like the way it sounds now.