Photoshop Forum The place to photoshop rims, bodykits and etc. for your Lexus or other automobile.

how to resize pics down to 100kb

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-05, 12:51 PM
superpats
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to resize pics down to 100kb

I'm not a very computer literate person but know enough to usually get by. Well my problem is i'm trying to post pix but they are way to large around 600kb. How can I get them down to 100kb? Can someone please help maybe I can just e-mail pics and they can resize for me??
Old 06-30-05, 02:50 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 432 Likes on 300 Posts

I usually just open the image in Paint, and click Edit > Stretch/skew > then I enter percentages based on the existing size of the image. If the image is 500 kb, to get it down to 100, I type 50% for width, 50% for length (always the same percentage for both so as to not distort the image), and then resave the image and recheck the size. Then I repeat, and make a smaller adjustment until I'm sure I'm under 100kb. Call it a roundabout way or whatever, it works for me and only takes about 20 seconds per image.
Old 06-30-05, 02:52 PM
darden
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it depends on what type of software you have. most imaging software will allow you to perform the following functions to reduce file size.

1. Reduce Image Size: For example, reduce a 1280 pixels by 1024 image to 800 x 600.

2. Reduce the Image Resolution: Scanners these days scan at high resolution to retain quality of the prints such as 200 dpi or 300 dpi. however, images for the web only need to be 72 dpi. so you can reduce the image resolution to reduce file size. this will dramatically decrease the file size if you start with a high resolution.

3. if your image is a bitmap image (.bmp), you need to save it as a JPEG (.jpg or .jpeg) image. JPG files are much smaller than the bmp even though they are the same picture. JPG is the standard format for web display. The quailty of the image is not compromised much. you may also convert the file to GIF which may also decrease the size, but GIFs are not as sharp as JPEGs.

anyways, that should do it. you can use any of the above or all the techniques mentioned above to reduce the file size of an image.

if you are just posting on CL, remember you can always upload your image (large or small) to your gallery and then link the image in your post.

Originally Posted by superpats
I'm not a very computer literate person but know enough to usually get by. Well my problem is i'm trying to post pix but they are way to large around 600kb. How can I get them down to 100kb? Can someone please help maybe I can just e-mail pics and they can resize for me??