RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

15' 350 f sport RWD rear wheel hub assembly replacement. Any tips or suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-24, 07:41 PM
Giangsturh
Pit Crew

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
Default 15' 350 f sport RWD rear wheel hub assembly replacement. Any tips or suggestions?

Hey everyone. I'm gonna tackle to replace the rear passenger wheel hub assembly for the first time. It's making noise when going at speeds past 35 mph and gets louder than my Remark axle back muffler. Any one has any tips/suggestions of what I should do before the replacement? I know about the ABS sensor needs to be removed before the pull and the ridiculous 4 Hex bolts <<<< why? What about this dust shield around the bearing? Does it pop off or stays on when the hub is removed? The car is already on jack stands and just looking at it is pretty discouraging to do. Another thing, I may have to get an alignment because i know the tires are being eating inside as if i'm running a negative camber. Stock suspension if anybody is wondering.

108K miles on it so far. I do my own maintenance.
Old 10-02-24, 08:23 PM
Viperx
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here ya go
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
REAR AXLE HUB removal.pdf (441.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: pdf
REAR AXLE HUB install.pdf (213.9 KB, 5 views)
Old 10-03-24, 06:04 AM
Giangsturh
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Viperx
Here ya go
oh wow! Thanks!
Old 10-03-24, 10:01 AM
Viperx
Driver School Candidate

Pm me if you need any other part of the shop manual
Old 10-03-24, 05:58 PM
Giangsturh
Pit Crew

Pm me if you need any other part of the shop manual
thanks again! The only issue is about that dust shield. I don't have a hydraulic press. Does someone know if this a requirement to be removed?
Old 10-03-24, 10:24 PM
Viperx
Driver School Candidate

Honestly youre better off buying the entire knuckle >> easier than doing only the bearing. At some point I pay for sanity and convenience. Could I do a brake and rotor change on all 4? Yes. Do I want to? Hell naw.

If its only the rear right I'd save myself the trouble of trying to press it. The amount of time and struggle youll prob face is either worth a mechanic taking care of it or just paying for the knuckle and take the easy way out.

I have my toe set to 0 in the rear and my tires have been wearing pretty even so far. I also basically had 7 alignments this year alone.
The following users liked this post:
Giangsturh (10-03-24)
Old 10-03-24, 10:40 PM
Giangsturh
Pit Crew

Honestly youre better off buying the entire knuckle >> easier than doing only the bearing. At some point I pay for sanity and convenience. Could I do a brake and rotor change on all 4? Yes. Do I want to? Hell naw.

If its only the rear right I'd save myself the trouble of trying to press it. The amount of time and struggle youll prob face is either worth a mechanic taking care of it or just paying for the knuckle and take the easy way out.

I have my toe set to 0 in the rear and my tires have been wearing pretty even so far. I also basically had 7 alignments this year alone.
man that's crazy. Thanks for the tip!
Old Yesterday, 05:02 PM
Giangsturh
Pit Crew

Update. 7 hours in and finally got the stupid wheel hub assembly out. The hardest part is the tight space to get the 10mm hex bolt loose. I'll probably do the other half tomorrow.
Old Yesterday, 10:37 PM
CLightning
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Giangsturh
Update. 7 hours in and finally got the stupid wheel hub assembly out. The hardest part is the tight space to get the 10mm hex bolt loose. I'll probably do the other half tomorrow.
Did you have to get the dust deflector pressed in? I read that the same dust deflector installation on a Lexus IS is a PITA which requires a hyrdraulic press.
Old Yesterday, 10:41 PM
Giangsturh
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by CLightning
Did you have to get the dust deflector pressed in? I read that the same dust deflector installation on a Lexus IS is a PITA which requires a hyrdraulic press.
I'm gonna have to double check on that. I tried not to mess with it.
Old Today, 12:03 PM
Giangsturh
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by CLightning
* UPDATE * after 4 and a half hours of work to put the hub assembly in, which was A PITA, IT WORKS! No more noise. The dust deflector remained intact so I didn't have to press it in. I just gotta go back and torque the axle nut or buy a new one. This work was by far the hardest thing I've ever done because of the tight space I had to work through. Getting a stupid long 10mm hex key and trying to find the head was the most frustrating part ever. I was going to replace the brake pads too but for some reason, one of the pads was a bit too thick and I couldn't slide it through the rotor. I'll just take that to the shop and I'll pay the money. Screw it. My patience just wore me out and all I ever wanted to do was to replace the hub. I'm not mechanic savvy but I can get around. Total work time, 13 and a half hours. Nothing but hands tools. Will I attempt this job again if the rear hub goes out? BIG NO. it was quite an experience though. Difficulty 8/10.