Search this Thread

Old 01-11-14, 01:19 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
it is funny :-)
Hilarious more like it lol

This technology is not the only reason this car still has a V8. Lexus does not need to worry about CAFE standards like MB or BMW do because they have high MPG Toyotas contributing to the average MPG.
Old 01-11-14, 01:26 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, possibly there will be RC350 soon, which will be sold in USA (not in Europe) and RC200t and RC300h might follow few months later.

MT had all the info, it is awesome update, just the block remained the same.... it is very high tech engine. Nobody is talking about technology or anything else, kind of disappointing.

480 hp
Cylinder heads and all moving parts are completely new in the V8
7300 rpm redline
Atkinson cycle while cruising, displacement effectively lowered to 4.2l in this mode.
12.3:1 compression
Torque Vectoring Differential (TVD)
15" Brembos, 4 pistons at back
Thanks for the heads up to MotorTrend's more in-depth write-up (do help link to the article). The RC-F does look to be a very major step up from the IS-F in every aspect indeed. But I do wonder where MT got the 480hp figure from, since most earlier reports including MT's said it would sport a 460hp V8.

e.g.
http://lexusenthusiast.com/2013/12/3...horsepower-v8/
Old 01-11-14, 02:38 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 163 Likes on 121 Posts

it is possible that invitation didnt want to say 480... or possibly, 480 is japanese output vs US SAE HP.
Old 01-11-14, 08:38 PM
madfast
Driver

you are not going to accelerate from the stop at WOT unless you want to do a burnout... this thing has almost 500hp.

and yes, you go crazy about 300lbs extra and then you want to accelerate with 120-150hp less because you want to save fuel.

it is funny :-)
A switch to electric phasing on all four cams brings greater variability and precision, and lets the engine borrow the Prius' more efficient Atkinson cycle operation during low-demand cruising conditions.

sounds like atkinson cycle is used only during cruising. im saying it'd be cool if they made eco mode atkinson all the time. for example accelerating after a red light. not WOT, just general accelerating. again, who doesnt want more mpg for city driving? yes i want a lighter car with a lot of power, but if they can also give me a gas sipping mode for city driving, then all the better...

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Hilarious more like it lol

This technology is not the only reason this car still has a V8. Lexus does not need to worry about CAFE standards like MB or BMW do because they have high MPG Toyotas contributing to the average MPG.
“That V8 is a little difficult to meet Euro 6,” Junichiro Furuyama, the 2013 IS’ chief engineer told TMR, referring to the current IS F's 5.0 litre 2UR-GSE engine.

“The engine has a high performance focus, so the combustion condition is more severe than normal engines. It’s a little more difficult than making the V6 engines comply with Euro 6."

“To produce more power and torque it runs leaner. That is the problem. We probably need a new engine for the F model.”

coincidence that this V8 has this atkinson cycle tech? i think not....
Old 01-11-14, 10:05 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Would be pretty bad *** if the RCF has 500hp
Old 01-12-14, 07:36 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Originally Posted by madfast
sounds like atkinson cycle is used only during cruising. im saying it'd be cool if they made eco mode atkinson all the time. for example accelerating after a red light. not WOT, just general accelerating. again, who doesnt want more mpg for city driving? yes i want a lighter car with a lot of power, but if they can also give me a gas sipping mode for city driving, then all the better...
When is the last time you heard a conversation about an M3 or M4's city gas mileage as a detriment?

Anybody who would say "I would have bought the RC-F but the gas mileage is too bad" is someone the car would have been wasted on in the first place.
Old 01-12-14, 06:37 PM
madfast
Driver

When is the last time you heard a conversation about an M3 or M4's city gas mileage as a detriment?

Anybody who would say "I would have bought the RC-F but the gas mileage is too bad" is someone the car would have been wasted on in the first place.
its not about being a detriment, its about having another feature no one else has. nobody said mpg was a deal breaker like you're making it out to be.
Old 01-12-14, 09:29 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

umm i am not sure about that. flipping the coin and i have heard a lot of isf owners saying that they got the isf over the m3 coz' it has better gas mileage (which i think is pretty silly as well)
Old 01-12-14, 11:30 PM
eoph
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by rominl
umm i am not sure about that. flipping the coin and i have heard a lot of isf owners saying that they got the isf over the m3 coz' it has better gas mileage (which i think is pretty silly as well)
Dunno about the M3, but it gets way better gas mileage than a C63 AMG.
Old 01-12-14, 11:50 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Both still get slapped with gas guzzler tax. Guess which high performance sedan doesn't?

Hint : starts with I, ends with F

Old 01-13-14, 05:28 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 163 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
sure, thats why Lexus has made new V8 even more fuel efficient... BUT, that should not be confused eco mode that limits your HP in a performance sedan... that makes no sense at all.
Old 01-13-14, 06:36 AM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

I like the regular RC350 interior

Old 01-13-14, 07:32 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by yowps3
I like the regular RC350 interior

Thanks for changing the subject.
All the talk about mpg made me think I was on a Prius forum.
We want Lexus cars with luxury, sport and power. For those with gas mileage as your big thing, look elsewhere.

As with most new Lexus cars, I like this RC mostly but some things don't sit well with me. The interior being one. It's nice but looks too much like the IS cars. I would rather it look more like the GS. I want this car to be more of a GS coupe than an IS coupe.
So far I'm seeing IS characteristics more than GS.
Old 01-13-14, 12:45 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

it is possible that invitation didnt want to say 480... or possibly, 480 is japanese output vs US SAE HP.
I was going to say the same thing but Japanese metric 480 PS = 473 US SAE HP. It doesn't add up.
Old 01-13-14, 01:12 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by eoph
Dunno about the M3, but it gets way better gas mileage than a C63 AMG.
no doubt, c63 eats gas like no tomorrow, the 6.2l doesn't help at all. m3 isn't bad, i avg 16 on mine over 3 years

Originally Posted by natnut
Both still get slapped with gas guzzler tax. Guess which high performance sedan doesn't?

Hint : starts with I, ends with F

see this exactly falls into the "if anyone cares about gas mileage" talk. for most real buyers in this segment, paying close to 70k for a high performance car, do you think they really care that much for another grand or so on the gas guzzler? please get real already, it surely didn't even pain me a tiny bit when i was shopping.

of course, i am not saying it's not a plus, it absolutely is. just like having better gas mileage. but it goes back to what the actual capable buyers really care about, sort of in line to what SW13GS said and i absolutely agree.

and the pissing contest can continue if people start digging into this. lexus doesn't have gas guzzler but with the m3 purchase i got free m driving school. so where does it end?

sure, thats why Lexus has made new V8 even more fuel efficient... BUT, that should not be confused eco mode that limits your HP in a performance sedan... that makes no sense at all.
please don't get me wrong, i am not saying this is a valid reason for eco mode at wot and such at all. i was just purely replying to SW13GS's post that more isf owners seem to focus on gas mileage more than he thought. to me i don't care about eco mode at wot, i don't care about gas mileage, i don't care about gas guzzler. if i were to shop for such a performance car, i want one thing -- performance

Quick Reply: Official Lexus RC thread