RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

Official Lexus RC thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-13, 10:57 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I am just praying that when they bring this GSF to market that it have equal HP to the M5. In this arena HP is crucial. Balance is great but in this particular segment people want POWER !! We know they are going to make this thing handle but.....
Old 07-29-13, 11:30 AM
ISF350
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Look at that wheel gap!

4" to 6" gap is lexus standard out the gate. hahaha; but it can be fixed not a problem.
At least, it nice to see the finally GS F and the soon IS F will also be coming.
Old 07-29-13, 11:52 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

^^^

I keed because it's on a lift.
Old 07-29-13, 01:37 PM
ISF350
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if it not on the lift it would be at least 4" gap standard. There is no problem to stick the whole hand in there. See the red car front wheel gap below and it is same for all new IS line up . Lexus never want it look flush I guess !
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...right-now.html
Old 07-30-13, 01:19 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I found an interesting piece! http://translate.googleusercontent.c...N-uPoZBXgkz1kQ
This says bestcar magazine in Japan speaks of a Lexus RC-F GT3! To possibly be introduced at the Tokyo Motor Show!? We'll see in a few months.
Old 08-05-13, 04:02 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default Imagining the 2015 Lexus RC F

Using recent spy photos as inspiration, Top Speed has tried recreating the Lexus RC F without camouflage — here’s the full image, including reference:

It’s a decent attempt overall, but there’s a softness to the design that doesn’t hit the right points for an F model — the headlights in particular don’t have the sharpness and definition I’d expect.

What do you think, yay or nay?

http://lexusenthusiast.com/2013/08/0...15-lexus-rc-f/
Old 08-05-13, 04:28 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default 2015 Lexus IS F Coupe

When Lexus lifted the veiled from the 2014 IS, we had a feeling that a coupe variant was on the way. Though the coupe was a no-brainer, the F variant was a little more uncertain.

Well, we received some confirmation on both models today, as our spy shooters caught an IS F Coupe out and about testing, . From the looks of things, Lexus is planning to really ramp up its competition with BMW and its upcoming M4.

So, how exactly do know that this is no ordinary IS Coupe? We can answer that query quite simply: despite the heavy camouflage, we can still see the aggressive front end with big air intakes on the corners, a hood scoop and a four-end-pipe exhaust system.

For now, we really don’t know Lexus’ plans with the IS F Coupe, but rumors suggested that the it could drop the 5.0-liter V-8 engine in favor of a totally new, naturally aspirated or turbocharged engine. No matter the engine, you can rest assured that it will have to deliver at least 450 horsepower in order to make it the IS F competitive against the Bimmer M4.

We anticipate seeing the new Lexus IS F Coupe sometime in 2014.

Updated 07/30/2013: Today we have created a very cool rendering for the upcoming IS F Coupe — AKA RC F. Click past the jump to learn more about it.

Rendering

In developing our rendering for the next IS F Coupe we used design elements seen on the LF-CC Concept and combined them with elements revealed by the spy shots. We have tried to make the sports coupe as sporty as any other Lexus F model you’ve seen in the past.

Spy shots

Despite the heavy camouflage, it’s easy to notice that the IS F Coupe has a more aggressive front end, that boasts larger air intakes on each end of the bumper and a slightly revised grille insert. A small hood scoop is also visible on this test car, making it crystal clear that this is no standard IS F.

The prototype rides on multi-spoke wheels combined with large, slotted brake rotors, big brake calipers.

For the rear, it gets a quad-tip exhaust setup along with a modest, pop-up spoiler on the trunk lid. The rear photos also show us that the fenders on this coupe are much wider than on the regular IS.

Competitors

BMW M4 Coupe

The M version of the new BMW 4 Series Coupe is expected to hit the auto show circuit sometime near the end of 2013. When compared to the base version, the upcoming M4 will feature a more aggressive look, distinguished by the usual M-design elements, like the aggressive front bumper, LED headlights, a wide track and different side air intakes.

Under the hood, rumors are pointing toward the M4 using an S55 3.0-liter in-line six-cylinder engine with an output of 415 horsepower.

Audi RS5

When it comes to sports coupe models, the RS5 is definitely near the top of our list of favorites. It is powered by a 4.2-liter FSI V-8 engine that delivers 450 horsepower at 8,250 rpm and a peak torque of 316 pound-feet available between 4,000 and 6,000 rpm. It can sprint from 0 to 60 mph in 4.5 seconds and goes up to 174 mph without the speed limiter.

History

The first-gen Lexus IS lineup hit the market in 2001 when the IS 300 hit dealerships with its sights squarely focused on the 3 Series Sedan. With a 215-horsepower, 3.0-liter six-cylinder, the IS was more than competent and its looks were right in line with its German rival.

In 2006, Lexus redesigned the IS lineup and changed the powertrain. Now there were two engines available: a 2.5-liter V-6 with 204 horsepower and a 3.5-liter V-6 with 306 horsepower. This engine change also brought a name change to the IS 250 and IS 350.

In 2008, Lexus released the IS F and its fire-breathing 5.0-liter V-8 engine that pumped out 415 horsepower and sprinted the mighty Lexus to 60 mph in just 4.8 seconds. Additionally, the IS F features a stiffer performance suspension, a more aggressive appearance and 19-inch wheels to help complete the package.

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/lexus/2...#ixzz2b8kbuHEg
Old 08-05-13, 05:12 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,516 Likes on 1,655 Posts

haha, that 1IS looks like a yugo in comparison to new cars!

still, it was great for its time.
Old 08-05-13, 11:47 PM
IceIridium
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

That M4 render is "FAPPABLE" as them kids would say.

Speaking of the RS5, I don't know why people complain about the likelihood that Lexus is continuing with a tweaked version of the IS-F engine in the RC-F? (If it really is that engine, which sounds like it). It's a great engine. The RS5 uses a tweaked version of the 4.2L which dates way back to the 2006 B7 RS4, which in itself was a reworked version of the 4.2L from the 2003 B6 S4. (Hopefully I got my facts straight, but you get the idea). So it's basically a DECADE old engine design.

So Lexus may be using an upgraded version of an engine that was first debuted in 2008, and suddenly people are all like OMG OLD ENGINE! TOYOTA IS CUTTING CORNERS... wth?

Last edited by IceIridium; 08-05-13 at 11:50 PM.
Old 08-06-13, 12:30 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 163 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by IceIridium
That M4 render is "FAPPABLE" as them kids would say.

Speaking of the RS5, I don't know why people complain about the likelihood that Lexus is continuing with a tweaked version of the IS-F engine in the RC-F? (If it really is that engine, which sounds like it). It's a great engine. The RS5 uses a tweaked version of the 4.2L which dates way back to the 2006 B7 RS4, which in itself was a reworked version of the 4.2L from the 2003 B6 S4. (Hopefully I got my facts straight, but you get the idea). So it's basically a DECADE old engine design.

So Lexus may be using an upgraded version of an engine that was first debuted in 2008, and suddenly people are all like OMG OLD ENGINE! TOYOTA IS CUTTING CORNERS... wth?
it happens a lot... Camry got new engine in 2009 and people were expecting all new in 2012.

I guess Toyota should change code number and call it all new.

:-)
Old 08-06-13, 01:19 AM
UpSideDown
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vh_Supra26
Thats an ugly looking car.
Old 08-06-13, 06:04 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Man that prototype coupe looks ...... Well ...... Not nearly as nice as I'd hoped . Looks like an Altima coupe with a Lexus grille and IS headlights

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup
Old 08-06-13, 07:32 PM
robloc93
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Man that prototype coupe looks ...... Well ...... Not nearly as nice as I'd hoped . Looks like an Altima coupe with a Lexus grille and IS headlights

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup
Good thing it's only a rendering
Old 08-10-13, 08:20 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Thanks to corradoMR2 over on the 3rd Gen IS sub-forum :

Scoop: The all-new Lexus RC and RC F
For the RC F, 455 HP and 8 Speeds Wrapped in Carbon Fiber

Ever since spy pictures surfaced of this new Lexus coupe testing at the famed Nurburgring in late July, rumors have been swirling that this is the new IS coupe.

Not so.

It's the all-new RC, Lexus' challenge to the new BMW 4 Series. We cornered a Lexus insider just after the Nurburgring photos were taken and managed to extract the story.

From the RC's three powertrains to the flagship RC F's 455-hp, 5.0-liter V-8; from the RC F's carbon-fiber body parts and LFA-inspired handling to its eight-speed transmission, here's the full story, including an artist's impression of what the raunchy RC F will look like.

Slated for an autumn 2014 introduction, the new RC (stands for Racing Coupe!) and its RC F big brother will be the most exciting model to ever emerge from Lexus's lineup by far. Sure, the V-10-powered,$400,000 Lexus LFA supercar ranked sky-high in the excitement stakes, but you needed your own hedge fund to afford one.

The RC draws the essence from the LFA, mixes it with the best from the IS, and adds an eye-opening engine lineup that will cater to all tastes. The RC lineup will land in Lexus showrooms late next year for around $40,000, while the fire-breathing RC F will be priced a little north of $100,000.

Draped in a newly penned exterior that borrows lines and surfaces from the LF-CC concept that debuted at the 2012 Paris auto show, the RC gets a brand-new body, a revised wheelbase shorter than that of the IS, and a new spindle grille to distinguish it from the IS.

Meanwhile, the flagship RC F employs carbon-fiber parts including the hood, roof, and trunklid. Oh, and that hood scoop has nothing to do with induction. Our insider tells us the intake sucks air in and channels it to the underbody, where it improves the car's downforce. The RC F also gets a speed-sensitive automatic rear spoiler adapted from the LFA, suspension settings 15mm lower than the RC, and other aerodynamic tweaks learned from the LFA that will allow the RC F to clear 186 mph.

The RC F sits on a new chassis with a reinforced subframe and Sachs monotube shock absorbers, special control-arm rear suspension, uprated coil springs and stabilizers, a specially tuned Lexus Dynamic Handling system, and 19-inch BBS wheels with Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 rubber. Co-developed by Brembo and Lexus, the brake system will employ six pistons on the front and a four-piston setup on the rear with slotted rotors all-round.

Now comes the tastiest part: the engines. In addition to the V-8 in the flagship RC F, the RC lineup has a new turbocharged 2.0-liter, a 2.5-liter hybrid and a 3.5-liter V-6 with Torsen LSD.

We're going to focus mainly on the RC F, given its implications. Powered by a 5.0-liter V-8, the RC F generates 455-hp at 6800 rpm and 401 lb-ft of torque at 5200 rpm. Our insider also reveals that the RC F will clear strict new Euro-6 emissions regulations. To achieve that, the RC F will incorporate Lexus' (and Toyota's) first-ever cylinder deactivation technology in which four cylinders will be shut down during high-speed cruising. The RC F will also incorporate a paddle-shifted, eight-speed, three-mode (Normal, Sport, and Snow) automated manual transmission called Sports Direct Shift borrowed and revised from the IS F. It's also fitted with an advanced fuel supply system and race-tuned exhaust for a beefier note.

Inside, the RC F will employ bucket seats co-developed by Recaro and Lexus, as well as loads of carbon and polished aluminum trim.

Toyota spent hundreds of millions of dollars establishing a specialized LFA factory at its Motomachi plant in Toyota City, and hand-picked 175 engineers and designers to build the supercar. The staff was temporarily relocated (the last LFA was made on December 14, 2012), but it'll be back again early next year.

The car also benefits from knowhow gained from racing at the Nurburgring with the Lexus IS F CCS-R race spec, which undercut the production IS F's curb weight by some 650 pounds. We can look forward to seeing race versions of the RC F on tracks from Suzuka to Nurburgring to Laguna Seca as new internationally standardized Europe-Japan-U.S. race regulations come into play by 2017.

Expect to see the RC F flagship unveiled at the Detroit auto show in January, with the three other RCs debuting in April at the New York auto show with a planned on-sale date of September 2014.

Toyota CEO Akio Toyoda has been talking about a Lexus sports car for the masses for a couple of years now. With the base RC's entry price of around $40,000, you could say it's finally here… almost.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/future/con...#ixzz2bcv0Xhec

Looks like a baby LFA.
Old 08-10-13, 09:12 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 171 Likes on 102 Posts

Finally some good info on what's been teasing us. I like everything I see and read. However, surprised they reverted back to the old-style 2IS rims, and was expecting more horses for the F model. Base engines sound great and should prove efficient. It's a shame the 3IS did not arrive with these out of the gate. It could have been car of the year with updated powertrains.

Quick Reply: Official Lexus RC thread