RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

Official Lexus RC thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-13, 12:01 AM
dmvp29
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by madfast
the problem is not the GS350, its the GS450h. they expected people to buy a V6 hybrid as a V8 replacement, but that didnt happen. the GSF is going to be the V8 GS that the 450h had no chance of replacing. once you think of this car that way, you can understand why they are sticking with the 5L V8. they are NOT competing with the M5/RS6/E AMG. lexus knows they dont have a chance in that segement. the people who buy those kinda cars will buy them for the badge, not the quality of the car itself. instead imo lexus is trying to make a car like the E60 M5. that was a great car and if lexus can make a driver's car like that, and not the twin turbo monsters the germans have now, then i say
Nah, I wouldn't say that.

The people who care about badge recognition are generally those who are insecure about their money and thus want to project. The people who are insecure about their money don't have a lot of money to begin with and buy these cars used or maybe splurge on a once in a lifetime 3 year lease on one of these cars. Think about "that guy" that drives around in a $45,000 used BMW 7 series or leases one to enjoy the experience for a few years at which point he'll downgrade to a car that's more appropriate for his budget.

This isn't the intended market for the M5/RS6/etc.

This market is really geared towards people who care about value. They want the best combination of luxury, performance, aesthetics, reliability, etc. for their money, although the extent to which one weighs these criteria will vary from person to person.

IMO the GSF will be a flop, but not for the reasons you mentioned. It'll be a flop because 465 HP flat out won't cut it in this segment. If priced appropriately, the GSF will exist in a niche segment slightly above the likes of a 550i. 465 HP isn't M5/E63 territory. It has nothing to do with badge recognition. Only upper middle class "aspirationals" care about badge recognition, and this segment is not geared towards the upper middle class.
Old 09-03-13, 12:04 AM
dmvp29
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also when I say "465 HP" I'm using it as a euphemism for acceleration. I'm assuming the GSF will roughly have around the same curb weight as its competitors. It'll probably be lighter, but I don't anticipate simple weight savings to mitigate a 100 HP difference in this category.
Old 09-03-13, 12:26 AM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I think most of you guys should probably simmer down a bit.

If you really think about it, this GS is not the final prototype it is just A prototype. The RC-F is covered almost from head to toe because they are serious about hiding the details. This GS is not being hidden, they are barely even trying, the only thing they're hiding is the badging. I think we still have a ways to go before we see a camo'd GS-F, that is when the real discussions begin. As for now, I'm just happy they are testing. The way the LFA, 4GS, and 3IS came out, I trust Lexus to deliver a superb design for GS-F.
Old 09-03-13, 12:32 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by G Star

If you really think about it, this GS is not the final prototype it is just A prototype. The RC-F is covered almost from head to toe because they are serious about hiding the details. This GS is not being hidden, they are barely even trying, the only thing they're hiding is the badging. I think we still have a ways to go before we see a camo'd GS-F, that is when the real discussions begin. As for now, I'm just happy they are testing. The way the LFA, 4GS, and 3IS came out, I trust Lexus to deliver a superb design for GS-F.
Good points.

My money is on a boosted 5L V8 pushing shy of 600hp.
Old 09-03-13, 03:54 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by G Star

to me it looks like magazine used some existing parts and photoshop to create their development mule :-).

Japanese Mags are notoriously unreliable when it comes to product news in general.
Old 09-03-13, 06:06 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,280 Likes on 1,386 Posts

Folks, I've removed some personal commentary and rude replies from this thread. Let's keep this thread focused on the exciting news and developments.

There have been and will continue to be a lot of folks creating new threads on this same topic that will be merged here. Often with the same content that is already in this thread.... people are excited about this! There is no reason to tell them "repost", please just report the post and we'll keep all the conversation and details together.
Old 09-03-13, 10:32 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Germany’s vaunted Nürburgring is arguably the most famous test track in the world. AutoGuide’s intrepid spy photographers have just spotted the 2015 Lexus GS-F circling the famous “Green Hell,” and best of all the car was NOT camouflaged!

In effort to battle scalding-hot sport sedans like the BMW M5, Toyota’s luxury division is cooking up an ultra-high-performance version of its GS four-door. The car appears to feature a number traits found on other Lexus F models including things like quad exhaust tips, special badges and more aggressive-looking bodywork.

Beyond these give-aways the car pictured is also equipped with a special diffuser between the exhaust outlets, sporty wheels wrapped super low-profile rubber and a lip spoiler on the rear decklid.

As for what’s under this car’s hood, your guess is as good as ours. The highest performance version of the Lexus GS available in the U.S. right now is the GS450h, a hybrid. That car’s maximum output is 338 horsepower and it’s all routed through a decidedly un-sporty continuously variable transmission. An F-version of the GS will have to have more giddy-up than this with some rumors suggesting twin-turbos may be part of the package.
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...g-testing.html
Old 09-03-13, 10:38 AM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was hoping the GS-F would get a blacked out grill and more pronounced fender flares but it seems like a GS-F Sport with a big engine. Even the quad exhausts look out of place and tacked on.
Old 09-03-13, 10:56 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

It's probably a mule. Lexus would never show the GS-F uncamouflaged unless the prototype's current bodywork looks nothing like the finished product.

The RC-F is running around with its finalized bodyshell and it's camo'ed. The GS-F is farther back in development so it doesn't make sense that it would show its true appearance before the RC-F.
Old 09-03-13, 11:06 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I assume that the GS F will be available with the 2015 GS refresh, which I would guess will get the more dramatic front end treatment a la 3IS, new tail lights, etc.

For the GS F, I expect a full mesh spindle grille, updated headlights, different bumper, new tail lights, interior updates, etc.

Considering that, I assume that they are testing it under the current sheetmetal since the mechanicals will be essentially the same, but the final version will wear the look of the updated GS.
Old 09-03-13, 11:08 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also, I'd like for a video of this car to pop up. I want to hear that same RC F V8 under the hood
Old 09-03-13, 12:15 PM
LexFather

So much want!!! Please offer USB!!
Old 09-03-13, 12:49 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I assume that the GS F will be available with the 2015 GS refresh, which I would guess will get the more dramatic front end treatment a la 3IS, new tail lights, etc.

For the GS F, I expect a full mesh spindle grille, updated headlights, different bumper, new tail lights, interior updates, etc.

Considering that, I assume that they are testing it under the current sheetmetal since the mechanicals will be essentially the same, but the final version will wear the look of the updated GS.
yep... agreed.
Old 09-03-13, 01:22 PM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

You guys realize that this series of leaks and spy shots don't just happen coincidentally.

The GS F campaign has officially begun. I have no doubt that this is for real.

2015 (?) GS F will be a BEAST.
Old 09-03-13, 01:37 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by NewSpace
You guys realize that this series of leaks and spy shots don't just happen coincidentally.

The GS F campaign has officially begun. I have no doubt that this is for real.

2015 (?) GS F will be a BEAST.
^THIS. Lexus is behind these "leaks". Its all part if their marketing campaign. They are teasing us.

Quick Reply: Official Lexus RC thread