Official Lexus RC thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-13, 10:02 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New Lexus RC Coupe Detailed in Fresh Batch of Photos

Click here to view more photos

Leaving aside the exclusive, exorbitant and extremely limited production LFA and after fiddling around with coupe-convertible models like the second generation SC and IS C for more than a decade, Lexus has finally given in and presented a traditional coupe, one that a wider audience should be able to afford.

We've already provided you with a first taste of the 2015 Lexus RC, and now we can give a more detailed photo look at Lexus' BMW 4-Series and Audi A5 Coupe challenger, after several Japanese sites released a host of new pictures.

Speaking of the 4-Series, Lexus is following a very similar, if not identical path to BMW with the RC, which while based on the IS sedan, sports a more seductive body with different panels. The coupe also has a 70mm (2.8 inches) shorter wheelbase at 2,730mm (107.5 inches), but is both longer and wider by 30mm (1.2 inches) compare to the saloon.

Nevertheless, Lexus Chief Engineer Junichi Furuyama made it a point to tell Motortrend magazine that the RC is a different car than the IS:

"One thing I want to emphasize, the aim of introducing this new model RC is to add a new level of excitement to the existing Lexus lineup," he said. "This is not an IS Coupe, it is the RC, a new coupe in its own right. It is an independent model. It’s not a deviated version of the IS so it has its own unique styling and its own unique performance."

As far as powertrains are concerned, Lexus mentioned the RC 350 featuring a 3.5-liter V6 and the RC 300h with a hybrid unit pairing a 2.5-liter inline four to an electric motor, without providing any other information, so we don't know, for example, if both or only one of these units (V6) will be sold in the States. For the record, both type of engines are available in the IS sedan (the hybrid not in the States).

Lexus didn't say it, but we know for a fact that it is preparing a high-performance F version to go against the BMW M4 (see the spy shots here, and our rendering here).

http://www.carscoops.com/2013/11/new...-in-fresh.html
Old 11-06-13, 10:11 AM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

if they're able to keep these EXACT body lines for a convertible, it's another home run...if they have to bulk up the sides like they did the IS-C and even the SC, I'd rather Lexus keep it a coupe than to add a drop-top
Old 11-06-13, 10:16 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Quick question... What screen comes up when you press home in the 3IS? The 4GS has a map button instead.
Old 11-06-13, 10:17 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm quite sure there will be a convertible RC after dropping both the SC and ISc...they've got to have one. I just hope that, like you say, they don't bulk up the design too much in making it accommodate a drop top.
Old 11-06-13, 11:49 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I don't think you'll see the 2.5L V6 anymore. RC350 and RC-F, and some base turbo eventually
I would agree. The motor is small, outdated, under powerd, and can be replaced with something even more efficient
Old 11-06-13, 11:58 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

If Lexus brings out the same old 3.5 V6 mated to the 6speed auto, it will kill the excitement of this car completely.

Where the hell is the turbo engines that ppl mentioned in the other thread???
This is the perfect model to introduce a new powertrain.
Old 11-06-13, 12:12 PM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
If Lexus brings out the same old 3.5 V6 mated to the 6speed auto, it will kill the excitement of this car completely.

Where the hell is the turbo engines that ppl mentioned in the other thread???
This is the perfect model to introduce a new powertrain.
I'm thinking the RC will get the 2.0 turbo motor on its intro...as for the 6cyl turbo, that's supposedly down the line...who knows!

It's a lot of speculation on motor options from Lexus right now. all we know is that Lexus is leaning the route of boosted motors but other than the confirmed 200t trademarks, I don't think there's much else to go off of. and the 5L is most definite for the RC-F as trademarks are in place as well.

if the same V6 is carried over, I'd hope a 25-40hp bump and it will have the 8spd auto rather than the 6spd, I think the IS350 comes with the 8spd currently.
Old 11-06-13, 12:19 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

The RC350 will certainly have the 8-Speed Auto. I do hope that they massage a tiny bit more power out of the 3.5L DI V6 - because they said the RC is its own model and not a IS coupe meaning they want to make it more special. But I personally believe it'll be carry over for 1-2 years before TwinTurbo Mills start making their way as replacements
Old 11-06-13, 12:28 PM
Hoovey689

I'd like to ad, nice touch with the chrome strips between the buttons. Gives more differentiation and class, but unfortunately look at those plastic bezels which are the exact same as the IS ones. Its some of the worst grainy rough scratchy plastic I've ever experienced in a Lexus. And this isn't a $32K CT. No this is a $45K+ coupe. Spare no expense Lexus geez, you're a luxury car maker..
Old 11-06-13, 12:52 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
The RC350 will certainly have the 8-Speed Auto. I do hope that they massage a tiny bit more power out of the 3.5L DI V6 - because they said the RC is its own model and not a IS coupe meaning they want to make it more special. But I personally believe it'll be carry over for 1-2 years before TwinTurbo Mills start making their way as replacements
8speed will only be for Fsport RWD version like GS and IS most likely.
Old 11-06-13, 12:56 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
Question on everyone's mind is "Will they bring RC300h to US or will they just feed us with same ol' 2.5V6 again?"

They missed out big on not brining IS300h. IS sales numbers would have been insane if it had 3 powertrain options.
guys whats up here... we know 2.0 turbo is coming for all of these cars. Probably in 2014 as well.

I stipulated that RC might come out sooner than 2.0t engine, maybe even by April this year, hence no info on turbo in Japan, but turbo will be revealed for sure for US launch.

Japan has hybrid and V6, might not even have the turbo.
Old 11-06-13, 12:56 PM
Hoovey689

IS350 and GS350 RWD (non F-Sport) have the 8-Speed as well. So long as they aren't 250 or AWD which stick with 6-Speed Auto. RC will get 8-Speed regardless of F-Sport or Luxury trim
Old 11-06-13, 01:03 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Vh_Supra26

Looking over the photo of the Lexus RC interior, it shows a design very similar to the third-generation IS — in fact, the only noticeable difference is the new Remote Touch controller:

As seen in previous spy photos, the earlier mouse-like puck has been replaced with a touchscreen divided into four quadrants, with the HOME, MENUS & UP/DOWN buttons carried over.

There’s no mention in the press release how the new Remote Touch touchscreen might work, but I’m expecting a dramatic improvement over the previous controller — considering how important these infotainment interfaces have become to consumers, this update could be very important for Lexus in the years to come.

http://lexusenthusiast.com/2013/11/0...ch-controller/
if you look closely - leather around centre console, all around... repositioned cup holders, all together looks a lot more luxurious... also doors have a lot more leather and design, including led ambient lighting.

They basically perfected the 3IS interior.

As to the touch pad, i hope it works great... in general, on computers, people use mouse a lot easier than touch pad. Nevertheless, it looks cool and uses less space.
Old 11-06-13, 01:15 PM
alexlude
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf

As to the touch pad, i hope it works great... in general, on computers, people use mouse a lot easier than touch pad. Nevertheless, it looks cool and uses less space.
If they make them as good as Mac laptops, I would be happy...
Old 11-06-13, 01:52 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

I think the 2014 GS350 now comes with with 8-speed. Only the GS350 AWD and GS 350 F Sports
AWD comes with the Six-speed.

http://www.lexus.com/models/GS/specs/

http://www.lexus.com/models/IS/specs/

Quick Reply: Official Lexus RC thread