RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

DIY: Setting the auto blinker

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-15, 04:10 AM
GearHead69
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Default DIY: Setting the auto blinker

This is posted in the RC F section, and I thought the owners of the RC350 might also want to do this as it works. I changed my auto blinker default yesterday from 3 to 5. A big shout out to IsFast and FishBike of the RCF forum for writing this up and posting the DIY. To get it right the first time at each timed step count to 8. It also helps to turn off the stereo to concentrate.

Quoted from IsFast "The automated blinker is set at 3 blinks from the factory. I find this to be too short for all practical purposes. I tried changing it the same way I did on my GS. It worked!!! 7 blinks works perfectly for me. Here is the write-up from FishBike. "

"Just did this myself (5 blinks) and it took a few tries to get it right. The official procedure can be a little confusing to understand, and you have to do it pretty quickly as well. There is also a step they have listed in the middle that you can actually do before you start the time-critical portion, so it's easier if you do that first. I'm going to try to describe what I did in case it helps anyone:

1. Start with the car completely off.

2. Use the rotary **** on the wiper control to set how many blinks you want. This **** has four positions:

- 1st (bottom) position = 3 blinks
- 2nd position = 5 blinks
- 3rd position = 7 blinks
- 4th (top) position = no automatic blinks

3. Hold the wiper lever in the all-the-way-up position, and keep holding it there

4. With foot OFF brake pedal, press the start button twice so the gauges light up (keep holding that wiper lever up!)

5. Continue to hold the wiper lever all the way up for a count of 8 or more (if you go too fast you will have to start all over!)

6. Let the wiper lever come down one position and hold it there for a count of 8 (don't let it go back to the middle, just let it come down one position)

7. Hold with wiper lever all the way up again for another count of 8

8. Let with wiper lever come down one position again, and hold it for a count of 8

9. Let go of the wiper lever. The right turn signal should flash once. If it doesn't, turn the car off and start again at step 1.

10. Briefly move the turn signal lever down 1 position and let go of it again.

The left turn signal should flash to confirm your setting, but not in the way you might expect. It will blink 1, 2, 3, or 4 times to match where you set the rotary **** on the wiper control, so:

- 1 flash = set for 3 blinks

- 2 flashes = set for 5 blinks

- 3 flashes = set for 7 blinks

- 4 flashes = no auto blinks"
The following 4 users liked this post by GearHead69:
capmpickles (12-18-23), Crown7 (03-22-18), DFS (03-07-24), vdeleonjr (09-13-19)
Old 02-10-15, 10:47 AM
tfischer

Received 228 Likes on 168 Posts

Thanks for that tip. I was going to have the dealer do this on my next (first) service visit, but this is better, and I agree with you that 5 is probably going to work best for me.
Old 02-10-15, 11:15 AM
GearHead69
Instructor

Originally Posted by tfischer
Thanks for that tip. I was going to have the dealer do this on my next (first) service visit, but this is better, and I agree with you that 5 is probably going to work best for me.
No problem. Just remember to count to at least 8 for each timed section. I think what happens is when you push the Start button twice, and start counting the car hasn't had time to finish its start up procedure. The procedure then gets messed up.
Old 02-10-15, 01:09 PM
tfischer

Received 228 Likes on 168 Posts

I just used these directions to change my flasher to 5 instead of three. Thanks again for the secret code.
Old 02-10-15, 02:05 PM
GearHead69
Instructor

Originally Posted by tfischer
I just used these directions to change my flasher to 5 instead of three. Thanks again for the secret code.
Glad it worked for you, but we have to thank IsFast and FishBike from the RCF forum for the instructions. I just took them and put them into our section, and changed the time.
Old 02-10-15, 03:02 PM
2GSKaizen
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank YOU! Wow. I can confirm this also worked on a 2015 15 GS350, 2015 RC 350 and not on a 2015 NX hybrid. If anybody has seen the directions that Lexus gives the service department to complete this task, THIS IS MUCH EASIER!
Old 02-10-15, 03:19 PM
GearHead69
Instructor

Originally Posted by 2GSKaizen
Thank YOU! Wow. I can confirm this also worked on a 2015 15 GS350, 2015 RC 350 and not on a 2015 NX hybrid. If anybody has seen the directions that Lexus gives the service department to complete this task, THIS IS MUCH EASIER!
Excellent news, and too bad about the NX, but 2 out of 3 is not bad.

Now if someone would tell me how to program my key fob so I can open the windows and moonroof together w/o having to let the dealer do it that would be sweet.
Old 02-11-15, 06:25 AM
2GSKaizen
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GearHead69
Excellent news, and too bad about the NX, but 2 out of 3 is not bad.

Now if someone would tell me how to program my key fob so I can open the windows and moonroof together w/o having to let the dealer do it that would be sweet.
The only way you would be able to do it is to get the "Carista" app from the google play store, and an "ELM327" Bluetooth adapter. This app is $20, but it's worth every penny. In the navigation you have that "vehicle customization" folder where you can make some basic changes to how your car operates. This Carista app goes even farther. It gives you every option that the Tech's at the dealership have inside the Techstream computer. I think it's that, or the dealership for now.
Old 02-11-15, 06:50 AM
GearHead69
Instructor

Originally Posted by 2GSKaizen
The only way you would be able to do it is to get the "Carista" app from the google play store, and an "ELM327" Bluetooth adapter. This app is $20, but it's worth every penny. In the navigation you have that "vehicle customization" folder where you can make some basic changes to how your car operates. This Carista app goes even farther. It gives you every option that the Tech's at the dealership have inside the Techstream computer. I think it's that, or the dealership for now.
Thanks for the info. I downloaded the Carista app yesterday, but didn't know that I also needed the Adapter as I thought it would go though the Bluetooth in the car. Thanks again.

Just bought the ELM327 Bluetooth adapter that Carista recommended, and I will report back as to what customizations I can do with the program.

Last edited by GearHead69; 02-11-15 at 01:26 PM.
Old 02-22-15, 11:38 AM
GearHead69
Instructor

From the customization list that I posted https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...lanations.html, and using the Carista App, you do have to buy the Pro version for $19.99, you can do all the customization's that the dealer can.

Best part is now you can make any change you want, as many times as you want, and not have to pay for it. Pretty sweet.
Old 03-04-15, 01:04 PM
yok3dIS
Intermediate

Received 209 Likes on 81 Posts

Worked like a charm! Thank you!
Old 03-04-15, 04:09 PM
GearHead69
Instructor

Originally Posted by yok3dIS
Worked like a charm! Thank you!
You are very welcome.
Old 03-11-15, 11:26 AM
Thesil
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diy blinkers

Originally Posted by GearHead69
This is posted in the RC F section, and I thought the owners of the RC350 might also want to do this as it works. I changed my auto blinker default yesterday from 3 to 5. A big shout out to IsFast and FishBike of the RCF forum for writing this up and posting the DIY. To get it right the first time at each timed step count to 8. It also helps to turn off the stereo to concentrate.

Quoted from IsFast "The automated blinker is set at 3 blinks from the factory. I find this to be too short for all practical purposes. I tried changing it the same way I did on my GS. It worked!!! 7 blinks works perfectly for me. Here is the write-up from FishBike. "

"Just did this myself (5 blinks) and it took a few tries to get it right. The official procedure can be a little confusing to understand, and you have to do it pretty quickly as well. There is also a step they have listed in the middle that you can actually do before you start the time-critical portion, so it's easier if you do that first. I'm going to try to describe what I did in case it helps anyone:

1. Start with the car completely off.

2. Use the rotary **** on the wiper control to set how many blinks you want. This **** has four positions:

- 1st (bottom) position = 3 blinks
- 2nd position = 5 blinks
- 3rd position = 7 blinks
- 4th (top) position = no automatic blinks

3. Hold the wiper lever in the all-the-way-up position, and keep holding it there

4. With foot OFF brake pedal, press the start button twice so the gauges light up (keep holding that wiper lever up!)

5. Continue to hold the wiper lever all the way up for a count of 8 or more (if you go too fast you will have to start all over!)

6. Let the wiper lever come down one position and hold it there for a count of 8 (don't let it go back to the middle, just let it come down one position)

7. Hold with wiper lever all the way up again for another count of 8

8. Let with wiper lever come down one position again, and hold it for a count of 8

9. Let go of the wiper lever. The right turn signal should flash once. If it doesn't, turn the car off and start again at step 1.

10. Briefly move the turn signal lever down 1 position and let go of it again.

The left turn signal should flash to confirm your setting, but not in the way you might expect. It will blink 1, 2, 3, or 4 times to match where you set the rotary **** on the wiper control, so:

- 1 flash = set for 3 blinks

- 2 flashes = set for 5 blinks

- 3 flashes = set for 7 blinks

- 4 flashes = no auto blinks"
I just did this and it's easier than it sounds took me all of maybe two minutes and 30 seconds to do . reason I did is because I'm a sucker for doing things like this but really don't see the big difference in in a holding it down by yourself for five or seven blinks It's fun to tinker and change settings. Now if there was a way to boost torque, that would be a plus
Old 03-11-15, 01:30 PM
GearHead69
Instructor

Put in a Cold Air Intake.
Old 03-30-15, 06:18 PM
FrogBreath
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stupid question, but do these mirrors fold in somehow automatically?

Quick Reply: DIY: Setting the auto blinker